PDA

View Full Version : How much time left in the season?

Double-Eh
03-26-2013, 08:25 PM
Just curious if anyone believes there's still a chance to get out there and catch a couple perch. Truth be told, I only just started getting some form of time off at work and just started clearing enough money to buy a hut, auger, etc. I've been out thrice this year, my first year on ice.... and caught ZERO fish :angry3:

I noticed at Nakamun anyway, that the fish were just disinterested, had a few fish all but crash into my hook. I presume that's a shallow lake running low on o2 for the little guys.

Is there any chance a guy can go out in the next week or so with a realistic chance of bringing some eats home? Try and snap this shutout streak? Otherwise this summer I may cuss out every fish I pull up.:mad3:

waterninja
03-26-2013, 08:32 PM
i think a lot of the lakes close march 31 but then you can hit a lot of perch and trout ponds. the ice will be safe till the middle of april at least imho, but there might be a lot of flood water then.

Moosetalker
03-26-2013, 08:57 PM
We need a warm wind to burn the snow off instead of it melting and flooding.

Double-Eh
03-26-2013, 09:31 PM
Guess I'll just have to admit defeat in my rookie season....

But as soon as I can put my tin can in the water, it's payback time!!

bwackwabbit
03-26-2013, 09:59 PM
Why not give Gull a try if you can get there. Open til Sunday and has been fishing real well for me of late.

Cheers.

Geezle
03-27-2013, 07:57 AM
Anybody know if the Vegreville trout pond is aerated?

If so it would be a decent option for the OP to grab a few perch as well as a couple rainbows :)

pikeslayer22
03-27-2013, 08:45 PM
Anybody know if the Vegreville trout pond is aerated?

If so it would be a decent option for the OP to grab a few perch as well as a couple rainbows :)
There's lots of perch to be had but really small

Pikecrazed
03-27-2013, 11:40 PM
Not to highjack but would it be a waist of time to bring my auger to southern Alberta this weekend near travers

iliketrout
03-28-2013, 07:40 AM
Not to highjack but would it be a waist of time to bring my auger to southern Alberta this weekend near travers

The vast majority of PP1 lakes are closed from March 16 - May 7 for the walleye spawn. Make sure to read the regs and confirm if the place you want to go is open or not.

Most of the PP2 lakes are open until March 31, so you should be able to get a line wet at Sylvan, Gull etc.

Good Luck!

Drullexx
03-28-2013, 12:12 PM
The vast majority of PP1 lakes are closed from March 16 - May 7 for the walleye spawn. Make sure to read the regs and confirm if the place you want to go is open or not.

Most of the PP2 lakes are open until March 31, so you should be able to get a line wet at Sylvan, Gull etc.

Good Luck!

Hi

With Newell Lake, is it still open until the 31st? It's a PP1 lake - http://www.albertafishingguide.com/location/water/all/newell-lake

But, according to some info here:
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=125562

It might still be open until the end of the month? I tried calling the Calgary Fish and Wildlife to get clarification, but they're closed for lunch right now.

Looking to get out and do some ice fishing this weekend (Saturday), leaving from Calgary. Need to catch my first pike!

Thanks!

BeeGuy
03-28-2013, 12:27 PM
just read the regulations manual published by the government.

The links you posted have no bearing.