PDA

View Full Version : licenses and regs available now.

Gust
03-19-2013, 10:40 PM
For those who cant wait till april 1st,, new licenses are now available as well as paperback regs to go.

B_Type13X2
03-19-2013, 10:44 PM
I renewed mine today when I was downtown just so I wouldn't forget. They gave me my paper license when I handed them my WIN and they recommended that I keep and sign my paper license. I don't know why I'd have to do this, I mean as soon as I buy my new license after handing them my WIN shouldn't my new license be linked to that?

Gust
03-19-2013, 10:47 PM
I renewed mine today when I was downtown just so I wouldn't forget. They gave me my paper license when I handed them my WIN and they recommended that I keep and sign my paper license. I don't know why I'd have to do this, I mean as soon as I buy my new license after handing them my WIN shouldn't my new license be linked to that?

not valid till signed.

Lefty-Canuck
03-19-2013, 10:48 PM

Your license is not valid until it is signed....otherwise you could hand your license off to a buddy along with your WIN and he could fish under it pretending to be you....your license says something to the effect of "not valid until signed"

The WIN enables you to buy a license but it is not your license.

LC

B_Type13X2
03-19-2013, 11:21 PM
I understand this but that little piece of paper is pretty damn fragile. I have it and its signed, but give it 5 or so months in my wallet and it will be in pretty poor shape. I'm just surprised that your WIN can't house all of your active licenses and be used as such.

And no you can't just lend someone your win and an unsigned license. Your WIN card has your name on it. That person would need a fake ID with their picture and your name on it for that to stand up to any sort of scrutiny, and a decent fake ID costs more then the license does in the first place.

So it again comes down to this, why can't I buy a fishing license every year and have that license linked to my WIN card so when asked to produce it by fish and wildlife, all I'd have to do is hand them my WIN and my government issue photo ID? It just seems incredibly stupid, and defeats the point in having the card in the first place.

huntsfurfish
03-19-2013, 11:28 PM
Buy your licence on line and you can print them off anytime you want or print a few extras to keep in your tackle box, vehicle, boat etc. And if they get a little hard to read just grab a new one.:)

Kim473
03-20-2013, 04:11 AM
Your license is not valid until it is signed....otherwise you could hand your license off to a buddy along with your WIN and he could fish under it pretending to be you....your license says something to the effect of "not valid until signed"

The WIN enables you to buy a license but it is not your license.

LC

A License to buy a License ! Only in Canada. LOL. They will tax anything. Oh sorry, it's not a tax.
Next thing it will be, License to buy bait. Then, License to buy a License to buy bait. I wonder if if the Alberta gov. will give me a bonus for thinking of this for them. NOT !

Winch101
03-20-2013, 07:02 AM
No licence for seniors I see.....:sHa_shakeshout:

Rightfully so.....

Lefty-Canuck
03-20-2013, 07:59 AM
I understand this but that little piece of paper is pretty damn fragile. I have it and its signed, but give it 5 or so months in my wallet and it will be in pretty poor shape. I'm just surprised that your WIN can't house all of your active licenses and be used as such.

And no you can't just lend someone your win and an unsigned license. Your WIN card has your name on it. That person would need a fake ID with their picture and your name on it for that to stand up to any sort of scrutiny, and a decent fake ID costs more then the license does in the first place.

So it again comes down to this, why can't I buy a fishing license every year and have that license linked to my WIN card so when asked to produce it by fish and wildlife, all I'd have to do is hand them my WIN and my government issue photo ID? It just seems incredibly stupid, and defeats the point in having the card in the first place.

That's why you buy your license online and that way you can print out as many copies as you wish and it has been this way forever....and likely will continue.

In BC the licenses are all paper....in Saskatchewan the same thing....the officers would need to be issued card readers for their boats and such to read your WIN card....so you think that sort of infrastructure is going to be handed out to our officers?

LC

JReed
03-20-2013, 08:45 AM
F&W should make it that if they stop a guy they can just scan the WIN card and identify if you have a fishing license or not. That way you don't have to carry around an unreadable fishing license or print it off online a bunch of times. But that would make too much sense I guess :thinking-006:

Geezle
03-20-2013, 09:06 AM
F&W should make it that if they stop a guy they can just scan the WIN card and identify if you have a fishing license or not. That way you don't have to carry around an unreadable fishing license or print it off online a bunch of times. But that would make too much sense I guess :thinking-006:

Like Lefty just said...where's the money for this idea going to come from? F&W is already in a hurting financial spot and can hardly afford the meager enforcement that they currently have in place...

