PDA

View Full Version : OMG smoked white fish

happyfisher
03-16-2013, 10:22 PM
I smoked a white.... where have I been my whole life?

I could live off this stuff.....this is crazy....I need to catch more......I need to

I will fish for a billion whites.....holy crap.....so yummy.

God please let me catch more.....please...

Let's go get some....holy crap......please lord...

I need to go to gull.......let's all go....

fish99
03-16-2013, 10:33 PM
see you tomorrow

Alberta Bigbore
03-16-2013, 10:35 PM
Tell us how good it really tasted.. dont hold back, lol

silverdoctor
03-16-2013, 10:53 PM
sounds like it was good lol. never tried whitefish.

Lady White
03-17-2013, 06:05 AM
Now you understand. See you at Gull today maybe. Still in bed haven't looked outside weather network says it's a mess.

Kim473
03-17-2013, 06:15 AM
We got another 5 - 10 cm of snow in Edmonton overnight. More snow blowing for me, yaaaaaaaaa. Hope it stops soon. I would like to hit Gull for the last time of the season on Sat the 23rd. Hope its sunny and warm next week. How much snow hit Gull and the reddeer area this last week?

I got to get me a smoker, or make me one.

Brent_reid
03-17-2013, 03:56 PM
Hmmmm and you havent even tried the candied smoked fish yet lol

Guitarplayingfish
03-17-2013, 05:42 PM
I have only tried it once before... Didnt really appeal to me. Maybe I will try some more in the near future.

What did you use as a brine? Did you gut it and put the whole thing in or did you fillet it?

aulrich
03-18-2013, 08:59 AM
I keep a smoker load or two (the smoker holds 5) of whitefish every winter. I have smoked them guttedt and scaled but this year I did filleted. I find that I like it better filleted, it's easier to control. I like it drier, basically close to jerky. I dry brine, 50/50 mix of Salt (morten or Kosher) I am down to about a tablespoon per pound of fish.

White fish debone just like pike.

OK, what is this candied stuff you speak of.

On the troll note, some one need to read up on the relationship between the age of a reservoir and it's fish population.

Safety D
03-18-2013, 09:02 AM
Ya I have 30 fillets in my freezer. Its the best !!!

Andrzej
03-18-2013, 09:25 AM
Dry Brine

4 cups dark brown sugar
1 cup non-iodized salt (canning & pickling or kosher salt)
10-15 cloves of garlic

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r299/Andrzej77/IMG_0640.jpg

happyfisher
03-19-2013, 09:18 PM
im gunna kill every white fish i see.....

ill catch them in the creeks this year...fly fishing 30 years....ice fishing 2 years....

night night whites

DiabeticKripple
03-19-2013, 09:33 PM
Ya I have 30 fillets in my freezer. Its the best !!!

Dry Brine

4 cups dark brown sugar
10-15 cloves of garlic

hope you guys dont live alone haha

happyfisher
03-19-2013, 09:44 PM
Kripple.....lets do this......i suck at ice fishing.....i want a billion...any creeks u fish? i fish crowsnest......

happyfisher
03-19-2013, 09:46 PM
and do u have a house as a smoker? how do u clean them.... i butchered mine....

DiabeticKripple
03-19-2013, 09:47 PM
bow river is full of em

Bhflyfisher
03-19-2013, 09:59 PM
they are tasty will admit that.

I know this is like opening a can of worms, im just curious about the regs for possession limits in a situation like this.

happyfisher
03-19-2013, 10:00 PM
OMG....sorry bro.... dont eat fish out of the bow....caught TONS of fish in the bow...never thought of keeping one....

