PDA

View Full Version : this cant be real.

jaystev
03-15-2013, 07:42 PM
i was going through this stocking report from 2012 and when i got down to hasse lake (in pp2) i almost fell out of my chair. Did they really put walleye in that little slough?

http://mywildalberta.com/Fishing/documents/FishStockingReport-Nov01-2012.pdf

Fishing_Junkie88
03-15-2013, 07:52 PM
Im interested in this as well!!! ??

Couleestalker
03-15-2013, 07:52 PM
They also put Pike, Perch and spottail shinner

EZM
03-15-2013, 07:58 PM
9 pike, 20 spot-tail shiners, 1280 good sized perch and over 20,000 walleye.

Seems like it's all about a balanced plan ................ maybe pretty good in a few years ............ if it works .........

Fishing_Junkie88
03-15-2013, 08:01 PM
9 pike, 20 spot-tail shiners, 1280 good sized perch and over 20,000 walleye.

Seems like it's all about a balanced plan ................ maybe pretty good in a few years ............ if it works .........

Ya!! Im really hoping it does, do you know if you can keep any out of there or do you need tags??

Lefty-Canuck
03-15-2013, 08:09 PM
Ya!! Im really hoping it does, do you know if you can keep any out of there or do you need tags??

Well....the fish they put in are mostly fingerlings. They are asking to leave the fish in the lake as well, something about conservation and restablishing it....

LC

Dewey Cox
03-15-2013, 08:10 PM
Over 6 million in wab?
How do you move 6 million fish?

EZM
03-15-2013, 08:10 PM
I'm assuming you are talking about walleyes (tags).

I'd have to look at the 2013 regs...... which I have not browsed over yet.

Either way they are all 6" or so - not ready for the fry pan anyways ........ yet .....

The perch were nice sized - 6" but they need to establish before a harvest - so I'm guessing they will be good to go by .... say ..... next Thursday ......lol ..... h0rny little fornicators.

EZM
03-15-2013, 08:14 PM
Over 6 million in wab?
How do you move 6 million fish?

6.4 million 1 inch walleye might be a couple of water tank pumping trucks ..... those little walleyes will be dinner for a few perch in there.

pickrel pat
03-15-2013, 08:14 PM
Their efforts are to establish and maintain a world class spottail shiner fishery. And who said srd didnt have a plan up their sleeve the whole time?

Mutter87
03-15-2013, 08:19 PM

Man, the lakes in the area have been devestated by harvest. I'd image no tags for walleye there for 10 years or more.

Lefty-Canuck
03-15-2013, 08:27 PM
Wow they put in 20 spot tail shiners...lets hope they all stuck together in the entire lake because if one of the two 25cm pike finds that school it is game on....

LC

EZM
03-15-2013, 08:30 PM
Wow they put in 20 spot tail shiners...lets hope they all stuck together in the entire lake because if one of the two 25cm pike finds that school it is game on....

LC

lol ...... game over for those silly little spot tails ....... I am just thinking about how big and fat those 2 pike will get in such a short period ..... lol.

The other 7 might be on the menu too.

RavYak
03-15-2013, 09:56 PM
6.4 million 1 inch walleye might be a couple of water tank pumping trucks ..... those little walleyes will be dinner for a few perch in there.

Not even 1 inch, only 1 cm. I didn't even realize walleye were ever that small lol. Going to be tough for them little buggers to make it to catchable size, what I would like to know is how they counted them lol.

FishingFrenzy
03-15-2013, 10:13 PM
Not even 1 inch, only 1 cm. I didn't even realize walleye were ever that small lol. Going to be tough for them little buggers to make it to catchable size, what I would like to know is how they counted them lol.

Wow thats crazy!!! I wonder how many die just in the process of being transported? Thats a tiny freaking fish.

I would imagine they count them based on weight :sHa_shakeshout:

20 spot-tail shiners.... some of those perch would make a meal out of them.......

Kokanee9
03-15-2013, 10:16 PM
To the people that have anything to do with raising and stocking - Thanks for your work!

:)

EZM
03-15-2013, 10:56 PM
Their efforts are to establish and maintain a world class spottail shiner fishery. And who said srd didnt have a plan up their sleeve the whole time?

Do they make size 38 hooks?

How will know if the barb is pinched?

How does one measure the girth on his record catch?

Rennich98
03-15-2013, 11:47 PM
Let's hope remains a secret for a couple years

Pikehunter13
03-16-2013, 12:03 AM
Let's hope remains a secret for a couple years

Hahahaha, Well if any body wants to search up the lake in this forums they will find it.

The cat is out of the bag. Good luck.

Shouldn't have said anything.:shark:

Moosetalker
03-16-2013, 12:38 AM
I wonder if I can get spottail shiners put in my trout pond I have an aquaculture licence for it tired of feeding trout to the bloody herons. I would like to put scuds/shrimp in there allso.

That way I could harvest my own bait fish for fishing to go with my wormery:sHa_shakeshout:

Fishing_Junkie88
03-16-2013, 06:30 AM
Well....the fish they put in are mostly fingerlings. They are asking to leave the fish in the lake as well, something about conservation and restablishing it....

