PDA

View Full Version : on gull now.....will i get skunked 7 times?

happyfisher
03-15-2013, 12:32 PM
On west lake rd. Red wire worm with 2 maggots and a green tear drop jid with 2 maggots

Half way down I have a small split shot 1 foot above worm...not using my cam.

Hope I get a white...

Got her 30 mins ago..........pray.......

AppleJax
03-15-2013, 12:36 PM
Hate to be "that guy" but didn't you say you've been there 8 times already?.... Got a tipup on the go for pike?

HuyFishin
03-15-2013, 12:39 PM
Let me know how your luck goes, i'm super excited to go there this sunday,

Do u see any perch down there?

happyfisher
03-15-2013, 12:47 PM
Saw 1 white

Neumanbrown
03-15-2013, 01:04 PM
lol sorry about your luck i tried the north west part of gull usaully net 2-3 pike and the limit of perch every time and even caught and released a good sized ling but no luck with the whites seen lots every time just never could get them to bite, strange your not having any luck no shortage of pike or perch there.

Neumanbrown
03-15-2013, 01:09 PM
trick to the pike through use a red len thompsen and if you can get the wiggle where it slides to side just right it drives pike crazy and catch your 3 in less then an hour oh and dont drop it on thier nose tease them with it and its when you pull it away thats when they bit and perch small hooks and orange power bait are awesome if you get the depth right on the lake your set
good luck

happyfisher
03-15-2013, 01:29 PM
Nothing since I saw the white.....

Zip-in-Z
03-15-2013, 01:31 PM
On Sylvan, at one of my favorite spots since 9:30 this morning, just came in for lunch, see a few Whites cruising about 5 ft off the bottom in 20 fow. They have no interest in my presentation until a walleye shows up, then they stop & watch suspended for a while and then disappear towards shallower water. Very slow morning, got is 2 small walleyes, perhaps the afternoon/evening will improve.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/hi.gif

Zip ....

kinwahkly
03-15-2013, 01:54 PM
Hey, happy, i saw youre Range rover? Or land rover by youre shack, i was west of you in 8 ft water, got my 3 whites with in a couple hours, used a copper wire eorm red head with no bait, caught 2 just below the ice, glad I had my flasher with me, good luck.

Graffy91
03-15-2013, 01:55 PM
I don't know, but I'm hoping for the best for ya! :sHa_shakeshout:

BEL
03-15-2013, 01:56 PM
Happy, tell us your presentation with that wire worm. I use yellow and orange with no maggots by the way. BEL

happyfisher
03-15-2013, 02:16 PM
Holy poop I caught a big white....holy.......

OK how do I clean and smoke him?

Whoooooo

Red worm I tied....with maggots......woooooooo

Freak in out

bwackwabbit
03-15-2013, 02:27 PM
Good On Ya!

Rabdo
03-15-2013, 02:33 PM
congrats man

happyfisher
03-15-2013, 02:41 PM
How do I clean and smoke this bad boy?

AppleJax
03-15-2013, 02:42 PM
Way to go! Scale it by running your knife backwards against the scales. Then fillet, brine with 3parts brown sugar 1 part non-iodized salt overnight, rinse, pat dry, smoke it for 4 hours at 150. Congrats!

happyfisher
03-15-2013, 02:48 PM
How bout just regular salt? And how much water in brine?...can I just use sugar?

AppleJax
03-15-2013, 02:56 PM
No no on the regular "iodized salt" and white sugar as well. This is a dry mix I make I don't use water. Simply rub it on the fillets and put it in a plastic container in the fridge. Look up my "smoked perch" thread from a few months back. Pretty good how to directions.

Mitchthefisher
03-15-2013, 03:12 PM
Congrats man

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
03-15-2013, 03:29 PM
Well done

Jamie Black R/T
03-15-2013, 03:34 PM
Freak in out

Lake Whites are a great challenge.

congrats!!

Lady White
03-15-2013, 04:11 PM
I'm so happy for you!! Whitefish are my favourite. Hoping to get out tomorrow depends if dad needs his truck or not!! Darn car I should have bought a truck.