Hunter Trav
03-20-2013, 09:17 AM
Get a little card holder like the ones you get for insurance to put your license in. Less likely to get messed up. Put it in your tackle box so you always have it with you when your fishing...

Geezle
03-20-2013, 09:21 AM
Get a little card holder like the ones you get for insurance to put your license in. Less likely to get messed up. Put it in your tackle box so you always have it with you when your fishing...

X2 I know TFH always gives you one of those with your license :)

huntsfurfish
03-20-2013, 09:48 AM
Its easier and cheaper for you to carry a piece of paper than for enforcement to carry a reader around the lake/river.:snapoutofit:
:)

huntsfurfish
03-20-2013, 09:51 AM
No licence for seniors I see.....:sHa_shakeshout:

Rightfully so.....

This year:mad3::)

cube
03-20-2013, 10:01 AM

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT WAS SUPOSSED TO HAVE HAPPENED. The WIN card was supposed to track all your fishing and hunting licences so you would only have to carry the WIN with you, at least that is what we were told at that time. We were also told it would be a once in a life time fee when it first started but that also did not seem to last.

The rumor at the time was that this was brought in by a minister who’s friend owned or had interest in the company. Though I do not know this for a fact.

As far as I can see the WIN system is pretty much useless in that it is basically a licence so you can by a licence for which you still need separate additional I D. (e.g. my fishing licence is tagged to my Drivers Licence) Just adds extra cost and accomplishes nothing except turning people off from purchasing a licence.

JReed
03-20-2013, 10:03 AM
Like Lefty just said...where's the money for this idea going to come from? F&W is already in a hurting financial spot and can hardly afford the meager enforcement that they currently have in place...

You're absolutely right about the financial aspect of it! Don't need anymore irresponsible spending by the government

overparr
03-20-2013, 10:05 AM

Would the licence still be valid if it was laminated

fish gunner
03-20-2013, 10:05 AM

Yep got my boating licence and win card in a little zip lock wallet. The issue I have is remembering it in my fly vest if I'm not fly fishing.:)

MoFugger21
03-20-2013, 10:18 AM

At the top of my licence from 2012/13 it reads "DO NOT LAMINATE"

cube
03-20-2013, 10:21 AM

Given that you can print them off your self, from an online purchase, on to just about anything you want I would think laminated would be fine. They only have non laminated laws where the paper and printing type are part of the security I belive.

BigPikeHunter
03-20-2013, 11:13 AM
Yep got my boating licence and win card in a little zip lock wallet. The issue I have is remembering it in my fly vest if I'm not fly fishing.:)

FYI if you laminate the copy you get in the store, it is on heat activated paper... it all turns black...lol DO NOT LAMINATE!!! personal experience...lol

Bulldogs
03-20-2013, 11:15 AM
Ok new to Alberta from BC but resident now. How do I get a fishing license.

BigPikeHunter
03-20-2013, 11:32 AM

Go to a Canadian Tire or any place that sells licenses. You will have to purchase a WIN Card(Wildlife Identification Number), which is good for 5 years and then you can purchase a fishing license for the 2013 year at the same time/place. You can also do this all online as well if you prefer.

Lornce
03-20-2013, 11:38 AM
I carry my license and win card in a small zip lock bag. Keeps it dry and safe

cube
03-20-2013, 01:23 PM

cube
03-20-2013, 01:27 PM

overparr
03-20-2013, 01:57 PM
FYI if you laminate the copy you get in the store, it is on heat activated paper... it all turns black...lol DO NOT LAMINATE!!! personal experience...lol
Would that apply to Saskatchewan Licences as well.Last time I purchased an Alberta licence was 10yrs ago.

fishdude17
03-20-2013, 04:53 PM
THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT WAS SUPOSSED TO HAVE HAPPENED. The WIN card was supposed to track all your fishing and hunting licences so you would only have to carry the WIN with you, at least that is what we were told at that time. We were also told it would be a once in a life time fee when it first started but that also did not seem to last.

The rumor at the time was that this was brought in by a minister who’s friend owned or had interest in the company. Though I do not know this for a fact.

As far as I can see the WIN system is pretty much useless in that it is basically a licence so you can by a licence for which you still need separate additional I D. (e.g. my fishing licence is tagged to my Drivers Licence) Just adds extra cost and accomplishes nothing except turning people off from purchasing a licence.

Your WIN card costs you $1.60 per year. If that's going to turn people off of buying fishing and hunting licenses, they need to have their heads examined. :snapoutofit:

B_Type13X2
03-20-2013, 07:05 PM
That's why you buy your license online and that way you can print out as many copies as you wish and it has been this way forever....and likely will continue.

