PDA

View Full Version : Do you read the reg's?

BeeGuy
03-23-2013, 10:29 AM
Well?????

Do ya????

EZM
03-23-2013, 10:37 AM
Absolutely - I think it's our responsibility to do so.

I keep a copy in the boat, in the truck and anywhere else I may not have internet.

I have been asked so many times by guys on a lake "do you know what the limit is on ....xx???" .... seems to annoy me just a little.

huntsfurfish
03-23-2013, 10:40 AM
Yup, I do, always read the changes for the year first. Then skim over the rest for a refresher. Also, keep copies boat, truck, tackle box and a few other places I have not found.:)

cranky
03-23-2013, 10:59 AM
Absolutely!
Ignorance is no excuse when caught by F&W imo.

Kevwood
03-23-2013, 11:11 AM
I read the important changes, lakes I will be fishing and keep handy for a reference if needed...

HunterDave
03-23-2013, 11:15 AM
Got ifish Alberta in my iphone and I read what's important to know about the waters that I fish as required.

sparky660
03-23-2013, 11:17 AM
I do as it serves two purposes. Reading material for around the campfire and fire starter when I'm done brushing up on the regs.

KayakCurtis
03-23-2013, 11:46 AM
Ifish isn't official and i have found several limit mistakes as well as mistakes on when bodies of water are open.
"Well ifish said "wont cut it with fish& game.
Be responsible like the rest of us & read the regs. Unbelievable that anybody is actually fishing without reading laws regarding our lakes. Pack up your rod and stay home. This infuriates me. Regs change yearly not much different than poaching.

HunterDave
03-23-2013, 11:52 AM
Ifish isn't official and i have found several limit mistakes as well as mistakes on when bodies of water are open.

Yeah, like what? I haven't found any mistakes for the waters that ifish. :)

MtnGiant
03-23-2013, 11:59 AM
Well?????

Do ya????

NO!!!!!!

I wait for you to tell me what's right or wrong!!!!! hahahahahaha:)

It'a a joke.....dont let ur blood pressure meter get high :)

RavYak
03-23-2013, 12:24 PM
I take notice of important changes and then just look up the regulations for where I am fishing if I don't already know. I don't take the time to read through all the little rules etc as I already know most of them that apply to me.

All that said I used to pay much closer attention to the regulations and reading them etc when I lived in Saskatchewan. The big reason I don't do it here is because reading the regs ****es me off with all their freaking ads. Sask regulation booklet: 52 pages. Alberta booklet: 112 pages... Imo stuff like laws and regulations should not be thrown into an ad/coupon book... I have missed little things before because of this(I didn't realize that unlike Sask that Alberta has both an overall catch limit as well as individual area catch limits as well as the individual lake limits. They should be presented so that they are easy to read and imo the Alberta booklet is not.

Elkhunt
03-23-2013, 12:43 PM
Absolutely. This is part of being a responsible hunter. Copies are kept in camp, my truck & bookmarked on the computer.

MtnGiant
03-23-2013, 12:47 PM
OH!!!!

BTW....

I forgot to ask what reg's are you refering to Mr Bee?????

You didnt quite make it clear....and I'd hate to assume!!!!

Pincherguy
03-23-2013, 12:51 PM
OH!!!!

BTW....

I forgot to ask what reg's are you refering to Mr Bee?????

You didnt quite make it clear....and I'd hate to assume!!!!

I guess it don't really matter does it? Regs are regs wether your hunting or fishing of posting on the forum.

CNP
03-23-2013, 01:17 PM
I just figured out what GFYBG stands for ..... (Go f___ yourself Bee Guy) !!!......... lol.

Can I change my vote from YES to GFYBG?????........ is it too late ....lol

Just teasing .......:)

Knowing the code.............I vote for GFYBG:)

MtnGiant
03-23-2013, 01:26 PM
I guess it don't really matter does it? Regs are regs wether your hunting or fishing of posting on the forum.