LC

Oh ok good to know I am not familiar with the stocking if fish that's why I asked. :)

Kim473
03-16-2013, 08:16 AM

One, two, three, and another one, and another one, etc.....

pipco
03-16-2013, 08:53 AM
I wonder if I can get spottail shiners put in my trout pond I have an aquaculture licence for it tired of feeding trout to the bloody herons. I would like to put scuds/shrimp in there allso.

That way I could harvest my own bait fish for fishing to go with my wormery:sHa_shakeshout:

I've heard guys talk of using netting of some kind to keep predatory birds out of stocked ponds. Cormorants, herons, loons and grebes can certainly thin a pond out.

Moosetalker
03-16-2013, 11:29 AM
Net would be too expensive.
1/3 acre pond had an electric fence worked fine for a bit even had an oportunity to watch the dance of the smoking crane :sHa_shakeshout: Till he got untangled. 10-14cm trout arent cheap.
Then the grasses grew being as the horse couldnt eat it and would ground it out didnt take the Herons long to figure that out.
Was a pain in the butt pulling the fence for a day then repositioning.

Have been colecting big rocks to line the shore low spots as Herons prefer to walk in on a level surface. allso heard an eagle on a post works to keep them off I know the fake gator didnt work.

baptiste_moose
03-16-2013, 11:40 AM
I know the fake gator didnt work.

hahaha. I like that idea. Too bad it failed!

Cal
03-16-2013, 01:06 PM
Wow thats crazy!!! I wonder how many die just in the process of being transported? Thats a tiny freaking fish.

I would imagine they count them based on weight :sHa_shakeshout:

20 spot-tail shiners.... some of those perch would make a meal out of them.......

I remember seeing the survival rate for stocked walleye in Outdoor Canada a few years back, realy dismal results. I'd imagine that is why they put in so many walleye. Its actualy not a bad plan IMO, instead of fighting a losing battle against the bucket brigaders just plant pike and walleye into the perch overrun trout lakes and call er good. Not quite the presige but a hell of a lot less maintenence.

HunterDave
03-16-2013, 01:49 PM
Its actualy not a bad plan IMO, instead of fighting a losing battle against the bucket brigaders just plant pike and walleye into the perch overrun trout lakes and call er good. Not quite the presige but a hell of a lot less maintenence.

I agree. Ten or 15 years ago I was pulled out some nice sized RB trout out of that lake until the bucket brigade decided to dump a bunch of perch and pike in there. There's not much point maintaining it as a trout lake with that kind of thing happening all the time.....too bad really. :(

I guess that even the "Quality Fishery" advocates realized that creating a "quality" fishery there was a losing battle because I would imagine that they would have been all over it otherwise........and they probably would have gotten support from the general public outside of their fly tying circles.

I would have preferred that those people took Hasse and turned it into something productive like they did with Muir instead of setting their sights on trying to turn an already productive lake like Dolberg into their special fly fishing lake.

Fishing_Junkie88
03-16-2013, 02:10 PM
Man, the lakes in the area have been devestated by harvest. I'd image no tags for walleye there for 10 years or more.

Ohh ok. Yah I'm not familiar with any lakes around here mostly fish rivers, but havr been exploring lake fishing more lately. So all this info is appreciated

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
03-16-2013, 03:25 PM
I agree. Ten or 15 years ago I was pulled out some nice sized RB trout out of that lake until the bucket brigade decided to dump a bunch of perch and pike in there. There's not much point maintaining it as a trout lake with that kind of thing happening all the time.....too bad really. :(

I guess that even the "Quality Fishery" advocates realized that creating a "quality" fishery there was a losing battle because I would imagine that they would have been all over it otherwise........and they probably would have gotten support from the general public outside of their fly tying circles.

I would have preferred that those people took Hasse and turned it into something productive like they did with Muir instead of setting their sights on trying to turn an already productive lake like Dolberg into their special fly fishing lake.

If Im not mistaken it was fish and wildlife who put the pike in there , it was some arm chair Biologist that thought Hasse required some perch in there also . Love there strategy of adding in pike and Walleye . Say in 5 -8 10 years there will be some dandy walleye in there . But I imagine all the poachers who will be there keeping coolers of walleye .

Moosetalker
03-16-2013, 05:40 PM
Fished Hasse in the 70s the park ranger would allow us {one friend knew him well}to fish the dock late at nite as he knew we werent camping {day use rule}
We would cast as far out and to left of center we were sure there was a spring in that area? 7-10 lb rainbows weren't uncomon.

Tried in other lakes but never had any luck night fishing anywhere else.
but then Pike were found and then fw used rotenone killed everything lake never recoverd its huge scud population it had in the 70s.

pickrel pat
03-16-2013, 06:13 PM
Hassee slough will never be a quality walleye or pike fishery. Fact.

Cal
03-16-2013, 07:29 PM
Hassee slough will never be a quality walleye or pike fishery. Fact.

