PDA

View Full Version : how to cook fish if i catch one on gull?

happyfisher
03-14-2013, 10:29 PM
so im going to gull and have caught 0 pike...0 perch...and 0 whitefish....8 times out....

But if i do catch something like a white i want to smoke them.....do i fillet them and just smoke them? do i leave scales on? do i season?

if pike i will shak n bake and fry.....

perch i dunno...

any recomendations?

i will try wire worms again.....no maggots and smetls for pike?

he he

happyfisher
03-14-2013, 10:32 PM
ohhh ill be on west lake road (twp 420) in yellow shack if anyone wants to come out.....

yellow shack.....and ill be sober...watching movies....

:thinking-006:

Zanzibar
03-15-2013, 12:01 AM
You'll be a Happierfisher if you tip your wireworms with a maggot, and watch the hook instead of a movie. Sight fishing @ Gull is awesome.

coppershot
03-15-2013, 12:04 AM
Fillet pike, cut it into cubes and boil in water..Dip it in garlic butter
Loon Lake Lobster give it a try

coors04
03-15-2013, 09:38 AM
Ill be at wilsons on either sat and or sun when you drive on go left, way left use a brass thunmper ( you cant get them at the sportsmans den) or a very small 5 of diamonds you will need a sensitive rod and either thump the thumper on the bottom not lifting it hight then 3 inches as fast as you can ( you can give it the odd heavy high jerk) or jig the 5 of diamonds 4-6 6 inch pulls a little off bottom and every now and then stop and give it a very fine shake for a few secounds ( giving the whites a chance to hit it) YOU WILL catch fish just give it time and its usually better earlier in the morning. GOOD LUCK and let us know if you GET LUCKY

dodgeboy1979
03-15-2013, 10:04 AM
at gull i always put big herring on a tip up, and jig a big herring for pike and burbot. perch just a small jighead with a part of a minnow, whitefish red wireworm with maggot. Patience and you will catch something.

HuyFishin
03-15-2013, 10:34 AM
i've never been to gull, might try it this sunday
Does anyone have any tips and tricks they could share

tight line
03-15-2013, 10:54 AM
Watching movies?... No wonder your not catching. Green or pink wireworm maggot tipped, 6-10 fow. Fillet, skin, debone. Hot oil. Tempura, special k crumbs, rocky madsen fish crisp. Dip fillets in egg & milk! Soooo good.

baptiste_moose
03-15-2013, 11:05 AM
Personally I would only shake and bake the pike if it has white meat. If it has yellow meat I would mix beer and flour to a smooth paste and drip larger size pike chunks in their. Then drop them in a pot of hot oil. Wolla. Beer battered fish. Potatoe slices in oil as well. Easy where ever you are.

unridaz
03-15-2013, 11:17 AM
I love these threads because I love to eat fish, and trying new cooking methods is always fun. I hate them because I get hungry often, and reading through all the recipes makes it worse.

Anyways, we usually catch a bunch of fish and then proceed to have a big fish 'n chips fest.

3 easy steps:

Make your batter with pancake mix and 7-up.
Fry the fish
Indulge

waterninja
03-15-2013, 11:50 AM
while i admire your persistance (8 outings and 0 fish) you might want to change your tactics. watching movies is okay when you have a minnow on the bottom and waiting for the bell to ring but jigging a wire worm requires a little more attention. i would also tip the wire worm with a maggott.
i was planning on trying out the new deep fryer i picked up at bass pro yesterday along with some uncle bucks fish batter but the heavy snow and cold temps. that we are getting here around edm. might delay my plans. good luck.

bubba 96
03-15-2013, 11:54 AM
Fillet pike, cut it into cubes and boil in water..Dip it in garlic butter
Loon Lake Lobster give it a try

even better with burbot...

Kyle
03-15-2013, 12:14 PM
Focus on the catching part before the cooking part.

BEL
03-15-2013, 12:14 PM
I was shown how to do this by a fella named Phil. He used burbot but I would imagine pike or whites would work also. Thoroughly dry your fillets with paper towel. Cut them into 3x3 inch pieces-dry again. In a zip lock bag throw in a bunch of butter and spices, along with some fish pieces. Zip it closed as you squeeze out the air. Carefully put the bag into a large pot of rapidly boiling water. Keep it under water. Time 12 minutes. Should be done. I can't remember if I timed it when it returned the water to a boil or when I put the bag into the water. You will have to figure that out. Delicious. BEL

AppleJax
03-15-2013, 12:27 PM
Flour and your own blend of spices.(I use paprika, pepper, and garlic powder) Bleed the fish while alive, fillet, soak fillets in water for 15 min or so. Pat dry the fillets and then flour them in a zip loc bag. Fry them in Canola oil in a cast iron pan until crispy. Add seasoning or lemon salt to finished product to taste. Hands down the best way to enjoy your fish. I find any kind of a wet batter to be messy and I think the "dough" takes away from the fish. I like to eat fish, not batter. But that's just my own personal preference, to each there own.