You took my response a lil too seriously :)
No worries

Lornce
03-23-2013, 01:45 PM
I read em cover to cover several times, One in the boat and one in the fishing bag.

BeeGuy
03-23-2013, 02:00 PM
Go Fishing Young Sexy Bee Guy.

I took that advice and met JBeers at south land.

Gross.

Discoloured. Didymo infested. Animal polluted. garbage coated.

There's some nice runs and holes there but I won't be back.

Another week in the NW left. No garbage. No didymo. Crystal clear waters.

MtnGiant
03-23-2013, 02:07 PM

Gross.

Southlands is gross
Constantly cleaning line and hook from toilet paper
YUCKY!!!!!!
I dont go there anymore either
Do you feel better now that you got some fresh air.
I didnt go to fish crk.....took ur advice....too cold

HunterDave
03-23-2013, 02:08 PM
Not banned AO member. Douchebag
Calling lake being closed march 1 example off top of my head

Ummmm.........yeah, banned. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

cranky
03-23-2013, 02:12 PM

Gross.

Ammo for when us Edmonton folk get picked on for our dirty river. You got some too.:)

BeeGuy
03-23-2013, 02:33 PM
Ammo for when us Edmonton folk get picked on for our dirty river. You got some too.:)

Seriously, didymo is the worst.

The main reason I rarely fish the river.

I can't see how a didymo infested slough can be considered blue ribbon.

It's great that there are lots of 20"+ trout in there, but ugh.

MtnGiant
03-23-2013, 02:38 PM
Seriously, didymo is the worst.

The main reason I rarely fish the river.

I can't see how a didymo infested slough can be considered blue ribbon.

It's great that there are lots of 20"+ trout in there, but ugh.

For me...IMO
A true blue ribbon water system would be clean enough to be able to eat the fish.
Im guessing the Bow became blue ribbon quality because no one in their right mind would eat a fish from there.....ergo....more breeding power = more fishy's.
The Bow has ruined my fly line (severely cracked)
I was told to clean my line after a few uses on the Bow.
High saline content was the reason for cleaning.
At Southlands....my waders got disgustingly smelly after a day of fishing there

35 whelen
03-23-2013, 02:43 PM
YES ,always keep at least 3 copies ,house ,cabin ,truck ,one in ****ter:)

dodger
03-23-2013, 04:20 PM
Yep, I read it from cover to the last page every year. I find it relaxing to see what changes there are and relieved at what has not been changed. I keep a copy in the truck, in the boat, and one by the porcelain library.

Dodger.

nb180
03-23-2013, 06:52 PM
i have three and about ten replacement copies for the ones my wife throws out and my daughter cut's up but the art is great lol

JohninAB
03-24-2013, 11:13 AM
Yes. Keeps me in the know so to speak.

fish gunner
03-24-2013, 11:26 AM
Read the up dates , es2 pp 1-2 keep a copy in the truck and one in the house .

EZM
03-24-2013, 12:08 PM
No matter how much we complain about the NSR and Bow in terms of water quality ......

I am reminded of the time I spent living and going to school in the US.

Indiana, Ohio, New Jersey and Pennsylvania .......... try finding any life in some of those disgusting rivers .....

I'd gargle the affluent downstream of the treatment plant on the bow river before even wading into some of the rivers I've seen ......

It's such a shame what we still do to our rivers ....

SCHOOCH
03-24-2013, 12:25 PM
Always Always read the regs especially when my wife is asking me to vacuum or something like that!!!!!! I agree that the bow is quite nasty from time to time when im bouncing a nymph thats why i live for tossing dry flies especially on there.

philintheblank
03-24-2013, 12:39 PM
I only fish a few lakes, so I read the info for the area I fish, couldn't really be bothered about the rest of the lakes I will never visit. I do keep a copy of the regs in the tackle box if I go camping away from home though.

alacringa
03-24-2013, 12:40 PM
I'm anal retentive about the regs. A number of years ago, now, I didn't pay enough attention to how them. I made a mistake, based on my location; and got nailed for it. It was a valuable lesson -- probably worth more than the fine that I paid. Now, I at least triple-check, for anywhere I go.

