PDA

View Full Version : Wab Friday afternoon

Geezle
03-16-2013, 12:00 PM
Well, it's not a huge trip report, but it's been a while since I've posted much on here, so I'll take a swing at it anyway...

First off, why the hell is Wab the only place I can catch a freakin lake white?! :sign0176:

I found myself with some free time yesterday, so I loaded up my gear and decided to test out the 4x4 on the old Dodge I picked up for work. My tires suck, but the 4x4 works good!

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/GeezleHerps/20130315_143350_zps0d205f88.jpg

So it was probably close to 1pm by the time I finally got all set up and got my lines in the water. Since this was an unplanned trip I didn't have a chance to charge my camera batteries, so I pretty much got my baits set where I wanted them and then turned it off...only turning it on occasionally to take a quick look and then turning it back off again. Well one of the times I turned it on and saw two whites circling around one of my baits, occasionally trying to take a swipe at it. At first I tried to get them with the pike bait, and I'm sure if I was patient enough I could have done it, but patient I am not! I ran outside and grabbed one of my perch rods, armed with a 1/32oz jig and an orange Power Nymph. I dropped it down and the one white that was still there took a quick look at it and then went back to picking at my pike bait. I quickly reeled up and put a pink Power Nymph on instead of the orange and dropped it back down, and as soon as the white saw it, he sucked it in with no hesitation whatsoever.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/GeezleHerps/20130315_150742_zpsdb84357d.jpg

A little later in the day I had the same thing happen...turn on the cam and see a white cruising around my pike bait. This time I had the perch rod ready and fired down my jig with the pink Power Nymph and *SLURP!* it went as soon as the hook dropped down and the white saw it...again, with no hesitation. My hook didn't even make it to the bottom.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/GeezleHerps/20130315_150759_zpsdb1e3cb1.jpg

Aside from that little bit of excitement I also landed a couple smallish pike, lost a couple more (one felt like it was BIG but I didn't get a chance to see it) and I missed another big one that I'm guessing by what I saw on the cam had to have been well over 10lbs :mad0100:

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/GeezleHerps/2013-03-15152219_zps09f4ca19.jpg
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/GeezleHerps/20130315_150924_zpsf0cfd497.jpg

All in all not terrible for just being out there for the afternoon...I only stayed until around 6 and was back in the city before dark.

I also love getting out on weekdays instead of the weekend and avoiding the crowds. I think I only saw 1 or 2 vehicles by the marina and I was all by myself all afternoon...love it!

bwackwabbit
03-16-2013, 12:37 PM
Looks like fun, great being alone on the lake for sure.

Glad to some posts from you again.

pickrel pat
03-16-2013, 01:04 PM
Wab has a 0 limit. Aprox km from manning to edm is 600 and hockey trumps curling. Great lookin whitefish.

waterninja
03-16-2013, 01:11 PM
isn't that the way it goes. one place you can't keep a white and bingo. i am also planning on trying out the 4x4 on an older truck i just bought as soon as i finish marathon snow shovelling.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
03-16-2013, 02:51 PM
Right on Jay I was thinking o myself the other day if you'd quick ice Fishin to lol kidding aside good trip . Nice wheels .

Kim473
03-16-2013, 03:07 PM
Right on Jay I was thinking o myself the other day if you'd quick ice Fishin to lol kidding aside good trip . Nice wheels .

X2 On the wheels.

Looks alot like my Dakota. Your tires look like they have a lot of tread ? Mabe Next time turn the switch that has a little light that shows 4 High to on! A full tank of gas and 200 lbs of wieght in the back help a lot.

Next winter, get a few sand bags, the gravel kind and not str8 sand. Has helped me in the past many times, even more so with a 4X4. They seem to get you stucker. Or mabe its cause you think you can go where no woman/man has gone before.

zepf
03-16-2013, 04:21 PM
Thanx for the report and welcome back.

AppleJax
03-16-2013, 04:39 PM
Ill dig out those tire chains for you Jay, bring em to wing night for you

Geezle
03-16-2013, 05:21 PM
X2 On the wheels.

Looks alot like my Dakota. Your tires look like they have a lot of tread ? Mabe Next time turn the switch that has a little light that shows 4 High to on! A full tank of gas and 200 lbs of wieght in the back help a lot.

Next winter, get a few sand bags, the gravel kind and not str8 sand. Has helped me in the past many times, even more so with a 4X4. They seem to get you stucker. Or mabe its cause you think you can go where no woman/man has gone before.

