PDA

View Full Version : 2 piece rod or solid 1 piece?

Whiteysonly
03-19-2013, 08:49 AM
Hey guys so I'm looking for a rod for bottom bouncing for walleye also for jigging I use an ugly stik now I love them, but I was wondering should I stick with my 2 piece or a 7' 1 piece pros and cons. Thanks

HuyFishin
03-19-2013, 09:11 AM
With new rods today its all down to personal preferance (usually)
I prefer 1 piece becouse it seems to have a nicer bend/flex in the rod:sHa_shakeshout: Its super annoying sometimes when i wanna move it around and it scrapes my roof, i cant go fishing in my car and it can only fit in my truck box.

2 piece rods used to fall apart when u cast, but that was with old cheaper rods, shouldnt be like that anymore,:thinking-006:

i decided to purchase the st croix triumph 4 piece travel rod during the fishing show to try out, seems to be quite nice, strong and hard to pull apart so i'm sure casting will be fine with it lol technology these days hahaha

EZM
03-19-2013, 09:20 AM
One piece offer better feel but, obviously, can't be packed around as easily.

You can always wrap a bit of plumbing thread tape around one of the ends you insert if its looser than you would like.

Most of my gear is 2 piece so it stores nicely. One piece rod tips, for that same reason don't last as long as the door, truck box etc find a way of snapping them off.

If you store your one piece exclusively in your boat and keep it there - then that's where it makes sense to me.

huntsfurfish
03-19-2013, 09:42 AM
With new rods today its all down to personal preferance (usually)
I prefer 1 piece becouse it seems to have a nicer bend/flex in the rod:sHa_shakeshout: Its super annoying sometimes when i wanna move it around and it scrapes my roof, i cant go fishing in my car and it can only fit in my truck box.

2 piece rods used to fall apart when u cast, but that was with old cheaper rods, shouldnt be like that anymore,:thinking-006:

i decided to purchase the st croix triumph 4 piece travel rod during the fishing show to try out, seems to be quite nice, strong and hard to pull apart so i'm sure casting will be fine with it lol technology these days hahaha

Agree. Heck, lots of fly fishermen are using 4 piece rods nowadays.
2 piece no problem with feel. My older walleye jigging rods were one piece. No longer necessary. Even my two piece rods get accidently converted to 3 piece still.:)

KN12313
03-19-2013, 10:28 AM
If you are buying a quality rod (north of 150 bucks) you will instantly find a big difference between an one piece and a two piece rod. I have walleye derby fished for a number of years and I have tried several different rod manufacturers, the ones I like the most are the G-Lommis IMX or GXL rods. I have 3 casting rods and 1 spinning rod (IMX) and 2 GLX spinning rods.

For walleye fishing, its all about rod sensitivity, [COLOR="Lime"]One piece:sHa_shakeshout:

Walleyedude
03-19-2013, 10:38 AM
A one piece rod will always offer better sensitivity and a more uniform action. If you can, go one piece.

However, like others have said, two piece rods have come a long way and are much better than they used to be. They've really closed the gap on one piece rods. For many people the small sacrifices in sensitivity and action are well worth it for the added convenience of a two piece.

Buy a quality rod in whichever format works for you and chances are pretty good you'll be happy with it.

waterninja
03-19-2013, 02:55 PM
i prefer using longer rods for fishing and i can't imagine the hassle of storage or transportation if they weren't 2 piece or telescopic. never had a problem of my 2 peice rods coming apart and the difference in sensitivity is not noticed.

dodgeboy1979
03-19-2013, 03:13 PM
i built a one piece rod a few years ago for trolling, ordered the kit from cabelas, i love the feel with the one piece but its akward to store and transport.

wetchimo
03-19-2013, 07:20 PM
i prefer using longer rods for fishing and i can't imagine the hassle of storage or transportation if they weren't 2 piece or telescopic. never had a problem of my 2 peice rods coming apart and the difference in sensitivity is not noticed.

X2

yada
03-19-2013, 10:09 PM
1 pc rods in gerneral perform better than 2pc.

2pc usually doesnt brake as often and easy for transportation.

I think that the 2pc benifits out weigh the 1 pc benifits. I had a 1 pc rod and just taking it around is a pain in the ..... thats why I always use 2 pc now.

Just my 2cents.

Cal
03-20-2013, 09:15 AM
In my experience one piece rods quickly become 2 peice rods. I've thought about getting one and just leaving it in the boat, anything thats going to be hiked with or in and out of vehicals should break down IMO.

Walleyedude
03-20-2013, 11:17 AM
Wow.

Some of you guys must be pretty careless with your stuff or just really accident prone. I've been hauling one piece rods around all my life and I've never broken one during transport.

Either in the boat or in the box/cab of the truck, I've never had a problem packing them in such a way that they're safe and secure, and for the most part, out of the way.

HuyFishin
03-20-2013, 11:40 AM
Wow.

Some of you guys must be pretty careless with your stuff or just really accident prone. I've been hauling one piece rods around all my life and I've never broken one during transport.

Either in the boat or in the box/cab of the truck, I've never had a problem packing them in such a way that they're safe and secure, and for the most part, out of the way.

I broke a rod at lessor slave lake when i was a kid (father was seriously mad at me)

since then i've never broke any of my rods i've got a couple st croix rods and a quantum superlite all one piece 6'9, 6'6 ,5'9 ect.
just gotta be less careless and pay attention to what you're doing and you're fine lol

EZM
03-20-2013, 01:37 PM
Wow.

You are correct in taking precautions - but put a 8ft one piece in the bed of your truck (mine is a 6ft bed) and try packing stuff in there without it being damaged is more trouble than it's worth.

All my one peice stuff stays in the boat.

I had a propane tank in the corner of the bed (which) was bungy corded bounce up and crush one of the eyes on a pretty expensive one piece rod.

I was pretty ****ed about it as I was very careful when laying it in my bed and securing all the stuff around the rods like a clever puzzle.

That was definitely a 1/1000 kind of incident but that was it for packing the one pieces anywhere except in my boat. With a two piece there would have been no puzzles to solve or bungy cord lottery games to play. You will also leave your driveway 15 minutes earlier .....lol.

Both types of rods have thier merits - but choosing what is best for you, like anything in life, depends on your application.

Mutter87
03-20-2013, 01:49 PM
Do they make carrying cases for the longer 1 piece rods? Seems that's all most companies make now adays.