In BC the licenses are all paper....in Saskatchewan the same thing....the officers would need to be issued card readers for their boats and such to read your WIN card....so you think that sort of infrastructure is going to be handed out to our officers?

LC

and why not? They are essentially police officers for wild life, why not give them the ability to just scan / read a WIN card. It'll be somewhat expensive upfront but it is a worthwhile investment in infrastructure.

Bigdad013
03-20-2013, 07:35 PM
and why not? They are essentially police officers for wild life, why not give them the ability to just scan / read a WIN card. It'll be somewhat expensive upfront but it is a worthwhile investment in infrastructure.

I think a problem with scanning is you would have to have cell coverage for one thing.

Hunter Trav
03-20-2013, 07:37 PM
So what happens when they check a guy in the middle of butt-**** no where, and the thing won't read your card, or can't pick up a signal??? Does that mean your guilty because you can't produce your license? Is the officer just to assume you have one and let you go on your way. If you can't keep a paper copy of your license on you without messing it up, maybe you shouldn't be out there in the outdoors, might be a bit beyond your capabilities. Spend the money where its needed, to hire more guys to be out in the field...

fishdude17
03-20-2013, 07:40 PM
So what happens when they check a guy in the middle of butt-****** no where, and the thing won't read your card, or can't pick up a signal??? Does that mean your guilty because you can't produce your license? Is the officer just to assume you have one and let you go on your way. If you can't keep a paper copy of your license on you without messing it up, maybe you shouldn't be out there in the outdoors, might be a bit beyond your capabilities. Spend the money where its needed, to hire more guys to be out in the field...

X2

Blastoff
03-20-2013, 08:19 PM

BC guys have to take a drug test :snapoutofit:

wetchimo
03-20-2013, 08:39 PM
BC guys have to take a drug test :snapoutofit:

If that where the case nobody from bc would be allowed to fish:sHa_shakeshout:

huntsfurfish
03-20-2013, 09:45 PM
So what happens when they check a guy in the middle of butt-**** no where, and the thing won't read your card, or can't pick up a signal??? Does that mean your guilty because you can't produce your license? Is the officer just to assume you have one and let you go on your way. If you can't keep a paper copy of your license on you without messing it up, maybe you shouldn't be out there in the outdoors, might be a bit beyond your capabilities. Spend the money where its needed, to hire more guys to be out in the field...

lol:)

But I have to agree:)

Ques
03-20-2013, 11:58 PM
You get a PDF of your licence when purchased online. I keep a viewable PDF copy in my iphone. There are apps that give you the ability to put digital signatures on PDF files. You can also download hunting and fishing regs in PDF for quick access in the field.

B_Type13X2
03-21-2013, 12:57 AM

Wow.... just wow... the amount of asshattery in one post... Ever put a business card in your wallet and had it sit there for a few months, go to produce it to give a friend the information off it for when they are getting similar work done and discovered that somehow in the blackhole that is your wallet it has gotten beaten up pretty badly and is now barely legible? No never happened to you? Well clearly you never leave your house because that happens to literally every damn person I know of.

And the problems you list are so damn easy, ever bought something with a credit card and they didn't have immediate access to a signal for whatever reason? If only in situations like that they had some sort of technology available to take an imprint of your card. Holy crap I could make a fortune off of inventing that technology, oh wait it already exists and was in use for decades in rural area's before cellphone coverage became rampant.

I swear some peoples children, so quick to flame and yet so utterly stupid.

Bigdad013
03-21-2013, 04:59 AM
Taking an inprint of your card will not show you have have a license. Now they could go to satelite scanners, but the costs would be astronomical

As for Ques post, not sure in Alberta, but in BC, having a license on your phone is no good. Was at a derby in the fall and a guy was charged for not having a license when he produced his phone with his license on it. Another problem with the phone idea, what if your phone loses power?

Geezle
03-21-2013, 08:28 AM
Wow.... just wow... the amount of asshattery in one post...

There...I think that about sums it up...pot...kettle etc...

What does an old credit card imprint machine have to do with scanning a modern card to see if the cardholder is in posession of their license or not? Nevermind the fact that WIN cards don't have raised numbers.

I keep my license in the little plastic card holder that they give me when I get it, and that gets kept in a pocket in my tackle bag...and despite your wallet eating business cards it is in fact possible to keep your license intact for an entire season with minimal effort...If you're having a tough time maybe try something else...or get it online and print off some extra copies.

Yes Trav was a little sarcastic, but I can see where he was doing it to try to make a point...at least he didn't have to resort to childish name calling.