DiabeticKripple
03-19-2013, 10:01 PM
we have kept them above calgary and they taste fine. i wouldnt eat any downstream of bearspaw

happyfisher
03-19-2013, 10:06 PM
i just cant....finding condoms and tampons.....scum....dead stuff.....just not for me.....bow lake was almost shut down over toxic solubles....ill hit the mountains from streams i trust.....maybe im over reacting..... thanks bro

happy

Outcast
03-20-2013, 07:25 AM
im gunna kill every white fish i see.....

ill catch them in the creeks this year...fly fishing 30 years....ice fishing 2 years....

night night whites
The other guy might of got booted and I get why......but this statement was disgusting

MTB_FlyFisher
03-20-2013, 11:12 AM
I have 30 fillets in my freezer.
im gunna kill every white fish i see.

I'm a bit confused, and really hope I'm wrong (which is really quite possible since I'm rather new to fishing), but according to the regs:
The province-wide maximum possession (defined as "The maximum number of fish you may have, including fish at your home and fish caught under a special harvest licence, for each game fish species") for white fish appears to be 5 total.

Safety, if you have 30 fillets, isn't that a total of 15 fish?
Happy, Do you really plan to kill EVERY whitefish you encounter? Limits be damned?

I guess where most of my confusion comes from is that I'm constantly reading stories here of peeps complaining about 'new Canadians' disregarding limits or straight up poaching, but apparently it's totally fine to do if you're a 'good ole boy'?

It really seems rather hipocritical to me.

kostianych
03-20-2013, 11:16 AM
lake white fish posession limit is 10.....

day limit is different for every water body.....

gull - 3, silvan - 5, mcgreagor - 10......

so, 30 filets - 15 fish.......breaking low right there.........and not smart enough to admit it.......

kostianych
03-20-2013, 11:20 AM
hope you guys dont live alone haha

+ 1 on that.....even if they don`t live alone, how many licenses they have????

aulrich
03-20-2013, 11:23 AM
It's also a function, of how many lagitamate fisherfolks (spirit of the law) there are in the house, though every kid in the house under 16 can have a limit (letter of the law).

HuyFishin
03-20-2013, 11:44 AM
looks like a fish Holocaust :thinking-006:

Andrzej
03-20-2013, 11:54 AM
Hey Guys

You know that there is commercial fishing for whitefish and for about 6$ a piece you can get as many as you want from Gull Lake or other lakes.

And there is no Lake Whitefish in Bow, it is Rocky Mountain WF.

MoFugger21
03-20-2013, 11:59 AM
Hey Guys

You know that there is commercial fishing for whitefish and for about 6$ a piece you can get as many as you want from Gull Lake or other lakes...

/thread

happyfisher
03-20-2013, 12:06 PM
im gunna kill all i can legally keep.....

is this site for fish cops?

......do people mind there own business? get reel.....

kick me off i wont care....i have a life...unlike some who post stupid garbage....

Mike_W
03-20-2013, 12:12 PM

so, 30 filets - 15 fish.......breaking low right there.........and not smart enough to admit it.......

For the record while 10 may be the possesion limit for Alberta they must be from different lakes or a lake that allows a possession of 10.
You cannot have 10 Gull lake whites in your freezer even it they were caught on 4 different trips.... 3 max FYI
Possession limits are lake specific.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
03-20-2013, 12:40 PM
im gunna kill all i can legally keep.....

is this site for fish cops?

......do people mind there own business? get reel.....

kick me off i wont care....i have a life...unlike some who post stupid garbage....

Nope its not but there are several of them that are members here and they check things out , not to mention people who report such comments as you made earlier . And there have been at least 3 charges made by members who come here posting pictures like the one above . You need to be accountable for what you say , as you may find Fish and Wildlife officers knocking at your door looking for answers . And you think you might be able to hide from the Internet but they track you down .

BeeGuy
03-20-2013, 12:51 PM
Hey Guys

You know that there is commercial fishing for whitefish and for about 6$ a piece you can get as many as you want from Gull Lake or other lakes.

And there is no Lake Whitefish in Bow, it is Rocky Mountain WF.