True, throw some Tiger Muskies or Tiger Trout in there, make it C&R untill they get old and die. Then put in some rainbows and start all over again.

jaystev
03-17-2013, 12:06 PM
I dunno it seems pretty odd to me . Why would they waste the walleye? I cant see that lake ever sustaining them especially with any kind of harvest. Maybe they are trying to clear out the lake? I know they wont go so far as killing the lake off so maybe this is the alternative? Iknow this though that guy throwing flies looking for trout is gonna get a surprise when he pulls out a little walleye.

Graffy91
03-17-2013, 12:34 PM
I dunno it seems pretty odd to me . Why would they waste the walleye? I cant see that lake ever sustaining them especially with any kind of harvest. Maybe they are trying to clear out the lake? I know they wont go so far as killing the lake off so maybe this is the alternative? Iknow this though that guy throwing flies looking for trout is gonna get a surprise when he pulls out a little walleye.

Or a 40 lb jack hahaha

Rennich98
03-17-2013, 01:12 PM
I just got to hasse...just getting se up and will let you know how the day goes

pickrel pat
03-17-2013, 01:28 PM
I just got to hasse...just getting se up and will let you know how the day goes

Open some bellies and see what their feeding on.

EZM
03-17-2013, 02:09 PM
use small hooks ...... size 38 baited with half a fruit fly.

Rennich98
03-17-2013, 02:17 PM
Millions of dead 6 inch walleye as far as the eye can see(on camera)

Mutter87
03-17-2013, 03:10 PM
Millions of dead 6 inch walleye as far as the eye can see(on camera)

The Pike should have big bellies then haha.

Rennich98
03-17-2013, 03:25 PM
The Pike should have big bellies then haha.

Ya...all 9 of them...but even they are probably dead

pickrel pat
03-17-2013, 03:43 PM
Seeing anything alive?

chriscosta
03-17-2013, 06:38 PM
thats wierd how a bazzilion perch could live in there along with good numbers of trout for years but a few walleye n pike winterkill just like that :thinking-006:maybe the bird poop ... its really too bad had good fun out there before

deanmc
03-17-2013, 07:10 PM
I'm assuming you are talking about walleyes (tags).

I'd have to look at the 2013 regs...... which I have not browsed over yet.

Either way they are all 6" or so - not ready for the fry pan anyways ........ yet .....

The perch were nice sized - 6" but they need to establish before a harvest - so I'm guessing they will be good to go by .... say ..... next Thursday ......lol ..... h0rny little fornicators.

Centimetres not inches.

Rennich98
03-17-2013, 08:19 PM
Seeing anything alive?

Didn't see anything...the only thing that moved was a bunch of water bugs

EZM
03-17-2013, 09:24 PM
Centimetres not inches.

The walleye were 6" ....... 14-15 cm = ~6" for the walleye

Perch were smaller should have said 4" on perch (looks like 12 cm on report) ....This one was a typo ..... I was in a hurry packing my stuff to get out there for a good feed .......lol

It would suck if the walleye did, in fact winterkill, I hope you are pulling our legs on seeing all that carnage out there ...... what a waste ...... those could have been snacks wasted for Wabamun's pike ...

Rennich98
03-17-2013, 10:15 PM
The walleye were 6" ....... 14-15 cm = ~6" for the walleye

Perch were smaller should have said 4" on perch (looks like 12 cm on report) ....This one was a typo ..... I was in a hurry packing my stuff to get out there for a good feed .......lol

It would suck if the walleye did, in fact winterkill, I hope you are pulling our legs on seeing all that carnage out there ...... what a waste ...... those could have been snacks wasted for Wabamun's pike ...

It was a terrible sight...I should've taken pics to have proof but they would've been pretty blurry...there was tons of dead little walleye all around us and I'm sure it's the same around the whole lake...I'd like to meet someone who could even see a fish in that lake let alone catch one...anyone would be better off going to wabamun...

Outt and Aboutt
03-18-2013, 12:16 PM
That's sad to hear, but perhaps finding out if this would happen was part of the stocking strategy.

I guess that leaves us the spot-tails to target. Maybe the mods can sticky a shiner recipe thread for us.
I'll start with my favourite:

20 spot-tail shiners, filleted
fry for 6-8 seconds in butter
place on a cracker (or half a cracker if you're using one of those big saltines)
enjoy the cracker

EZM
03-18-2013, 03:32 PM
It was a terrible sight...I should've taken pics to have proof but they would've been pretty blurry...there was tons of dead little walleye all around us and I'm sure it's the same around the whole lake...I'd like to meet someone who could even see a fish in that lake let alone catch one...anyone would be better off going to wabamun...

You might want to let one of the Biologits at SRD know what you saw ..... I'm sure they would over there in a hurry to see how bad the winterkill was.

McLeod
03-18-2013, 03:41 PM
their efforts are to establish and maintain a world class spottail shiner fishery. And who said srd didnt have a plan up their sleeve the whole time?

lmao !

Lakers
03-19-2013, 09:11 AM
What a joke.
Wasted $$$$ collecting the walleye eggs from whereever, waste of money raising the little walleye, waste of walleye dumping them into a winterkill slew instead of where they can be used by anglers down the road.

EZM
03-19-2013, 09:24 AM
I wonder if adding additional aeration equipment would help .....what a shame