PDA

View Full Version : medium light fast action vs medium fast action rod

HuyFishin
03-25-2013, 10:28 PM
Looking at two rods which one would be a better overall rod for fishing random fish around alberta and B.C. ect.:test:

Gust
03-25-2013, 10:34 PM
What's your brand preferance?

Why I ask is because one brands medium is another brands med/light and another's fast is another's not.

EZM
03-25-2013, 10:34 PM
Wow .... that's a loaded question but you can probably take any fish on in Alberta (expect a sturgeon) with a medium light power rod and still be able to catch perch, gold eye and smaller trout so I'd have to say the medium light power ......

Both rods you mention are fast action so I did not comment on action (action and power are two different things of course).

BC might be a different answer - non-tidal, my answer would be the same.

HuyFishin
03-25-2013, 11:16 PM
What's your brand preferance?

Why I ask is because one brands medium is another brands med/light and another's fast is another's not.

St croix and fenwick

ssyd
03-26-2013, 10:44 AM
I've caught everything from 3" perch to 30" pike on a 6'6" medium-light Quantum, all using 10lb braid. With a lot of care and about a half mile walk down the river bank I feel confident I could land a 25-30 lb sturgeon on this rod. While not ideal for small fish, it's doable and a medium-light can land pretty much anything in Alberta.

CK Angler
03-26-2013, 12:08 PM
I prefer medium or medium heavy action even, I use medium action on all my walleye rods and medium heavy for my pike rods. Not sure I'd be overally confident setting the hook on a big gator with a medium light.... I picked up a nice Fenwick light action is use for trout & goldeye.

Walleyez
03-26-2013, 04:50 PM
I caught about 35-40 sturgeon last year on a medium action fast tip rod. Many of those sturgeon pushed the upper 30s low 40s. I caught them all on 10lb mono. You dont need heavy equipment for fish in alberta as long as you play the fish correctly. I mean if you really wanted to you could go to a heavy action rod and 50lb braid and horse the fish in, but what fun is that? Overall you cant go wrong with either the medium light or medium action rod. Both are strong choices, personally I wouldnt go over a medium actiion.

CK Angler
03-26-2013, 05:52 PM
One and only sturgeon I ever caught was caught on a medium action rod with 8lbs test fireline, took me 47 mins to land it, didn't get a weight but it measured 5'4", lots of fun but realistically targeting fish that big you want heavier gear, thats not to say you can't do it on light tackle...

MtnGiant
03-26-2013, 06:01 PM
Looking at two rods which one would be a better overall rod for fishing random fish around alberta and B.C. ect.:test:

Hey Sushi
You already have a bunch o St Croix rods.....so keep the collection going (chuckle chuckle :)) joke

Go to a fly shop that lets you try casting rods and find the right action for your swing rate.

And Gus is right.....each brand will feel different than another in its action.

And then price is a BIG factor.

Warmbreeze
03-26-2013, 06:46 PM
In terms of fighting fish, power of a rod is not much of a limiting factor (if you have the skill, patience and drag). Go look at videos on youtube of guys fishing for sailfish with 6lb and light rods.

There is a spectrum, the lighter the power, the longer it will take to bring in and the more exhausted the fish will be, sometimes giving it a less chance at survival during release. On the other end, heavier power rods you can muscle in the fish with more control, fights last way less and the fish won't be so tired and better chance of living when you release.

So in regards to fighting fish I think it is a matter of preference and skill.

I think (for me anyways), power is what dictates the size and weight of bait/lures you are throwing.
Although for kicks nothing beats fishing with a kids rod or UL power for larger fish when the bite is nonstop.

Maybe consider this when making your decision.

My 0.02