There is indeed lake whitefish in the bow

pickrel pat
03-20-2013, 12:53 PM
I love how people jump to conclusions.... Sheeesh. Btw i have abot 30 walleye fillets in my freezer. Go ahead... Anyone think i have to much? I live alone btw. Anyone?

huntsfurfish
03-20-2013, 12:56 PM
I love how people jump to conclusions.... Sheeesh. Btw i have abot 30 walleye fillets in my freezer. Go ahead... Anyone think i have to much? I live alone btw. Anyone?

I agree.:)

Hunter Trav
03-20-2013, 01:05 PM

You have too much...:rolleye2:

pickrel pat
03-20-2013, 01:11 PM
You have too much...:rolleye2:

Nah... I love walleye. I eat it every second day.

03-20-2013, 01:26 PM
and do u have a house as a smoker? how do u clean them.... i butchered mine....

I suggest that you study this video so next time you maximise the meat you get from all your whitefish . A good sharp Fillet knife works wonders .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2TZ8Q-X8pQ

MTB_FlyFisher
03-20-2013, 01:27 PM
It's also a function, of how many lagitamate fisherfolks (spirit of the law) there are in the house, though every kid in the house under 16 can have a limit (letter of the law).
Aulrich, thanks very much for pointing that out. There's only one license in my household so I often forget to consider extrapolating limits for more than one person.

For the record while 10 may be the possesion limit for Alberta they must be from different lakes or a lake that allows a possession of 10.
You cannot have 10 Gull lake whites in your freezer even it they were caught on 4 different trips.... 3 max FYI
Mike, likewise thanks for the information.

pickrel pat
03-20-2013, 01:30 PM

Maybe hes smarter than you. Maybe he bought some such as i do.

happyfisher
03-20-2013, 02:30 PM
wow i was wrong...only 1/10 people who post here have a problem....with everything

if u dont know if you are the 1/10......u are the problem

huntsfurfish
03-20-2013, 02:33 PM
wow i was wrong...only 1/10 people who post here have a problem....with everything

if u dont know if you are the 1/10......u are the problem

Whats that supposed to mean?:);)

Outcast
03-20-2013, 02:34 PM
For the record. I don't have an issue with people keeping fish in accordance with the law. I do have an issue with idiots saying "they are going to kill every whitefish they see". It echoes disrespect for what we have.

I was at Gull last weekend with my Father and we kept 5 whites. Would have been 4 but i injured one while handling it. Landed at least 25 between the 2 of us.

happyfisher
03-20-2013, 02:40 PM
congratulations.....now thats info...keep that up with less judgement and opinion....unless someone asks......but chances are they wont

OMG fish cops at my door to check my freezer.....did i take the weed and moonshine out....OMG!!!!

:bad_boys_20:

03-20-2013, 02:50 PM
congratulations.....now thats info...keep that up with less judgement and opinion....unless someone asks......but chances are they wont

OMG fish cops at my door to check my freezer.....did i take the weed and moonshine out....OMG!!!!

:bad_boys_20:

Hey I was trying to help you out as you appear to be new to all this . Real mature reply .

happyfisher
03-20-2013, 02:56 PM
see u cant stop with OPINION.......gezzz....but i do appreciate you trying to help....

thanks

kostianych
03-20-2013, 02:58 PM

my bad...you are right......

kostianych
03-20-2013, 03:01 PM
Maybe hes smarter than you. Maybe he bought some such as i do.

and maybe more than you are.....
if I want fish - I catch if...I don`t buy fish from a guy with a commercial license...

pickrel pat
03-20-2013, 03:05 PM
if I want fish - I catch if...I don`t buy fish from a guy with a commercial license...

Thats awsome man!!!!! :bad_boys_20:

aulrich
03-20-2013, 03:07 PM
OK lets get this back to where it needs to be, smoked fish a topic almost as important as bacon.

With the dry brine do you rinse the fillets off before they hit the smoker?

with my 50/50 brine I do, but I am not sure that is the right way.

