PDA

View Full Version : wabamun question

waterninja
03-29-2013, 01:47 PM
my fishing partner is bound and determined to catch one last big pike this weekend. he wants to fish the east side of the lake. i dont feel like dragging a sled through the snow so can anyone out there tell me if you can access the lake by truck by kapaswin? looks possible on google earth but hard to say for sure. thanks.

RavYak
03-29-2013, 01:55 PM
All this warm weather and you want to drive a truck on Wabamun? I don't ice fish so maybe I am out of the know on this but I don't think I would want to drive on a lake right now in all the snow and mush that is likely out there.

As for access the town launch is fairly close to east side, I haven't been to Kapasiwin but guessing anything there is private.

Geezle
03-29-2013, 03:21 PM
use the town launch

waterninja
03-29-2013, 04:31 PM
use the town launch
the town of kaspawin or wab? thanks.

mooseknuckle
03-29-2013, 04:48 PM
the town of kaspawin or wab? thanks.

He means wab town launch.

Fishing_Junkie88
03-29-2013, 08:15 PM
All this warm weather and you want to drive a truck on Wabamun? I don't ice fish so maybe I am out of the know on this but I don't think I would want to drive on a lake right now in all the snow and mush that is likely out there.

As for access the town launch is fairly close to east side, I haven't been to Kapasiwin but guessing anything there is private.

was out today, ice was over 30 inches still... more than enough for vehicle access

HuyFishin
03-29-2013, 09:05 PM
Was out there today, ice was very thick and solid still

RavYak
03-29-2013, 09:10 PM
As I said, I must be out of the know then lol. I figured with the warm weather after our recent dumps of snow it would become a mushy mess out there like the streets...

Sundancefisher
03-30-2013, 09:23 AM
As I said, I must be out of the know then lol. I figured with the warm weather after our recent dumps of snow it would become a mushy mess out there like the streets...

if you drive under the trestle you will always find bad ice. Otherwise...worst thing about Wab is when the ice gets yellow from rotting veg and run off. Once ice starts to melt away from shore is also a sure sign. If drilling a hole and the ice comes up chunky instead of shaved or chipped could also show the ice is changing and crystallizing.

YeeHaw
03-30-2013, 01:50 PM
Fishinf is slow so far today, three ppl, six rods, and not a hit yet. Anyone elce having better luck out here?

fishinggeek
03-30-2013, 02:46 PM
Fishinf is slow so far today, three ppl, six rods, and not a hit yet. Anyone elce having better luck out here?

Try laying your bait on bottom. Wink wink.

HuyFishin
03-30-2013, 05:27 PM
Went to wabamun today with my gf I coughy nothing, my gf cought one white and a perch

neekrivers
03-30-2013, 07:14 PM
went to Wab today at Fallis and landed 7 pike and 2 burb, the one burb had to be 10 lbs, was a fatty. one pike 14.0 and 12.13

today for some reason the pike were not at the bottom, I started setting all bait in hole just low enough that I could barely see the shine from the herring when I tug the line, I would guess 6-8 feet from the bottom. once I did this it was golden for me today.

boonedocks
03-30-2013, 11:28 PM
It was amateur hour at Wabamun for me today. I dropped my first line at two o'clock and stayed until eight when my wife phoned to say that we have no hot water in the house ( I swear she plans this stuff). Anyways, I had seven hits in total and landed only one five pound pike ! There was quite a few trucks at Fallis point so I took off and broke trail to the west, it's getting pretty soft on top but doable in 4x4 with good tires !! Tomorrow( and the rest of this hard water season) is a write off due to hot water tank failure. Good luck, keep your foot in er!!