JReed
03-15-2013, 04:27 PM
Can't notice bites on your line by staring at your phone

Geezle
03-15-2013, 04:32 PM
Congrats on breaking your Gull skunk! This just goes to show that perseverance does play off!

As has been suggested, you should drop down some sort of dead bait for pike as well with your second line to increase your overall odds :)

Enjoy that white! :cool:

pickrel pat
03-15-2013, 05:21 PM
Can't notice bites on your line by staring at your phone

Maybe he can read, comprehend, and type 4x faster than you. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Zip-in-Z
03-15-2013, 06:52 PM
On Sylvan, at one of my favorite spots since 9:30 this morning, just came in for lunch, see a few Whites cruising about 5 ft off the bottom in 20 fow. They have no interest in my presentation until a walleye shows up, then they stop & watch suspended for a while and then disappear towards shallower water. Very slow morning, got is 2 small walleyes, perhaps the afternoon/evening will improve.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/hi.gif

Zip ....

Went back out after lunch, packed it up at 6:00 ... no whites came out of my honey hole today, got some small walleye's, largest maybe 2 lbs, they appeared to tired, the system that came through last night/morning slowed everything down.

Zip ...

Hunter Trav
03-15-2013, 07:10 PM
No no on the regular "iodized salt" and white sugar as well. This is a dry mix I make I don't use water. Simply rub it on the fillets and put it in a plastic container in the fridge. Look up my "smoked perch" thread from a few months back. Pretty good how to directions.

Follow this thread to a "T". It makes for some amazing smoked fish. For 1 white, you won't need alot of salt and sugar, just make sure you use the 3:1 ratio. Enjoy, and congrats on finally making it happen...:cool:

fish gunner
03-15-2013, 07:40 PM
Holy poop I caught a big white....holy.......

OK how do I clean and smoke him?

Whoooooo

Red worm I tied....with maggots......woooooooo

Freak in out

My rage and loathing know no bounds at you green luck , by the of beard of crom. My lake white fish drought stands at 5yrs. Oh how your rookie fortune taunts me . Congrats on you break of the skunk . How bought some pic's.:sHa_shakeshout:

Fishing_Junkie88
03-15-2013, 08:00 PM
pics?

happyfisher
03-15-2013, 08:27 PM
I took one pic of it in my shack but I'm at a buddies place by pigeon...
So when I get back to Calgary I will load it into photo bucket

But man I butchered that thing I got like 4 little chunks....lol I need to learn to fillet....

But that fish was pretty big I think for a white....

He he

happyfisher
03-15-2013, 08:54 PM
Or if someone emails me there address privately I will email u back the pic and u can post

U
I think it was the highest white in the lake

Kim473
03-16-2013, 08:21 AM
Good on you Happy ! Search on here and you will find smoker recipes.

Rob S
03-16-2013, 10:21 AM

But man I butchered that thing I got like 4 little chunks....lol I need to learn to fillet....

He he

Here is Happyfisher' RMW

waterninja
03-16-2013, 01:43 PM
congrats on breaking your skunk. got a kick out of your posts.
is that a toilet seat around your hole? lol. got me thinking if using a toilet seat with lid would keep snow out and prevent freezing. can't wait to try it.

Kim473
03-16-2013, 02:38 PM

He he

Search Utube for fillet a white fish. Its just like filleting any other fish except on a white you need to cut out the fat and brown fat. That stuff will taint the meat when you cook it. If your gonna smoke it, scale first, then fillet and leave the skin on. Will hold the meat together when smoking.
Practice makes you better so get back out there and catch some more!

I fillet all my fish boneless, if they are too small for filleting, they go back in the water.

When I BBQ Halabit, I allways buy fillets with the skin on. Put on the grill with the meat side down first, flip and finish cooking with the skin down. When done, the skin will stick to the grate and you will have a skinless fillet for your bun. The skin helps hold the meat together. Crank up the heat and brush the grate. Finished ! Feast is on, come and get it. Sorry, Last one here gets nothing.

Damm! made my self hungry for some Hali burgers.