Eddy62
03-24-2013, 03:19 PM
My regs are my fishing bible... want a good suggestion to stop complaining about fishing the bow..... don't fish it

MtnGiant
03-24-2013, 03:28 PM
Always Always read the regs especially when my wife is asking me to vacuum or something like that!!!!!! I agree that the bow is quite nasty from time to time when im bouncing a nymph thats why i live for tossing dry flies especially on there.

There are clean areas below Southlands....so its not too bad.

Does anyone know why the river cleans up from Southlands to Fish crk area....I've asked a few peeps but no one knows. I even asked F&W.

I'll lay odds that Mr Bee knows???? hehehe smirk

BeeGuy
03-24-2013, 04:04 PM
no idea

MtnGiant
03-24-2013, 04:09 PM
no idea

DARNIT!!!!!!

My guess is that with all the bends it just gets washed out on the banks???

BobLoblaw
03-24-2013, 04:16 PM
For me...IMO
A true blue ribbon water system would be clean enough to be able to eat the fish.
Im guessing the Bow became blue ribbon quality because no one in their right mind would eat a fish from there.....ergo....more breeding power = more fishy's.
The Bow has ruined my fly line (severely cracked)
I was told to clean my line after a few uses on the Bow.
High saline content was the reason for cleaning.
At Southlands....my waders got disgustingly smelly after a day of fishing there

So, you fish???
I had no idea. You've started 90 threads in the 3 months since you joined the forum covering every topic from arseholes to appetites, yet not one fishing report, IIRC. Of course, with 944 posts(maybe a couple more since I started typing this) in those 3 months, I'm not sure you leave the keyboard long enough to wet a line...:)

Edit- just checked, you only had 1 more post while I typed this out...

MtnGiant
03-24-2013, 04:24 PM
So, you fish???
I had no idea. You've started 90 threads in the 3 months since you joined the forum covering every topic from arseholes to appetites, yet not one fishing report, IIRC. Of course, with 944 posts(maybe a couple more since I started typing this) in those 3 months, I'm not sure you leave the keyboard long enough to wet a line...:)

Edit- just checked, you only had 1 more post while I typed this out...

Thanks for the fan mail lil dipper....
Are you the President of the MtnGiant fan club?
You know so little if you are....maybe a lower ranking position is available for you?
Follow me a little closer and it'll answer your questions to post in the nxt newsletter hahahahahahahahahaha

alacringa
03-24-2013, 04:28 PM
Play nice, boys.

MtnGiant
03-24-2013, 04:30 PM
Play nice, boys.

You shoulda read my first draft hahahahahaha

But you are right

BobLoblaw
03-24-2013, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the fan mail lil dipper....
Are you the President of the MtnGiant fan club?
You know so little if you are....maybe a lower ranking position is available for you?
Follow me a little closer and it'll answer your questions to post in the nxt newsletter hahahahahahahahahaha

"lil dipper"???
Jaysus, now I'm thinking you may be one of my ex-girlfriends!:sign0161:

Sorry if you read a little more into my previous post than I actually meant by it.
I was just curious about what kinda fishing you do & if we could actually expect some fishing reports/pics from you sometime?

Sorry for the derail, Beeguy.
(Not really...:))

BeeGuy
03-24-2013, 04:40 PM
hahaha

MtnGiant
03-24-2013, 05:24 PM
"lil dipper"???
Jaysus, now I'm thinking you may be one of my ex-girlfriends!:sign0161:

Sorry if you read a little more into my previous post than I actually meant by it.
I was just curious about what kinda fishing you do & if we could actually expect some fishing reports/pics from you sometime?

