PDA

View Full Version : Record Fish never recorded

EZM
03-27-2013, 10:20 PM
I often wonder how many record fish get caught and the person who caught them either doesn't know it, doesn't want other to know or simply never thought to look up the comparative size of the record fish over his "personal best".

I saw, and touched, a 48 lb Lake Trout come out of Lake Minnewanka about 20 years ago as a teenager on opening day weekend at the boat house.

I realize the record of 52 lbs has stood for about 80 years ..... but that one was close ......

I often wonder about that ....... I'm pretty certain I've seen some pretty close burbot come out of the canal at Mc Gregor .....

lannie
03-27-2013, 10:47 PM
Many years ago(approx 1990) I went with a group of friends with wives and kids to the little bow ice fishing in the spring. One of the kids about 10 years old caught a burbot that looked very large to me and i made the comment about it's possibility of being a record fish. It was a burbot and the majority of us were not impressed with the fish as a sporting fish and were not overly concerned but the kid became very focused. I took the youngster with his fish to the nearest grocery store that had a scale that was trusted. We did try Vulcan first but could not find anything and soldiered on into Calgary. We used the safeway store in the community of.. West across Mcleod trail from Midnapore, dont remember the community but I am sure the people from CYG would know. The person in the meat department weighed the fish and stampeed one of those styafoam meat containers and I had him sign it. It was in fact the record and I drove the kid home with his fish and the " sticker" on the meat tray. He was over the top as his father was too. I was pretty happy with myself for checking it out also . But and there is always a but.... the mother noticed the styrofoam on top of the fridge, threw it out not knowing what it was. It was a heart breaker for the Kid but he did get it. It just was not official. I think that record got broken each of the next couple years anyway. The kid became a super avid fisherman who ended up marrying a gal who's father owns a bunch of fishing lodges in Northern Ontario. He runs one of them today.

BeeGuy
03-27-2013, 10:47 PM
I think many of the records have been eclipsed by fish that were never recorded; especially in the days when fish were considered food, and not a contest/sport.

pickrel pat
03-27-2013, 10:54 PM
I think many of the records have been eclipsed by fish that were never recorded; especially in the days when fish were considered food, and not a contest/sport.

This.

tight line
03-27-2013, 10:54 PM
My buddy came pretty close with a Bull Trout! It broke my scale...lol

tight line
03-27-2013, 11:03 PM
And come to think of it forum member "stien" caught a 5lb 5ounce RMW out of the RDR Years ago when we were younger! Very close, and one Tank of a white!

BeeGuy
03-27-2013, 11:08 PM
My buddy came pretty close with a Bull Trout! It broke my scale...lol

And come to think of it forum member "stien" caught a 5lb 5ounce RMW out of the RDR Years ago when we were younger! Very close, and one Tank of a white!

lets see some pics of these record fish guys1!!!

EZM
03-27-2013, 11:14 PM
I heard a story of a 102 lb Laker netted in Cold lake ......I can find no reference to Cold Lake on the internet except (on Wikipedia it has the netted weight noted).

That would smash the record .......

I'm sure native sustenance fisherman break records all the time.

BeeGuy
03-27-2013, 11:19 PM
I thought that 100lb+ lake was from the Athabasca? no?

It was a triploid though, so it should be in a separate category from all the legit fish.

:thinking-006:

lannie
03-27-2013, 11:19 PM
I heard a story of a 102 lb Laker netted in Cold lake ......I can find no reference to Cold Lake on the internet except (on Wikipedia it has the netted weight noted).

I have a friend who teaches School in Ft.Chip and says he has seen a few trout that were over 50 lbs come out of nets.
The biggest out of Alberta was a 102 lb netted fish out of Lake Athabasca. Male and female, what ever thay are called

BeeGuy
03-27-2013, 11:20 PM
It would be cool if there was more records kept for the people interested. Maybe for specific lakes and rivers, so we could see what is possible.

lannie
03-27-2013, 11:20 PM
[QUOTE=BeeGuy;1906872]I thought that 100lb+ lake was from the Athabasca? no?

It was a triploid though, so it should be in a separate category from all the legit fish.

That's it but it was netted too so it does not matter.

BeeGuy
03-27-2013, 11:21 PM
I have a friend who teaches School in Ft.Chip and says he has seen a few trout that were over 50 lbs come out of nets.
The biggest out of Alberta was a 102 lb netted fish out of Lake Athabasca. Male and female, what ever thay are called

*Gynandromorph

Pikecrazed
03-27-2013, 11:37 PM
This summer the little bow had a summer kill in some areas and I went down to find a burbot that was well over 30" and had a huge girth it looked like a record to me

tight line
03-27-2013, 11:38 PM
lets see some pics of these record fish guys1!!!

I have a pic if it on a old cell phone, which i still have. Have been meaning to get all my pics off my old phones...some good memories/fish on them! Never took a pic of that white, but wat hed it get weighed on a deli scale.

