PDA

View Full Version : Blazer vanes

Pheasantnut
07-04-2008, 03:52 PM
Was wondering what people's thoughts are on the 2 inch blazer vanes. What are some of the pros and cons as opposed to the usual 4 inch vanes? Have to get my arrows re fletched (am I saying that right? lol) and was considering changing over to blazers. Any info would be appreciated. thx in advance. Andy

Predator
07-04-2008, 04:09 PM
I am sold on these blazers. I have used 4" and 5" feathers and vanes in all kinds of combinations of arrows and have never had anything shoot as well. I don't know if it the profile (they are taller than a normal vane) or the stiffness of them but they plain work. In prep for an antelope hunt last year, a friend and I could shoot our setups to 80 yds (as far as our sights would allow) and still get small groups. Before all of the comments start, of course I would not shoot that far for hunting especially in the winds of a S. Alta antelope hunt. Being able to shoot that far and hit everytime IN PRACTICE though sure makes the 40 yd shots seem a slam dunk.

russ
07-04-2008, 05:18 PM
the only issues I'm aware of with the blazer's are rest clearance and adhesion. To fix the 1st problem it usually just a simple matter of increasing the rest height. The second part, you need to follow Bohnings directions very carefully and make sure you dot glue on the ends of the vanes at the bases. Also make sure the shafts are prepped correctly according to the arrow manufacturers instructions. This usually means cleaning with alcohol (NOT RUBBING) or acetone. There's also a new glue available from Loc-Tite that is supposed to work very well but the name of it escapes me at the moment & I haven't tried it yet. I still have a full tube of Goat Tuff to go through 1st.

stand junkie
07-04-2008, 10:14 PM
we started shooting them this winter. fletched are own and have had great luck with them everyone we shoot with is using them. The best thing I have found is those vanes with carbon express maxima 250 and I can just about shoot any bh that I put on my arrow and shoot it good to 60 yards . The biggest thing with them is they stable your arrow so fast you get a real nice straight shot every time

wctbowtech
07-05-2008, 07:32 AM
The vanes work great, but as afew memebers have said you need to be aware of vane clearance (bow shelf and cables). The best results for fletching is clean the arrow shafts with rubbing alcohol and used Fletchtite Platinium glue. I've fletched 40 dozen or so this way and have had no problems. I always put a dab of glue on the leading and tailing edge of the fletching. I have also used instant adhesives and they work okay too. A friend has tried Goattuff and has had margainal luck. I would recommend using fletchtite platinium. It takes longer to fletch, but it works great.

mightymite007
07-05-2008, 12:31 PM
Installing arrow wraps usually fixes the adhesion problem also.

CNP
07-06-2008, 09:44 PM
Installing arrow wraps usually fixes the adhesion problem also.

X 2 on wraps

Rackmastr
07-06-2008, 11:04 PM
x3 on the wraps......I love shooting Blazers....havent had ONE problem with them with or without wraps actually.....

They are tough, accurate, and they shoot great with broadheads....

russ
07-07-2008, 07:00 AM
The only issue I have with wraps is that I use blazers to lighten up the back end of my arrow and increase the arrows FOC for better performance in the wind. Adding the wrap negates the gain.

Triple droptine
07-07-2008, 09:46 PM
I switched to Blazers this year and noticed a huge difference in arrow flight and accuracy. I would definitely suggest giving them a try...buy/make up 6 and give them a try, you will have your answer shortly.

Mountain Guy
07-07-2008, 10:34 PM
Definitely make sure you have the clearance on your rig before you make the purchase.
I really wanted to try them , but on my Diamond Black Ice c/w QAD hunter dropaway I'm pretty sure I won't have clearance to the cable and I've heard about clearance issues with the QAD rests also.
Quite often there's remedies to clearance problems , but sometimes not.

stand junkie
07-08-2008, 10:03 PM
you should have enough cable clearance I shoot them and I shoot a black ice I use a smart tune rest though

Stinky Coyote
07-17-2008, 01:33 PM
Definitely make sure you have the clearance on your rig before you make the purchase.
I really wanted to try them , but on my Diamond Black Ice c/w QAD hunter dropaway I'm pretty sure I won't have clearance to the cable and I've heard about clearance issues with the QAD rests also.
Quite often there's remedies to clearance problems , but sometimes not.

whisker bisquit my friend....cheapish too....would rather that combo with blazers than anything else available....especially for a hunting rig!

sorry, couldn't help myself...don't mean to hijack the thread into a which rest is better but hey....just remember i told ya so:tongue2::D

just havin a little fun:innocent:

russ
07-17-2008, 02:00 PM
Stinky - most discerning archers stay away from whisker biscuits ;) They tend to disturb flight enough that anal retentive guys like me stick to tried and true rests. Platinum Premiere for me, my 2nd choice would be a QAD.