PDA

View Full Version : Frabill commander max 1 tent install question

Sundancefisher
03-16-2013, 11:11 AM
Storm guard system is the coiled plastic molding that came in the box. So am I reading the instructions right that at the back of the tent I tuck excess tent material under the plastic lip of the base. Then push the molding over the tent material and base lip. Then I am supposed to put screws through the molding, through the tent material and into the plastic base?

Anyone out there with one of these tents?

bwackwabbit
03-16-2013, 11:30 AM
Storm guard system is the coiled plastic molding that came in the box. So am I reading the instructions right that at the back of the tent I tuck excess tent material under the plastic lip of the base. Then push the molding over the tent material and base lip. Then I am supposed to put screws through the molding, through the tent material and into the plastic base?

Anyone out there with one of these tents?

Yes and it's important to have it go all the way through and out the rubber moulding on the inside of the base lip as well. It's handy to have a pair of pliers w/you during this step to pinch it tight as you screw it through.

Sundancefisher
03-16-2013, 11:35 AM
Yes and it's important to have it go all the way through and out the rubber moulding on the inside of the base lip as well. It's handy to have a pair of pliers w/you during this step to pinch it tight as you screw it through.

Freaks me out putting holes in the fabric. How do you make the molding fit the tight corners?

Moosetalker
03-16-2013, 11:44 AM
Just finished doing that part on a Flipmo3.

It was the hardest part of the assembly process. Prob as its an insulated top and back sides were easier.

Make sure the rubber is good and warm! clothes pins to hold fabric in place on base and to hold skirt up. Unless you got help
Found that a pair of big channel lock pliers worked best to seat and pinch in.

Sure wish the world manufacturing sector would join the future and discover the Robertson head screw Phillips are good for drywall only!!!:argue2:

bwackwabbit
03-16-2013, 11:52 AM
Freaks me out putting holes in the fabric. How do you make the molding fit the tight corners?

I placed screws 1.5" in from each corner while my wife held the corner up and it held once I was done.

kinwahkly
03-16-2013, 11:57 AM
also if you pre heat the moulding or put it in a bucket of haot water its easier to bend, then drill thru fabric and base of tent, Ive had my Commando for 2 seasons now and its a real durable tent.

Sundancefisher
03-16-2013, 06:20 PM
Got it put together. Thanks for the help. I am thinking now I just need the runner kit and the cover.

bwackwabbit
03-16-2013, 08:15 PM
Build a "Smitty Sled" for it. Cheaper than 1/2 a runner kit and pulls like there's nothing back there (these things pull like a brick on their own).

Cover is a lifesaver when hopping spot to spot behind the truck/sled/atv.

Sundancefisher
04-21-2013, 10:09 PM
Finally got my hyfax runner kit. Installed it today and it seemed to go ok. I was thinking about water getting in the holes on the bottom but if it happens I will try and seal it up.

Now I finished winterizing it and ready for storage.

Fishing work is never finished. :)