Dry Brine

4 cups dark brown sugar
10-15 cloves of garlic

happyfisher
03-20-2013, 03:11 PM
ok ur perfect.....i tried 1/3 salt...and 2/3 brown sugar.....too salty for me....but yummmmm

good job.....i like u

pickrel pat
03-20-2013, 03:12 PM
and maybe more than you are.....

My point was.... Its guys like you that do little math equations..."30 fillets divided by 2 fillets a fish = 15 fish. " then call out someone for being a poacher not knowing if the fish were obtained LEGALLY...make this site sad. Think before you speak. Im sure safetyD doesnt appreciate being called a poacher from the likes of ill informed peaple such as yourself.

pickrel pat
03-20-2013, 03:18 PM
Srry to everyone else for my rant. Im done.:)

happyfisher
03-20-2013, 03:24 PM
pat is 1/10

kostianych
03-20-2013, 03:32 PM
My point was.... Its guys like you that do little math equations..."30 fillets divided by 2 fillets a fish = 15 fish. " then call out someone for being a poacher not knowing if the fish were obtained LEGALLY...make this site sad. Think before you speak. Im sure safetyD doesnt appreciate being called a poacher from the likes of ill informed peaple such as yourself.

:) bla-bla-bla-bla......

happyfisher
03-20-2013, 03:34 PM
kost in NOT 1/10

:sHa_shakeshout:

MTB_FlyFisher
03-20-2013, 04:22 PM
i have a life...unlike some who post stupid garbage....

I could live off this stuff.....this is crazy....I need to catch more......I need to

I will fish for a billion whites.....holy crap.....so yummy.

God please let me catch more.....please...

Let's go get some....holy crap......please lord...
pat is 1/10
kost in NOT 1/10

Nono please, tell us more about how you have a life and hate people that post stupid garbage.

Actually Pat, it was me that initially called attention to the fact. As mentioned in my first post I'm still a new fisherman and occassionally get confused by the regulations. It was pointed out in the thread that there is absolutely a legel way (or two) that Safety could have his 15 fish in the freezer, some other regs were talked about, and hopefully some peeps participating in and browsing this thread got to learn a little something. And all of this was done (mostly) with respect. I'd say that it's been a pretty good discussion and I'm not really sure how that makes this site sad?

pickrel pat
03-20-2013, 05:24 PM
Nono please, tell us more about how you have a life and hate people that post stupid garbage.

Actually Pat, it was me that initially called attention to the fact. As mentioned in my first post I'm still a new fisherman and occassionally get confused by the regulations. It was pointed out in the thread that there is absolutely a legel way (or two) that Safety could have his 15 fish in the freezer, some other regs were talked about, and hopefully some peeps participating in and browsing this thread got to learn a little something. And all of this was done (mostly) with respect. I'd say that it's been a pretty good discussion and I'm not really sure how that makes this site sad?
Well said..
Just re read what i said and i think youll comprehend my point. Basically it says people who jump to conclusions( in a negative way) and voice their uneducated/ignorant(means unknowing) comments make it a sad place. Know 100% about your accusations before posting and belittling other members. Is it right to call people poachers without knowing? Is it right to not apolagize after making accusations only to find out you were the wrong one?

MTB_FlyFisher
03-20-2013, 06:16 PM
Well said..
Just re read what i said and i think youll comprehend my point. Basically it says people who jump to conclusions( in a negative way) and voice their uneducated/ignorant(means unknowing) comments make it a sad place. Know 100% about your accusations before posting and belittling other members. Is it right to call people poachers without knowing? Is it right to not apolagize after making accusations only to find out you were the wrong one?

Although I'd mostly agree with everything you've said above, I think it's because there's occasionally people that show up in threads posting without knowing 100% what's going on that lead to these informative discussions. There does certainly need to be a bit of respect from both sides when this happens though (or at least more than what typically occurs when these types of threads pop up).