MoFugger21
03-21-2013, 08:42 AM
Wow.... just wow... the amount of asshattery in one post... Ever put a business card in your wallet and had it sit there for a few months, go to produce it to give a friend the information off it for when they are getting similar work done and discovered that somehow in the blackhole that is your wallet it has gotten beaten up pretty badly and is now barely legible? No never happened to you? Well clearly you never leave your house because that happens to literally every damn person I know of.

And the problems you list are so damn easy, ever bought something with a credit card and they didn't have immediate access to a signal for whatever reason? If only in situations like that they had some sort of technology available to take an imprint of your card. Holy crap I could make a fortune off of inventing that technology, oh wait it already exists and was in use for decades in rural area's before cellphone coverage became rampant.

My licence (printed off from whatever sporting goods store I bought it from) doesn't leave my wallet unless I'm asked to produce it. It's been in there since last April- folded in half twice and still in perfect condition. I'd venture a guess that I could keep in there for another 2 years and it would still be usable. I don't understand what is so hard about keeping an intact licence in your wallet, tackle box, etc...... I've never had problems with it falling apart. Are you taking it out and "playing" with it everyday? Using it to blow your nose? What? I don't get it....

Why spend millions upon millions of dollars on WIN card "scanners" when it costs nothing for you to just take care of your licence.....Seems like a complete waste of money. That money would be better off spent on more enforcement and not useless "scanners" just so you don't have to take care of your licence....

....yet so utterly stupid.

Indeed....... :rolleye2:

Lefty-Canuck
03-21-2013, 08:45 AM
Amazing how the smallest conversation can get what I assume are grown men all fired up!

LC :)

Geezle
03-21-2013, 08:52 AM
Amazing how the smallest conversation can get what I assume are grown men all fired up!

LC :)

That's a pretty big assumption methinks :lol:

Lefty-Canuck
03-21-2013, 08:52 AM
A License to buy a License ! Only in Canada. LOL. They will tax anything. Oh sorry, it's not a tax.
Next thing it will be, License to buy bait. Then, License to buy a License to buy bait. I wonder if if the Alberta gov. will give me a bonus for thinking of this for them. NOT !

The WIN is your individual access to a system...it tracks what you are entitled to purchase and what you have purchased. Think of it like a user name and password.

Of course there is a small nominal fee to administer this process....:)

LC

Hunter Trav
03-21-2013, 09:11 AM

Yes actually I have, thats why I don't keep thing like that in my wallet, and thats why someone came up with the idea of "cardholders". Clearly you never leave the house cause you have not moved passed the stage of figuring out why things keep getting messed up in your wallet, and what steps you could take to prevent that...:rolleye2:

tight line
03-21-2013, 11:20 AM
I managed to keep paper copies of 4 provincial and a national park lic in my wallet without wrecking them, and my wallet is kinda scary inside. Id rather have a paper win card myself, takes up less room in the wallet... Lol

huntsfurfish
03-21-2013, 11:30 AM
My licence (printed off from whatever sporting goods store I bought it from) doesn't leave my wallet unless I'm asked to produce it. It's been in there since last April- folded in half twice and still in perfect condition. I'd venture a guess that I could keep in there for another 2 years and it would still be usable. I don't understand what is so hard about keeping an intact licence in your wallet, tackle box, etc...... I've never had problems with it falling apart. Are you taking it out and "playing" with it everyday? Using it to blow your nose? What? I don't get it....

Why spend millions upon millions of dollars on WIN card "scanners" when it costs nothing for you to just take care of your licence.....Seems like a complete waste of money. That money would be better off spent on more enforcement and not useless "scanners" just so you don't have to take care of your licence....

:

Exactly!

Gust
03-21-2013, 12:36 PM
Uhm!

Licenses are available now as are the paperback regulations.

Geezle
03-21-2013, 01:33 PM
Uhm!

Thanks Gust :)

BigPikeHunter
03-21-2013, 02:30 PM
Uhm!

Gust makes a great point...lol Regs are available now and page 92 is sweet!!

Gust
03-21-2013, 02:41 PM
Gust makes a great point...lol Regs are available now and page 92 is sweet!!

Yes your picture is nice but that Rainbow trout is a pig eh?

Congrats.

Not putting down your fish, but, that pike is the longest skinniest one I've seen in awhile. If it were any longer I would have mistook it for a hockey stick.

BigPikeHunter
03-21-2013, 03:19 PM
Yes your picture is nice but that Rainbow trout is a pig eh?

Congrats.

Not putting down your fish, but, that pike is the longest skinniest one I've seen in awhile. If it were any longer I would have mistook it for a hockey stick.

Agreed, that trout is a hog....
Just glad they award the prize based on length...lol
If I would have caught that pike in the winter, boy would that have been a fish to bring up through a hole in the ice...