PDA

View Full Version : Routine Maintenance on an Outboard?

HunterDave
03-13-2013, 04:40 PM
I just bought a used Evinrude 15hp outboard motor and I want to order parts online and do the maintenance on it now so it's good to go in the Spring. I want to change the plugs which is easy enough but I'd also like to change the impeller.

I know how to do it but I was wondering if I should buy the complete assembly, just the impeller or the impeller and the cup (and maybe something else)?

Also, are there other parts that I should be ordering and replacing besides the plugs and whatever I need to replace the impeller?

baptiste_moose
03-13-2013, 04:49 PM
Single carb or dual carb?

HunterDave
03-13-2013, 04:54 PM
Not sure, single I think.

FishingFrenzy
03-13-2013, 05:02 PM
http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Lower_unit.htm

Not sure if this helps but check out this guy's website, he has a ton of info on older evinrudes/johnson's.

Make sure to replace the leg oil before you use it. You don't want to wear out your lower leg parts by having no oil/not enough/water in the oil. :)

Hunter Trav
03-13-2013, 05:03 PM
You'd have to tear it apart to see if it needed more than the impeller itself. Your probably ok with just ordering the impeller. I would get some seafoam to run through it to help clean out any crap that might have built up in it. After that some new plugs and you should be good to go...

HunterDave
03-13-2013, 05:33 PM
Yeah, I guess that it'd be smart to take the lower leg off and inspect things before ordering anything.

WRT the seafoam, do I just add it to my first tank of fuel or should I buy an aerosol can and spray it in when it's running?

Willowtrail
03-13-2013, 05:40 PM
I rebuilt my carb when i bought mine Dave. Simple carb kit from Ecko Marine and was a breeze to do. I also redid the fuel pump. Just simple gaskets.

Buy the screw in pump for the lower leg oil from princess auto. Make the job so much easier.

I can't wait to see you on the water in may. I'll put you on my spring walleye honey hole.

billie
03-13-2013, 05:54 PM
3 annual things for a 2-stroke outboard:
1) Fogging fluid in the fall (I prefer running to stall with fuel line disconnected)
2) Always fresh fuel in the spring (empty the tank into the truck and let it sit dry, stabilizer is for impossible situations like onboard tanks)
3) let the leg sit for at least a week before changing the oil (water settles to the bottom, always pump new oil UP)

Water and fuel pumps on hours.
Spare plugs on hand at all times:).

Big Red 250
03-13-2013, 06:06 PM
Is it not pumping water? Why change the impeller if you don't need to. I've had my 20 Johnson for over 20 years now and have had the impeller replaced 3 times (at a shop). Pull a plug, if it looks decent put it back in and carry a spare or two in your tackle box. If it's
black & crusty then change them. Change the bottom end oil. What year is your motor?

Hunter Trav
03-13-2013, 07:12 PM
Yeah, I guess that it'd be smart to take the lower leg off and inspect things before ordering anything.

WRT the seafoam, do I just add it to my first tank of fuel or should I buy an aerosol can and spray it in when it's running?

You can do both. Wouldn't hurt to give it a good fogging just cause who knows what the previous owner did or did not do. Then add some seafoam to your tank as per the instructions on the can, and go fishing when its time. Fog it again in the fall before you put it away. Other then that just make sure you treat it right with premium fuel and good synthetic oil, and you should get alot of good use from it.

baptiste_moose
03-13-2013, 07:57 PM
Like another AOP mentioned a carb kit is a great idea. Cheap and easy. I like to have my stuff running like a top at 0% throttle. Those jets are prob a tiny bit clogged. This will drive you nuts when your trying to run the motor at low throttle for trolling and it keeps stalling. This will make it easy to start as well.

Stu
03-13-2013, 09:17 PM
If your drain plug doesn't have a magnet, you'll want to run the motor right before you drop the oil. If there is any metal shavings they will mix and come out with the oil, and you will be able to see/feel them. Otherwise they'll settle and remain.

JohninAB
03-13-2013, 10:03 PM
I would take the Sea Foam and mix it in a seperate jug in about a gallon of gas and oil. Run it through with the motor in a rain barrel as what comes out may not be all that nice and engine could smoke some too. No sense in dumping that into the lake.

Lower leg oil. If motor is pumping water fine then impeller is not an urgent item. New plugs after running the Sea Foam thru. Rebuild carb after running Sea Foam if you are going to.

No need for premium fuel. 87 will serve you well.

HunterDave
03-14-2013, 12:22 AM
Thanks for the input fellas! :)

So what's the bottom line, if it ain't broken don't fix it? If the impeller's doing what it's supposed to do, don't mess with it and the same for the carb?

I'm fairly certain that the motor was well taken care of and maintained but I know darned well that it won't get done until it has to be once I've owned it for awhile.

I'll run a gallon of gas through it with seafoam like John suggested and see how it goes from there I guess.

Hunter Trav
03-14-2013, 08:29 AM
I would have the spare impeller and plugs with you on the boat, as well as the wrench needed to get the bottom of the leg off in case you need to do a change at the lake. Not a bad idea to have the carb kit or fuel pump kit on hand at home in case something happens, but for sure run the seafoam through it in the rain barrel or on the muffs. If its been well maintained you shouldn't have any issues. Enjoy the new motor when the time comes, I'm sure on a 14' you'll be happy with what you got...:)

dodgeboy1979
03-14-2013, 08:46 AM
also check the fuel filter screen on the side of the engine, you can take this off and clean it with some carb cleaner and reinstall. Also check the condition of the fuel line and primer bulb from your tank to the motor, if the bulb is really soft to the touch then replace it as well.