Sorry for the derail, Beeguy.
(Not really...:))

I have posted a pic of ice fishin a few mnths ago w/ Wayne Christie.
Most ice fishn this yr was at Spray.
Other than that....I spend most of my time on the Bow and the Livingstone River on wknds when open.
I ice fish, fly fish, river drift fish, lake fish.
Mostly fly fishing since moving here but a little spin casting.
I mostly dont post pics cause its a bit of a pain.
But I see you've mastered the pic dept.
I'll post more with more practice on the laptop.
Is this enough for ya for now?
Oh ya.....you forgot to ask what my last handle was on here hahahaha:)

And for hunting or firearms side....
I have handguns (revolvers and semi auto)
rifles, shotguns and an assault style semi auto for kicks.

And my fave of all....a Hoyt compound w/ Gold Tip arrows ONLY

pikergolf
03-24-2013, 05:43 PM
I just watch the board, if there are any changes I should know about, somebody will be bitching about it. :scared0018:

HunterDave
03-24-2013, 05:52 PM
It's probably better that I don't read the regs. Another lake lost to the fish huggers for the sake of making it easier for them to catch big fish. Beaver Lake went from a 2 fish retention to a C&R lake. I don't fish it thank God but this trend really has me concerned. Dolberg Lake, one that I do fish and already contains "quality" fish, is currently on the list to be turned into a "Quality" fishery. So there you go, turn a lake into a "Quality" fishery, complain that the fish aren't growing big enough, and then turn it into a C&R fishery.:angry3:

"The harvest of Rainbow Trout from Beaver Lake (ES2), designated as a quality Stocked Fishery (QSF), was too high under the previous 2 fish bag limit and the QSF goal to achieve at least 10% of fish being larger than 50 cm was not being met. Following public consultation, a zero limit is being implemented to meet the goal."

Yeah, right. :cool:

honda450
03-24-2013, 06:07 PM
It's probably better that I don't read the regs. Another lake lost to the fish huggers for the sake of making it easier for them to catch big fish. Beaver Lake went from a 2 fish retention to a C&R lake. I don't fish it thank God but this trend really has me concerned. Dolberg Lake, one that I do fish and already contains "quality" fish, is currently on the list to be turned into a "Quality" fishery. So there you go, turn a lake into a "Quality" fishery, complain that the fish aren't growing big enough, and then turn it into a C&R fishery.:angry3:

"The harvest of Rainbow Trout from Beaver Lake (ES2), designated as a quality Stocked Fishery (QSF), was too high under the previous 2 fish bag limit and the QSF goal to achieve at least 10% of fish being larger than 50 cm was not being met. Following public consultation, a zero limit is being implemented to meet the goal."

Do ya really gotta keep em Dave? Are ya that hungry.

Fishing in Alberta ain't Ontario. It ain't fish huggers its a fragile fishery in Alberta. Go back to Ontario.

schmedlap
03-24-2013, 07:30 PM

None of us "need" those fish as food, in the sustenance sense, and they really aren't that good in taste terms anyway. If one is a food fisherman, one is in the wrong place (?).
How does the thread about observance (or not) of the regulations turn into one about whether or not to eat your catch, anyway?
When I moved to Alberta, from Nova Scotia, I was not used to a "large" reg booklet, and, in 1982, when I purchased my first Alberta license and headed out to the foothills, by myself, to pursue some trout fishing, the person who sold me the license neglected to thrust a copy of the regs at me. So, when I was back at my (very minimal, I couldn't afford much "gear" in those days) campsite frying up a couple of those trout in the evening, I got talking to one of the other campers, who pointed out, very politely, that they had been caught in streams that were closed at present, and were otherwise "illegal". Didn't make them taste any better or worse - they were no NS brookie quality in those terms. Guess I was lucky I didn't "get caught"(?). Guess that's why, to my immense surprise, there was no one else out fishing those streams at the time (?). I just assumed that I could go catch trout, and eat them, in the "wilderness" as such.
Since then I have always made a point of getting the regs and observing them very strictly, not to mention insisting that my fishing companions do so, and occasionally pointing them out to others in the vicinity who appear to be completely ignorant of them. Much less excuse for not doing so now, as they are available both printed and web. And, if I don't always think they are "rational", then I have the option to easily contact the regulators and make my point, which I do on occasion. I suspect that has more potential impact than whining about it here (?).

