PDA

View Full Version : Ice fishing with lights?

Oldaswood
03-18-2013, 09:16 PM
I was talking to a fellow I know that also loves fishing! He told me he used a lure which holds a glow stick. (Tiny little glow stick) And he told me that he got great results with it. I mean a lighted glowing lure on the bottom of the lake pulling up some nice fish.

I wonder? Is this Legal in Alberta? I am to believe not! But that is why I post this question. Thanks in advance for your help!

Dewey Cox
03-18-2013, 09:29 PM
I believe the regs say you can't use a light unless its attached to the lure, or something like that. So my understanding is that it would be legal.

huntsfurfish
03-18-2013, 09:52 PM
yes it would be legal.

waterninja
03-19-2013, 03:05 AM
at first i thought this was a troll but after re-reading the regs (page 19) it appears that your freind is correct. at the same time it sounds like if you have a headlamp, flashlight or any other light in your ice tent or on your boat when it is dark you are breaking the law. very confusing.

Bigdad013
03-19-2013, 05:33 AM
By law you need a watertight flashlight on your boat. Just can't use it for fishing

Geezle
03-19-2013, 08:03 AM
at first i thought this was a troll but after re-reading the regs (page 19) it appears that your freind is correct. at the same time it sounds like if you have a headlamp, flashlight or any other light in your ice tent or on your boat when it is dark you are breaking the law. very confusing.

You'd have to be doing something pretty deliberate before you'd ever get get called on using a light for fishing.

Night fishing for burbs and walleye in the winter with no light in the tent would get pretty interesting pretty fast I'm guessing. Same thing with fishing the river at night...we always have a lantern and headlamps going so we can see and it's perfectly fine :)

I've inquired about this before and as long as your lighting is within reason and you're not intentionally shining it down the hole/in the water you're safe.

EZM
03-19-2013, 09:28 AM
You'd have to be doing something pretty deliberate before you'd ever get get called on using a light for fishing.

Night fishing for burbs and walleye in the winter with no light in the tent would get pretty interesting pretty fast I'm guessing. Same thing with fishing the river at night...we always have a lantern and headlamps going so we can see and it's perfectly fine :)

I've inquired about this before and as long as your lighting is within reason and you're not intentionally shining it down the hole/in the water you're safe.

You are exactly right - had a CO come down at Bassano years ago to check us out. We had lights on the picnic table and not too far from the rods ... no worries .... they can tell if you are intentionally trying to use a light as an attractor versus using a light to see where you are going.

Oldaswood
03-20-2013, 09:04 PM
I was just not too sure! Great! I bought some lures on line and the glow sticks came with them!
I gotta try me now!

billie
03-20-2013, 09:11 PM
Does anyone know why you can use a light "attached" but not otherwise? Doesn't seem to make sense :confused:.