PDA

View Full Version : Road/ice condition to Spray Lake.

Jun
03-22-2013, 08:46 AM
Hello there, is anybody know the road condition from Canmore to Spray lake? It is still snow/ice covered? How about the ice conditions on the lake?
Thanks!

iliketrout
03-22-2013, 10:06 AM
Last week the road was fine, no snow on the road, it was starting to get rutted in a few places. Ice had a bit of flood water on it by shore but was still around 2 feet thick. Easy walking on the lake, just enough snow cover to get traction. Fishing was a lot slower than usual, and of all the times I went this year, last week there was the least amount of other fishermen out.

Been hearing Spray was fishing slower than usual for the past ~3 weeks or so.

Jun
03-22-2013, 04:14 PM
thanks a lot!

Last week the road was fine, no snow on the road, it was starting to get rutted in a few places. Ice had a bit of flood water on it by shore but was still around 2 feet thick. Easy walking on the lake, just enough snow cover to get traction. Fishing was a lot slower than usual, and of all the times I went this year, last week there was the least amount of other fishermen out.

Been hearing Spray was fishing slower than usual for the past ~3 weeks or so.

ak-71
03-25-2013, 08:55 PM
Ice feels safe, didn't measure (2.5-3ft), no flood water in Sunday, easy walking.
Water is really low(!). Lakers - slow(need another spot for low water), but OK-ish in 40-60FOW, RMWF - good in ~2(!) FOW (could be better a bit deeper from what I saw on the camera.
Wish I had a good depth map (not the one from the Atlas)

iliketrout
03-26-2013, 07:44 AM

I even contacted Transalta with no luck. Going to have to spend a few days out there on a boat to map out some spots.

aulrich
03-26-2013, 07:38 PM
I was out today, I have a theory on why it's slow, the fish are everywhere, we caught them at 56 feet and had hits at 6 feet , bigger fish too.

Jun
03-26-2013, 07:47 PM
Cool, which part of lake you fishing? I want to go this Friday or Saturday. Any good spots for mountain white? Thanks!

I was out today, I have a theory on why it's slow, the fish are everywhere, we caught them at 56 feet and had hits at 6 feet , bigger fish too.

Jun
03-26-2013, 07:50 PM
Thanks, I want to find mountain whites? Any suggestilons?

Ice feels safe, didn't measure (2.5-3ft), no flood water in Sunday, easy walking.
Water is really low(!). Lakers - slow(need another spot for low water), but OK-ish in 40-60FOW, RMWF - good in ~2(!) FOW (could be better a bit deeper from what I saw on the camera.

MtnGiant
03-26-2013, 08:06 PM
Cool, which part of lake you fishing? I want to go this Friday or Saturday. Any good spots for mountain white? Thanks!

The whites are close to shore....

jacenbeers
03-26-2013, 09:33 PM
I am going to head out on Friday for the day to hammer some whites. If I am there early enough I might try for a few lakers but I have heard from lots of people that it is pretty slow so whities it is. Last year this time of season was prime time for hitting lots of whitefish.

aulrich
03-27-2013, 08:49 AM
The campground after the boat launch (Sparrow Hawk?), some movie crew had the boat launch area packed.

It seemed that the rockies were liking the finer sand bottoms, and the ones we saw were very aggressive. We had bits of shrimp on for bait.

Jun
03-28-2013, 08:07 AM
Was there yesterday, fishing during the day was really slow. In the later afternoon caught three good size lake trout.
The ice is about thirty inch, and snow still covered the lake, the depth works for me is about 60 feet and smelts works.