PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Rage BH's?

Jonny14
07-09-2008, 11:17 PM
I was just wondering if anyone out there is using the Rage mechanical broadheads, and how do you like them? Or do you use any other type of mechanicals?

grandslamer
07-09-2008, 11:47 PM
i use thr rage3's and i love them ive taken around 30 animals with them and never has a problem ant thats eveything from wild boar to a buffalo .

all shot were between 15 to 30 yards and were complete pass throughs with devisateing exit holes ive tried other mech in the past and will never change again

muzzy
07-10-2008, 12:48 AM
What type of weight u shooting Grandslam

grandslamer
07-10-2008, 02:32 AM
100 grain

Hoochie Papa
07-10-2008, 07:26 AM
How much tuning did you have to do when you switched from field points?

grandslamer
07-10-2008, 10:10 AM
no tuning at all they shoot the same as my feild points

BigRackLover
07-10-2008, 10:13 AM
I bought 2 pack to try (3 blade and 2 blade). I hear nothing but good things, especially the exit holes.

grandslammer - have you shot elk and moose with them?

Jonny14 - you in edmonton? The BHs come with practice heads so I was thinking of going out to do some target practice, you are welcome to come along.

grandslamer
07-10-2008, 11:09 AM
i have harvested moose, elk ,whitetail , mule deer,bear,buffalo, turkey and wild boar all using these broadheads and like i said not one problem

Jonny14
07-10-2008, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the info grand. Rack lover I'm in Whitecourt but thanks for the offer.

Hilgy
07-10-2008, 11:23 PM
This is probably a dumb question but how do you get mechanicals like this out of a target.

I would think you would bend or break the blades off???

As you can tell I'm new to the whole archery thing.

Hilgy

BigRackLover
07-11-2008, 12:06 AM
The practice broad heads don't expand on impact .. so they pull out with 'some' ease.

JohnS
07-11-2008, 08:27 AM
I was just wondering if anyone out there is using the Rage mechanical broadheads, and how do you like them? Or do you use any other type of mechanicals?

I use them and they are awesome!! and the Brand I use are Aftershock HYPERSHOCK 100 grain with a 2" cut Dia. :evilgrin:

aftershockarchery.com have look this company even makes a special broadhead for X-Bow's also.

Tcon
07-11-2008, 09:07 PM
I am a fan of the grim reaper broadhead, as well as the slick trick:

Here are a few interesting videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZCYnbIxy8w

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47qLegGlYwE&feature=related

and the most convincing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usbX25aArqg&feature=related

Rene

s_buffalo
07-15-2008, 11:44 AM
Kewl links, TCon. Thanks for posting them.

I was doing a bit of reading up on the Rage BH's, and was looking at the reviews on Cabela's site. The majority of the users were really happy with them, but some had issues with premature (in-flight) deployment, and/or the blades deploying in-quiver. Anyone here have any issues like that?

For me it's a toss-up right now between the Rage, Grim Reapers and Slick Tricks...

Stinky

Tcon
07-17-2008, 08:57 AM
If you want to match your field points without doing any tuning, and you are confident in mechanicals then the Grim Reaper's are the way to go.

If you are like me and want a finely tuned bow rig, and have the patience to match arrow to broadhead, spin arrows, test your groupings, adjust rests and sights then slick tricks are the way to go. Though many have had success right out of the pack.

Last season I shot a spiker mulie buck at 33 yards, quartering away with a slick trick 100gr, st axis spined at 340 and a 65lb bowtech guardian. It went through two sets of ribs and the far shoulder. It pierced the hide but didnt pass through. That is an amazing amount of energy.

Here is another video, independantly tested. Which validate the grim reapers claims.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc-srIw3na0

Rene

PS. Steel barrells dont taste good.

Stinky Coyote
07-17-2008, 09:11 AM
i had a 40 yrd recovery on a liver hit whitetail buck using a snyper 2 blade....basically same as the rage 2 blade....i was impressed, this would be the only expandable to use (ole Chucky Adams has converted and loves them now)...my top pics would be the montec for fixed and rage for expandables

slick tricks i tried were noisy and they didn't seem to penetrate as far with that steep blade angle and 4 blades....i like the montecs way better, cut on contact is the way to go for all broadheads imo

7 REM MAG
07-17-2008, 09:31 AM
those broadheads may shoot same hole as field tips but there is still some grey area where doubt remains about how much can actually go wrong witha blade not opening etc. with a cut on contact fixed blade like a montec or wac em that boubt goes out the window. Wac ems for me and i know they work on bears, going to have to find out on a deer this year

Trav
07-17-2008, 10:43 AM
those broadheads may shoot same hole as field tips but there is still some grey area where doubt remains about how much can actually go wrong witha blade not opening etc. with a cut on contact fixed blade like a montec or wac em that boubt goes out the window. Wac ems for me and i know they work on bears, going to have to find out on a deer this year

That is why I use the Tekan II expandable broadheads, they have the blades partially open and they slide back dont jackknife back less energy to open them up. I shot my whitetail buck at 48 yards with it and went right through and also my bull elk with them at 56 yards clean pass through and took out 2 ribs. I shot slicktricks before and they worked awesome went through my blackbear at 30 yards and he never knew what hit him.

Just my 2 cents

s_buffalo
07-17-2008, 11:56 AM
there is still some grey area where doubt remains about how much can actually go wrong witha blade not opening etc.

Yep, that's the only thing holding me back from mechanicals... Guess I have to just try 'em and see! :D

Stinky

7 REM MAG
07-17-2008, 12:32 PM
i think that if i go to a maechanical it will be one with a 1/2 or 3/4 blade on the front so that even if a blade doesnt open then there is still enough blade to do damage and hopefully take out the animal. Anyone know what kind of maechanical broad has a 1/2 or 3/4 inch cut on contact at the front of the head?

russ
07-17-2008, 12:58 PM
I'll be sticking to Snypers for my out and about hunting. I'm setting up my 2nd bow for hunting out of the blind. G5 Montec's & Blazers.

Stinky Coyote
07-17-2008, 01:29 PM
I'll be sticking to Snypers for my out and about hunting. I'm setting up my 2nd bow for hunting out of the blind. G5 Montec's & Blazers.

montec's & blazers....killer combo (same one i use and prefer also)

another great point brought up by russ there!...... thing to consider for you guys and the mechanicals....especially if you hunt from ground blinds (or plan too?) that have the mesh windows....might not want to shoot through the mesh with anything less than a cut on contact fixed blade there....whitetails especially require the mesh windows to be in by my findings, the other critters aren't near as sensitive....just keep it in mind....

BigRackLover
07-23-2008, 12:10 PM
I've never heard nothing bad about montecs. The reading I did about Rage broadheads was all positive ... of course its mechanical and therefore will always be subjective to mechanical failure no matter what.