HunterDave
03-24-2013, 07:44 PM
Do ya really gotta keep em Dave? Are ya that hungry.

Fishing in Alberta ain't Ontario. It ain't fish huggers its a fragile fishery in Alberta. Go back to Ontario.

THAT sounds funny coming from someone who'll ........ Who are you trying to kid? :rolleye2:

Any fish or game that I catch or shoot to eat is done legally and I only take what I'm going to eat, not kill as much as I can so it can freezer burn in my freezer. Maybe you could use a little of that ethic from someone from Ontario.

Maybe you shouldn't throw stones if you live in a glass house eh Wayne? :sad0020:

BeeGuy
03-24-2013, 08:01 PM
:scared0018:

MtnGiant
03-24-2013, 08:27 PM
I proudly wave the "Catch and Eat" (C&E) FLAG!!!!!!!!!!

Whether it be fishing or hunting....

catchandeat
03-24-2013, 08:33 PM
I'm getting hungry now!:tongue0017:

MtnGiant
03-24-2013, 08:38 PM
I'm getting hungry now!:tongue0017:

mmmmmmeeeeee tooooooo.
just had bbq chkn for dinna and Spray lake trout for lunch today.......sooooo goooooood.
And I'll be back at Spray nxt wknd for another meal.
It's alot more expensive to C&E.....but sooo worth it!!!!!!!

Oooops.....this should go in the whats for dinner thread hahahahahaha:)

BTW....Luv your handle :sHa_shakeshout:

MtnGiant
03-24-2013, 08:49 PM
Derail just so ya know....

If people think that AB fisheries is so delicate.....then why do they keep fishing?????

If they think "catch n release" doesnt harm or kill fish......then reality is a fictional concept to them.

Have you seen the C&R areas fish quality?
And I mean the missing parts and scars on them.
Do you think its cool to keep catching the same fish?

Ya its fun but what about what is actually happening to the fish??????

rant rant rant....I could keep going if you like? :)

jacenbeers
03-24-2013, 09:14 PM
I just read the regulations for the first time today and just realized you can't keep sturgeon and bull trout.

BeeGuy
03-24-2013, 09:20 PM
I just read the regulations for the first time today and just realized you can't keep sturgeon and bull trout.

Guess I won't be coming to your next bbq.

RIP the good ol'days

pikergolf
03-24-2013, 09:22 PM

I wish we could get a couple more down here in the south.

pickrel pat
03-24-2013, 09:24 PM
Derail just so ya know....

If people think that AB fisheries is so delicate.....then why do they keep fishing?????

If they think "catch n release" doesnt harm or kill fish......then reality is a fictional concept to them.

Have you seen the C&R areas fish quality?
And I mean the missing parts and scars on them.
Do you think its cool to keep catching the same fish?

Ya its fun but what about what is actually happening to the fish??????

rant rant rant....I could keep going if you like? :)
The survival rate on c@r fish is actually lower than fish kept to eat.

MtnGiant
03-24-2013, 09:25 PM
the survival rate on c@r fish is actually lower than fish kept to eat.

oh ya??????

Prove it!!!!!!

:)

BeeGuy
03-24-2013, 09:30 PM
The survival rate on c@r fish is actually lower than fish kept to eat.

+1

huntsfurfish
03-24-2013, 10:27 PM
the survival rate on c@r fish is actually lower than fish kept to eat.

lol

HunterDave
03-25-2013, 12:19 AM
I wish we could get a couple more down here in the south.

You may get your wish because there are several (3 more I think) that are currently being considered for "quality" fisheries......all around MH.