100lb laker... I gotta go have a cold shower... Heard about it before as well, thought it came outa Athabasca.

Gust
03-27-2013, 11:41 PM
Canal burbs at mcgregor for sure record breakers but those were the days of no limits and 36" were small ones. Three 60 inchers caught back to back at the last weir long before they put erosion rocks in.

My dad caught a walleye that was gargantuan out of bassano but he doesnt care about fish for egos sake and down plays the fish that got away on him. I havent caught the moby of mobys yet of any species, just average big but I have witnessed monsters caught.

When I was a kid and fishing campbell river, I snapped a picture of a salmon just as it dove taking an old guys rod from his hands... It was massive. I got the film developed and gave the guy a picture of his one that got away -with his tacjle- and if I dig up the pic, i'll scan it and post it.

fish gunner
03-27-2013, 11:42 PM
I have gutted a coho that cleaned weighed over the Wr. 36lb3oz. Gutted. I have seen a bow in kootaney lake that would give fishngeeks a run for its $. Every year salmon most species are found dead at near Wr size .

baptiste_moose
03-27-2013, 11:43 PM

The last part of this statement is very true. I watched a net get pulled at a northern lake a few years back and there were 3-4 walleye pushing 10 lbs. He didn't even get excited. Says he's seen way bigger. I was loosing it excited!!

BeeGuy
03-27-2013, 11:53 PM
I can only think of one fish that may have been a record.

My pa caught a crappie in ON that was bigger than most bass we pull from the lake.

They had been newly introduced into the lake and it was bee eye gee.

huntsfurfish
03-27-2013, 11:57 PM
*Gynandromorph

Wasn't he one of the characters on the "Hobbit"?

Levy
03-28-2013, 12:13 AM
Im working at rabbit lake beside wollaston lake right now. My tech is a commercial fisherman when hes not working on exploration projects. He says 60 lb lakers show up in his nets at least once a year. He says oddly enough they show up alone or with at most a couple other huge lakers and thats its. No whites, small lakers or suckers. He was telling about the last ice fishing tourney he fished in here at Wollaston. 8th place was a 22lb laker. First was over forty. Im almost certain record fish are caught and eaten in northern sask on a yearly basis. According to one website and if i did my math right (inches to cm) a sturgeon I caught and posted previously on this forum is four cm longer than the current record for catch and release in Sask. I just don't know who to go to with this information or how to make it official if it is.

EZM
03-28-2013, 12:13 AM
Wasn't he one of the characters on the "Hobbit"?

Yeah .......... the evil guy ........ I see him at Mac's sometimes .....

Moefoe
03-28-2013, 02:58 AM
I caught a 14lb 5oz Bonefish (according to boga grips) in Cayo Coco Cuba on 6lb fluoro...that's gotta be at least worth a high five!!!

bigfro47
03-28-2013, 05:38 AM
When I was a boy we were fishing along the west shore of lake McGregor and we witnessed this guy catch a huge pike, when he got it to shore he put it accross his tail gate of his half ton. A portion of the head and the tail hung over each edge. My dad and my uncle were telling this dude to go get that thing weighed as it was a giant, buddy said" he'd just cut it up into steaks". We were all devastated.

Lefty-Canuck
03-28-2013, 06:26 AM
Years ago I caught a 36.5 inch long, 15.5 inch girth walleye in tide creek at pigeon lake when it used to be open and it was a decent fishery.

The fish was released and my exwife and 2 other fisherman were my witnesses no camera or scale only a tape measure. I guesstimate that fish to be 14 plus pounds.

LC

CK Angler
03-28-2013, 07:55 AM
Any body know the Alberta record for goldeye? Me and a buddy were smashing monsters in April a couple years ago from the Athabasca River, but couldn't fin any reference to the Alberta record... Anybody know?

**nevermind, found it. 4.2 lbs but no length measured??

jim summit
03-28-2013, 08:21 AM
Know of a 20lb Burbot caught this winter, F&W stated it was a Alberta record.

lannie
03-28-2013, 08:54 AM
I caught a 14lb 5oz Bonefish (according to boga grips) in Cayo Coco Cuba on 6lb fluoro...that's gotta be at least worth a high five!!!

That is Awesome. Must have done some real line rippin runs!

257wbyhunter
03-28-2013, 09:43 AM
i was told of a 45# pike netted in pigeon about 10 years ago by F&W. also said that it was released back.

FishHunterPro
03-28-2013, 10:29 AM
Seen a guy catch a 15lb burb at grist last year. Few pounds off the record but still big

jacenbeers
03-28-2013, 11:05 AM
I saw a massive walleye pulled out of Crawling Valley two years ago. A woman was fishing with a pickerel rig by the inlet canal and suddenly she caught a massive walleye. From what I overheard from where I was fishing, this was one of her first times fishing. She pulled the walleye out and I could not believe my eyes. She was grossed out by it and quickly pulled the hook out and tossed it back and I was so sad she didnt get a picture.

