PDA

View Full Version : Navionics/Humminbird Help

Stally77
03-18-2013, 09:16 PM
I have the Navionics Canada maps for my humminbird 598 ci si combo. I was thinking that i would be able to power the unit up, insert the card and see lake data that i wanted. Do i have to be on the lake in order for my finders GPS to display the data or can I view it any time I like? I would like to be able to scope a lake out before i go to it. Any help would be appreciated.

Jamie Black R/T
03-18-2013, 09:23 PM
you can power up the unit and it will lock onto your current location. From there you can zoom in/out and move the curser around to any lake you want to check out.

i usually set a bunch of waypoints while still in the garage the day before a trip. then hit the lake and start checking them off the list one by one. works great!

Stally77
03-18-2013, 10:10 PM
Got it now. Guess ya gotta be smarter than the device lol. Darn electronics. Thx:sign0161:

overparr
03-20-2013, 02:27 PM
Do the Navionics Canada Maps list Cold Lake. Just purchased a hummingbird 798 and was wondering if the purchase is worth it.

huntsfurfish
03-20-2013, 02:28 PM
You can check on the Navionics site and see which lakes are on it.

cube
03-20-2013, 02:44 PM
Do the Navionics Canada Maps list Cold Lake. Just purchased a hummingbird 798 and was wondering if the purchase is worth it.

Cold Lake is on mine.

overparr
03-20-2013, 02:50 PM
Thanks guys appreciate the info:)

Stally77
03-20-2013, 04:30 PM
Yes it is just looked at it last night.

EZM
03-20-2013, 04:34 PM
Keep in mind that the Navionics charts are general contours - not accurate for the purposes of defining drop off with any reasonable accuracy.

It will show you generally how steep the drops are, where there might be structure etc.... and certainly don't go blasting around an unknown lake with hazards trusting the data on the card.

Stally77
03-20-2013, 06:34 PM
That's good advice EZM! I always take my time and do as much research as possible before I head to a new lake. That being said you never know where the hazards are depending on water level changes, always take your time on the water!

edsonfisherman
03-21-2013, 01:56 PM
Keep in mind that the Navionics charts are general contours - not accurate for the purposes of defining drop off with any reasonable accuracy.

It will show you generally how steep the drops are, where there might be structure etc.... and certainly don't go blasting around an unknown lake with hazards trusting the data on the card.

Very good point, I learned that the hardway on Lac St.Anne the one year, hit a rockpile with my prop on the west side.