Up here the same group have their eyes on Dolberg, which already has +"quality" sized trout in it, and some in the Cold Lake region.

If you are strictly a fly fisherman and/or a C&R angler this might be good news to you but to the average angler that likes to icefish, keep fish to eat and having the choice of fishing with bait or not,......not so much.

pikergolf
03-25-2013, 12:26 AM
You may get your wish because there are several (3 more I think) that are currently being considered for "quality" fisheries......all around MH.

Up here the same group have their eyes on Dolberg, which already has +"quality" sized trout in it, and some in the Cold Lake region.

If you are strictly a fly fisherman and/or a C&R angler this might be good news to you but to the average angler that likes to icefish, keep fish to eat and having the choice of fishing with bait or not,......not so much.

Where did you hear that Dave?

HunterDave
03-25-2013, 12:36 AM

I'm going to do a search and get back to the thread with names of the lakes. I'm almost certain that it was 3 because when I read it I checked the names on a map and they were all around Medicine Hat. I also found out about Dolberg in my stomping grounds and the ones up in the Cold Lake from the same webpage. I may have even posted the info on here so I'm going to start my search to check the threads that I started.

HunterDave
03-25-2013, 01:00 AM

Don't hold your breath waiting for them to consult you.....Just ask the folks that used to fish Police Lake! :(

This is from 2011 but don't think for a second that it's gone away from behind the scenes......You know, with the folks that do the "consulting".

Oh, this is just for trout lakes. I don't know of any organization similar to Trout Unlimited for Pike and Walleye.

SRD / Quality Stocked Fisheries in Alberta 2011 Update and Status

http://srd.alberta.ca/FishWildlife/FisheriesManagement/documents/QualityStockedFisheries-StatusReport-Sep28-2011.pdf

Prairies Area
 Potential new QSF’s, subject to evaluation and public consultation: Boehlke’s lake, Goldspring Park Pond, Tyrrell Lake, and New Dayton Rod and Gun Club Pond.

Woodlands
 Consideration of Dolberg Lake as potential QSF, pending consultation.

Smoky Area
 No official QSF’s, but Swan is under proposal

Foothills Area
 Muskiki reporting high use, size of Brook Trout dropping at 40cm; proposal to modify regulations to enhance size.
 Pit 44 proposed for addition in 2012.

Summary
 Total of 17 QSF Lakes provincially
 8 new lakes proposed
 5 Areas undertaking monitoring

ak-71
03-25-2013, 08:51 AM
I keep regs in the truck and read them. Got checked twice yesterday with fish measured. Good thing I read the regs, and that the smallest RMWF I measuerd and kept (last for yesterday and this ice season) was legal, even though smaller than I thought it was when measured it first time :).
9 years in the US and 3.5 in Alberta I was checked 3 times, 2 of them yesterday :).

Zip-in-Z
03-25-2013, 10:11 AM
Always good to see what's new & I like to look at the pictures, too!

This one particularly ... "Caught my Eye" ..... does it look like that to you ?

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/hi.gif

Zip ...

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1060337_zps2b0c2cb5.jpg

Close-Up - "Can't see - Can You" ?

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1060338_zps09fef045.jpg

ogre
03-25-2013, 01:49 PM
LOL, Zip. "Caught my Eye", indeed!
The regs are by far my most important item when it comes to fishing. I usually carry extras and give them to people who obviously don't read the regs before hitting their fishing spots.

ssyd
03-25-2013, 06:08 PM
I just watch the board, if there are any changes I should know about, somebody will be bitching about it. :scared0018:

x2. The basics don't really change from year to year and if I'm going someplace intending to keep some fish I'll have a peek at the regs for where I'm going to make sure of limits. Otherwise, I just watch for bitching :)

jacenbeers
03-25-2013, 08:33 PM
I was kidding in my previous post that I dont read the regs. I read them all the time not only on the AB regulations site, but also in the paper copy I have.