Either way, sorry for the derail.

Sounds like I may need to chat with a fishing buddy from Red Deer with a smoker to try out some smoked whitefish.
- Would there be a difference between a smoked lake white vs. a smoked rocky mountain white, or is either of them a good choice for smoking? (LOL - are they even different fish, or is the distinction basically due to their environment?)
- Are there any other fish (ie. goldeye) which might be good to try smoked?

msguns
03-20-2013, 06:23 PM
I pretty well like anything smoked. Keep in mind it's not just the fish, it's how you smoked it. So, remember your recipe and steps. And feel free to share the info... or the product.

pickrel pat
03-20-2013, 06:24 PM
Smoked goldeye is popular in manitoba i think. Winnipeg goldeye.... Bigbore would know.

Safety D
03-20-2013, 06:45 PM
My fillets were netted in Pigeon. the smart way to do it. Not sitting in a tent wasting time to catch very little.

03-20-2013, 06:45 PM
Smoked goldeye is popular in manitoba i think. Winnipeg goldeye.... Bigbore would know.

Darn rights they are some smoked goldeye to munch on while your kitty Fishin . Going back this summer .

Andrzej
03-20-2013, 08:23 PM
OK lets get this back to where it needs to be, smoked fish a topic almost as important as bacon.

With the dry brine do you rinse the fillets off before they hit the smoker?

with my 50/50 brine I do, but I am not sure that is the right way.

I think that filleting whitefish for smoking is to wasteful.
We remove scales, cut the head off behind the gills open abdominal cavity to the vent than remove entrails, it is important to remove blood that is attached to the spine and than I cut ribcage off on one side. So we end up with one half that has spine and ribs and other with ribcage only and both have pinbones in them.
Once fish is smoked you can eat meat and all bones are easy to find and discard and no wasted flesh.
We use dry brine and it is 1/5 of pickling salt, 4/5 of brown sugar and garlic.

4 cups dark brown sugar
10-15 cloves of garlic freshly pressed

Halves are brined for about 6 hr than are individually rinsed and DRIED. You need to dry it to develop pellicle. 4-6 hrs at room temp, once they dry to touch they go for smoker.
Low and slow couple hrs of smoke and than drying in smoker with heat only to desired doneness.

And for all those assxxles with accusing comments ... if you don't know regulations you can ask questions and not make presumptions.

And "fish holocaust" comment is so inappropriate and disrespectful that I would ban you from this site for life.

I hope somebody does.

350 mag
03-21-2013, 05:06 AM
You can dip net up to 25 in fall when they are sspawning in Manitoba ....I usually use them for bait for Lakers.

aulrich
03-21-2013, 09:23 AM
Oh yea winnipeg river system goldeye was fantastic, good fun and good eats, when you were really on them you were done in 20 min. Smoked goldeye, dark rye bread and a good beer yumm. Now the goldeyes we got from the Red river were basically trash and I have a bad feeling that the goldeyes here may be the same from what folks say, But I will catch some for myself and find out, since if you listen to some folks here lake whitefish can be painted with the same brush and we know that it's thier loss.

Fillets just have different losses than smoking them whole. I find that smoking them whole, once the back is not soggy the rib and tails are just about dust and defenetly too salty. And since the fillets tend to split at the lateral line as the fish dries I can pull the thiner pecies out first.

And the final note since it bonless the boys and wife just reach into the bag and eat. And I like that too, the 20 min process of picking a fish apart to eat it has goten old and there is still plenty of inedible meat going into the trash.

MTB_FlyFisher
03-21-2013, 12:36 PM

Comically enough that's the exact reason why I was asking. Grew up in Winnipeg and moved away around grade 5 (which is when I stopped fishing until picking it back up a year or two ago). I seem to recall catching and smoking goldeye and them being quite good, but that was over a couple of decades ago so my memory is likely a bit off. Wasn't sure if it was worth the effort to try with some AB goldeyes.