This is a '96 Ram 1500...no switch for my 4x4, just the ol' shifter on the floor :) The tires look beefy, but really if you look close there's not a ton of tread left on them, though they'll do for the moment. I definitely need some weight back there though...that would definitely make a big difference!

Geezle
03-16-2013, 05:23 PM
Thanx for the report and welcome back.

:lol: I wasn't actually gone anywhere...much like some other members I just haven't been posting as much ;)

I'll be out again tomorrow so maybe I'll have something else to report then :)

Geezle
03-16-2013, 05:24 PM
Ill dig out those tire chains for you Jay, bring em to wing night for you

And then I will be invincible!!! :evilgrin:

AppleJax
03-16-2013, 06:46 PM
And then I will be invincible!!! :evilgrin:

:sSig_cool2:

Geezle
03-16-2013, 06:49 PM
:sSig_cool2:

That'll buff right out! :bad_boys_20:

Willowtrail
03-16-2013, 08:56 PM
Great post Geezle. Beats the steak sandwich I couldn't make it to.

Hope you made out good today.

Alberta Bigbore
03-16-2013, 09:05 PM
.much like some other members I just haven't been posting as much ;)

:)

gratz on some fish

Geezle
03-16-2013, 09:18 PM
:)

gratz on some fish

Did somebody really cry about me taking a pic while the jaw spreaders were still in the fish's yap?

Now I recall why I laid off posting for a while...:rolleyes:

Geezle
03-16-2013, 09:19 PM
Great post Geezle. Beats the steak sandwich I couldn't make it to.

Hope you made out good today.

Today got postponed til tomorrow...didn't you hear? Sunday is the new Saturday!

silverdoctor is coming out too...you should join us if you're not busy :cool:

Alberta Bigbore
03-16-2013, 09:20 PM
Did somebody really cry about me taking a pic while the jaw spreaders were still in the fish's yap?

Now I recall why I laid off posting for a while...:rolleyes:

ya.. by not posting .. that lets the trolls win but to each their own. Not going to lose sleep over it, lol. He was a previous bannee. So your thread helped track him down:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Geezle
03-16-2013, 09:30 PM
ya.. by not posting .. that lets the trolls win but to each their own. Not going to lose sleep over it, lol. He was a previous bannee. So your thread helped track him down:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Par for the course :lol:

Funny thing is I didn't even see it...just heard about it from the word on the street...yo :sSig_cool2:

At any rate, thanks for cleaning it up post-haste :cool:

silverdoctor
03-16-2013, 10:51 PM
yeah, won't be driving my car out on the lake tomorrow.

Here's hoping for good weather in the AM, it was gusting out there pretty good tonite.

Lefty-Canuck
03-16-2013, 11:25 PM
yeah, won't be driving my car out on the lake tomorrow.

Here's hoping for good weather in the AM, it was gusting out there pretty good tonite.

Lots of snow falling in my neck of the woods....really coming down and adding up.

LC

EZM
03-16-2013, 11:25 PM
Sounds like a good day ........... better than work ...........how thick was the good ice? I assume it's firming up again ........

silverdoctor
03-16-2013, 11:30 PM
Light snowfall, supposed to be like this all night I think, ending in the afternoon.

Willowtrail
03-16-2013, 11:47 PM
Today got postponed til tomorrow...didn't you hear? Sunday is the new Saturday!

silverdoctor is coming out too...you should join us if you're not busy :cool:

I'm buried up to my neck doing books. Need these done so i can proceed with the Big D. Thanks for the invite.

Plus i have a family breakfast to go to. :)

fishinggeek
03-17-2013, 10:48 AM
Anyone bin out sat or this am. Can a truck still drive on with all the snow. Planning on taking the young one out at fall is pt. And nice work geezle, maybe see u out there.

Fishing_Junkie88
03-17-2013, 10:53 AM
Nice pics man. Lol I never get over how big they can open they're mouths, could probably shove ny fist in there.

Geezle
03-17-2013, 11:28 AM
Anyone bin out sat or this am. Can a truck still drive on with all the snow. Planning on taking the young one out at fall is pt. And nice work geezle, maybe see u out there.

As long as you have 4wd you're good to go :)

fishinggeek
03-17-2013, 12:01 PM
Tks geezle were headed out now. Gonna have the fam with set up our fold up hut with a fire stove going :)) prob my last ice trip in Alberta this season. Hope for a monster....

Remi3006
03-17-2013, 04:09 PM
^ looking forward to these pics!!