KegRiver
03-28-2013, 11:08 AM
Of course we will never know for sure but it's my guess that you are right, and not just fish, but big game as well.

I know that when I was young no one in the neighbourhood ever talked about trophies of any sort.

And there were a lot more Fish and game back then. I don't know if I have ever seen a top trophy anything but I know of a fair number of lesser trophies that never got recorded.

I have seen a number of Walleye in the 12 to 14 pound range.
I've seen several Moose that measured over 60 inches, I even took one myself.
I've seen a couple of Deer that would have scored well over the minimum,
I have photos of a Bear that was shot just a few hundred yards from where I sit right now, that I'm positive would have been in the top ten for Alberta, maybe for North America.
And somewhere there is a teacher with a B&W photo of a skinny kid holding a monster Goldeye. The biggest I ever caught. I'm sure it would have weighed more then five pounds.

And none were ever recorded, of that I'm quiet certain.

CantThinkOfAName
03-28-2013, 11:11 AM
Sorry to go off-track but 2 questions.
What happens if you catch a record from a lake you can't keep it from? How do you prove it?
Does Alberta have a C&R record? Sask has such a thing that measures records in cm. (Starting on pg.42 with fish ID -http://www.environment.gov.sk.ca/adx/aspx/adxGetMedia.aspx?DocID=bc022bb7-684b-4547-b064-49526fb40a99&MediaID=f52b6b3b-e379-400f-bcad-82c416765496&Filename=2013+Anglers+Guide.pdf&l=English )

208prov
03-28-2013, 11:20 AM

I know a guy who caught a 78 lb laker in cold lake years ago. (old friend)
he has also caught many over 50 lbs many of years ago, cold lake history book
2008 a 25 lb burbot caught in net by northeast side of island (uncle)
1974 22 lb walleye caught in primrose lake (by my dad)
1976 21.4 lb white fish caught in net by natives in saskatchewan
1976 48 lb northern pike caught in piercelake net

AdamJ
03-28-2013, 11:32 AM

:happy0180:

High five indeed!! WOW!

dragon
03-28-2013, 01:25 PM
One of my workers in the North Saskatchewan River

jacenbeers
03-28-2013, 01:30 PM
One of my workers in the North Saskatchewan River

I dont think that would break that 105 lb current AB record.

dragon
03-28-2013, 01:43 PM
I dont think that would break that 105 lb current AB record.

never claimed it did. but it is big

BeeGuy
03-28-2013, 02:08 PM
Thanks for posting a pic!

We'll have to be satisfied with length records on lake sturgeon for the foreseeable future

impatient_hunter
03-28-2013, 02:14 PM
I thought that 100lb+ lake was from the Athabasca? no?

:thinking-006:

There is a picture of it in the Fort Chip museum. That is one heck of a huge fish. Good museum too.

TROLLER
03-28-2013, 02:30 PM
Interesting topic.

I was at Crawling Valley a few years back and when I got to the dock the fishery guys were just taking their boat out of the water.

I asked if they had tagged anything of significance and the guy told me they tagged a 62 inch pike. When I asked what it weighed he said they did not weight the fish but it measured 9 inches across the back.

Now that is one monster pike by any ones standards.

Also saw a guy catch and release what he felt was a 40 pound lake trout at Minniwonka 2 years ago.

I truly believe there is a new record in Minnewonka and just hope whoever catches it is some how able to get the info and release it after.

fishinggeek
03-28-2013, 05:22 PM
We're headed out right now to catch one of these record fish.😎

BeeGuy
03-28-2013, 05:28 PM

post pics!

Freedom55
03-28-2013, 05:28 PM
Go ! geeks.

EZM
03-28-2013, 08:25 PM

Minnewanka ..... I will meet you there opening day !!!!!!

I will show you where and you break the record ...... just let me photo bomb your picture in the background .....lol.

Rigger - Dodger - Tiger shrimp/white/black stripe hoochie back 42"

Jig 2oz White Glow tubes + stinger OR buzz bomb green with red tip - white back.

The under water creek bed at hippy woods ...

catnthehat
03-28-2013, 09:00 PM
There is a picture of it in the Fort Chip museum. That is one heck of a huge fish. Good museum too.

The last time I saw that mounted fish ( I was very young) it was at Casa Lloma castle in toronto.
IIRC Ken Hawkins did the work, and the older pictures that are going around of the girl beside it are of his daughter, Adele.
Cat

fishinggeek
03-30-2013, 06:43 PM
Well headed home from a day and a half of fishing with my bro. Didn't catch an all tackle world record. We did catch a monster burbot might register for a line class world record. Went 37 inch at 16.7 lbs. also caught over 100 eyes. Hole was constantly filled with fish swimming around. Now that was the fishing fix I needed lol. Pics to come.

Shannon89
04-02-2013, 12:09 PM
watched a guy catch a lake trout that was 28lbs prob not a record but was massive huge