PDA

View Full Version : Bow mounted motor size

diamond k
03-23-2013, 09:36 PM
I have a 17ft legend deep V hull boat am looking at puting a bow mounted minn Kota on the front. Can you give me some feed back on thrust size and shaft length that are optimum for this boat. I have a kicker on the back so really mainly for positioning and possibly some bottom bouncing etc.

huntsfurfish
03-23-2013, 10:09 PM
Would go with a Minkota Terrova US2 60" shaft 80 lb. thrust. I pilot or I pilot link.

This is a 24 volt system.

dale7637
03-23-2013, 11:02 PM
Would go with a Minkota Terrova US2 60" shaft 80 lb. thrust. I pilot or I pilot link.

I second that. I just installed one on my Lund. Make sure you go with 6 gauge wiring and a 60 amp breaker.

EZM
03-23-2013, 11:35 PM

Definitely the best set up for the boat is going with enough thrust and a longer shaft as huntsfurfish suggested - this is way to go if the budget allows.

You can probably get away with a 54" shaft - 12volt - 55lb thrust MinnKota Powerdrive for a lot less money but you will have less control in the chop and battery life will be 6-7 hours. This was the original set up on my old boat and it did the trick.

The Terrova 80 with i-pilot is the way to go.

diamond k
03-24-2013, 09:27 AM
I second that. I just installed one on my Lund. Make sure you go with 6 gauge wiring and a 60 amp breaker.

The boat is already pre wired with power to an outlet in the bow. Should i be checking the guage of the wiring before i buy the motor. Boat has 2 batteries.

EZM
03-24-2013, 12:47 PM
The boat is already pre wired with power to an outlet in the bow. Should i be checking the guage of the wiring before i buy the motor. Boat has 2 batteries.

If you are running a 24v system a 6 or 8 gauge is what you want.

You legend is probably running 10 gauge - it should be marked on the leads or wire itself.

It would not take to much to change it up or upgrade it. If you do that use multi strand coated marine copper wire and put in a 50 amp breaker or block fuse at the battery.

I have always been surprised there is no circuit protection on most new boats ....... for a cost of $40 it will protect your trolling motor.

The first thing I do on every boat is put in dedicated wiring, circuit protection and a dedicated fuse block to protect all my head units, trolling motors, down riggers and other auxiliary electronics.

I spend a couple hundred bucks to insure the $10,000-$12,000 worth of stuff that lives in my boat.

TJG
03-24-2013, 01:13 PM
http://www.motorguide.com/motor-selector

Definitely the best set up for the boat is going with enough thrust and a longer shaft as huntsfurfish suggested - this is way to go if the budget allows.

You can probably get away with a 54" shaft - 12volt - 55lb thrust MinnKota Powerdrive for a lot less money but you will have less control in the chop and battery life will be 6-7 hours. This was the original set up on my old boat and it did the trick.

The Terrova 80 with i-pilot is the way to go.

Walleyedude
03-24-2013, 02:29 PM

X3

That's the ticket.

Peace Country
03-24-2013, 03:35 PM
How many hours a day would this system run with 3-4 people in the boat. How would you charge this system for daily use.

huntsfurfish
03-24-2013, 05:44 PM
1-8hrs.

Put a 2 or 3 bank on board charger into the boat and charge all batteries at one time.

cube
03-24-2013, 08:08 PM

If you can afford this one you will love it. The I pilot is fantastic and the spot lock feature is GREAT. You don't have to worry about the wind and waves washing you up on the rocks when fighting a fish, truly a pleasure to use.
At first I did not think I would use the US2 (universal Sonar dual beam) but after trying it a few times I don't think my son would be without it. He can see the depth and fish up where he is and I can see the ones at the back of the boat where I am, truly works great esp. effective when working Sharpe breaks.

diamond k
03-24-2013, 08:08 PM
Ok really dumb question. How do I know if I have an inboard battery charger?

diamond k
03-24-2013, 08:13 PM
If you can afford this one you will love it. The I pilot is fantastic and the spot lock feature is GREAT. You don't have to worry about the wind and waves washing you up on the rocks when fighting a fish, truly a pleasure to use.
At first I did not think I would use the US2 (universal Sonar dual beam) but after trying it a few times I don't think my son would be without it. He can see the depth and fish up where he is and I can see the ones at the back of the boat where I am, truly works great esp. effective when working Sharpe breaks.

Pricey for sure but it seems to be the way to go

TJG
03-25-2013, 05:26 PM
Do u have 120 volt plug in the boat, it will b connected to the charger

huntsfurfish
03-25-2013, 05:51 PM

What kind of boat do you have? Brand/model.

If we know that someone might know where to have you look.:)

diamond k
03-25-2013, 06:14 PM
1996 legend V170 deep v hull

EZM
03-25-2013, 06:41 PM
1996 legend V170 deep v hull

On board chargers can be found by opening a few hatches, looking under the dash etc..... it should be a box that has all your battery leads IN to it and a plug or cord going OUT

I doubt your boat has it but you can buy and install one for pretty cheap ....

MinnKotta MK 330 is an excellent choice .... 3 banks - 30 amps

the MK 345 is 3 banks and 45 amps .....etc...

fishunt
03-25-2013, 07:04 PM
terrova/60'' shaft/80 pound thrust/us2/i-pilot. is good way to go. have one on my boat . mee likee / yes check wire gauge.

huntsfurfish
03-25-2013, 08:12 PM
On board chargers can be found by opening a few hatches, looking under the dash etc..... it should be a box that has all your battery leads IN to it and a plug or cord going OUT

I doubt your boat has it but you can buy and install one for pretty cheap ....

MinnKotta MK 330 is an excellent choice .... 3 banks - 30 amps

the MK 345 is 3 banks and 45 amps .....etc...

That L work:)