PDA

View Full Version : the bow river...

bearbait
04-28-2007, 01:03 PM
wife has sugery in calgary on june 22 and im thinking that we will stay the weekend...where would be a couple good spots to fly fish??loking for rainbows and browns..never fished the bow so i dont have a clue...some pointers would be appresiated for sure....or if anyone guides it i would pay for a day trip for sure...or buy the beer at the end of the trip!!
thanks rob

Baitfisher83
04-28-2007, 07:38 PM
depends on which hospital she's at or what part of the city you're willing to travel to, a good spot in the city is just north of carburn park by the driving range, or fish creek park south of that...seen some beauty bows come out of there to flyrodders...

Tree Guy
04-28-2007, 09:59 PM
Bear, that is the funniest personal 'photo' I've ever seen. Go Brian!!

Good luck with the surgery and wish your wife the best but on June 22, the Bow is going to be in full 'run-off' mode. High and murky. Nearly impossible to fly fish. Sorry.

Tree

bearbait
04-29-2007, 12:11 PM
well that sucks....any back waters that stay clear around cow town??

Tree Guy
04-29-2007, 07:17 PM
BB, bring your gear just in case. You never know. We've had tons of rain the last two springs which made things worse. I just remember that my daughter was born June 6 2005 and parts of Calgary around the Elbow were underwater! Last year wasn't as bad.

By June 22, if we haven't gotten the rain, there might be a chance if you get lucky. However, I do know that there is record snowpack in the mountains this year that may cause a prolonged run-off even without the rain.

fishnutz4ever
04-30-2007, 11:27 PM
Hey Bearbait. As long as there is a little visibility you should be in luck. I'd be glad to try and take you out if I can get free. I usually hit the river real late, around sundown, for the nightly caddis hatch that brigs the big browns to the surface to slurp dry flys. As Tree Guy mentioned, the river conditions will dictate the type of fishing but hopefully it will be good enough. I'm no guide but love fly fishing the Bow and usually have good luck. Feel free to PM me as the date gets closer to jog my memory. Best of luck to your wife, talk at you later.

bearbait
05-01-2007, 09:54 AM
ill do that
thanks
rob

Scott N
05-01-2007, 11:45 AM
Streamer fishing can actually be quite good during runoff because the fish concentrate tight to the shore, literally within a few inches or a foot or so.

bearbait
05-01-2007, 12:51 PM
love streamer fishin..
thanks for the tip
rob