PDA

View Full Version : Island lake

NorthernAbGuy
04-01-2013, 09:54 PM
Looking back at posts about "Alberta Bass" (eye roll, here we go again) rumored to be in Island lake. I checked out Island lake on Ifish app...it has about 5 returns for that lake name. I am thinking I want to use some of my vacay time to look for these elusive small mouth. So anyone who can point me to wich of these lakes is the one that holds smallmouh (supposedly)?

Guitarplayingfish
04-01-2013, 10:01 PM
I only know of 1 island lake... And it certainly has no bass.

I don't think the alberta climate can sustain bass, especially up north.

pickrel pat
04-01-2013, 10:06 PM
Up by smoky lake.

BBD
04-01-2013, 10:15 PM
Up by smoky lake.x2

highwood
04-01-2013, 10:59 PM
Straight north of Smoky Lake. Not a hell of alot of water in there anymore. Used to be a beautiful little lake.

Isopod
04-02-2013, 01:31 AM
20km north of the town of Smoky Lake on hwy 855, then about 4 km east.

chriscosta
04-02-2013, 05:07 PM
its close to hanmore and i seen pics of bass caught there within the last few yrs

HuyFishin
04-02-2013, 06:01 PM
its close to hanmore and i seen pics of bass caught there within the last few yrs

so there is a chance there might be some?:sHa_shakeshout:

pickrel pat
04-02-2013, 06:20 PM

I did not see said pics. therefore I can not say it happened.:scared0018:

Blastoff
04-02-2013, 06:35 PM
There was bass there but I have never seen any, that was a few years ago. I difinitly heard some people talk about.

bessiedog
04-02-2013, 06:38 PM
Back in the 80s
I fished that lake hard
Put many days on it during the summers.
Located and caught some real
Nice perch, and some fair to
Middling pike.

Always hoped for a bass, but no luck.

pickrel pat
04-02-2013, 06:42 PM
im thinkin a poll for should we have bass in alberta might be in order. would be a very interesting topic. someone get the ball rolling!!!!!!

NorthernAbGuy
04-02-2013, 07:14 PM
I think we have flogged the proverbial "bass in Ab" post enuff. There have already been polls and discussions. I think most guys are right, they just grow too slowly to be worthwhile stocking here. Thanks for the info on Island lake guys.

Levy
04-02-2013, 09:44 PM
Sask has got them now. In a few lakes. Only one was made public recently and its catch and release only. I was told the other two are somewhere around PA provincial park... only problem is there are hundreds of lakes in the area to try and many of them are hard to get to. Apparently its thought that the other lakes can't even sustain natural reproduction with incidental mortalities from catch and release fishing. They are further north and similar if not cooler climate than Island lake. Island lake did hold them until 96 if i remember right from SRD netting and angling surveys. From what i hear Island lake winter kills a lot lately because of decreased water levels.

Isopod
04-02-2013, 09:45 PM
If you go to the link I'm including, and scroll down to Duckbrat's reply, he includes a pic of a 16" smallmouth he caught in Island Lake in 2000. He went back in 2004, found the water much lower and had no success for bass. If you dig up some of the other threads on Island Lake in this forum, they indicate the water levels continued to drop significantly, especially by 2010-2012. It is highly unlikely there have been any bass in there for years now, sounds like it is mostly ravenous, highly stunted pike in there now.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=27972&highlight=bass+island+lake

Alberta Bigbore
04-03-2013, 07:02 AM
Its a chore to get a boat on.. and the bass will have to compete with hungry hammer handles. They are in there... just not stocked for a very long time. Seen pics from a boat thay landed two on an outing from 2010 or 2011..dont remember. Sure would be nice to catch consistantly.

M

pipco
04-03-2013, 04:06 PM
This "monster" was caught.....

...in Duck lake Manitoba last Sept. on a bead head boatman.

If you've ever caught one you gotta admit, Bass in Alberta would be fun!

It is unfortunate that many lakes in the north eastern part of our fine province have suffered from severe drought over many years. We fished Island lake many years ago but were not lucky enough to find any bass.

Pikecrazed
04-03-2013, 09:24 PM
This "monster" was caught.....

...in Duck lake Manitoba last Sept. on a bead head boatman.

If you've ever caught one you gotta admit, Bass in Alberta would be fun!

It is unfortunate that many lakes in the north eastern part of our fine province have suffered from severe drought over many years. We fished Island lake many years ago but were not lucky enough to find any bass.

We do have bass in ab I have seen a few large mouth pulled out of the xyz river In southern alberta

buckhunter66
04-06-2013, 09:52 PM
I caught a bass out of island. About 6 years ago.and the same day caught a 14 pound pike out of there

Guitarplayingfish
04-06-2013, 09:55 PM
We do have bass in ab I have seen a few large mouth pulled out of the xyz river In southern alberta

Pics:thinking-006:

Isopod
08-31-2013, 01:50 AM
So... with summer drawing to a close... did you, or any other member, make it out to Island lake to try for the elusive smallmouth bass? I'm thinking the bass have died out, but I'd love to see proof that I'm wrong.

NorthernAbGuy
03-02-2014, 01:13 AM
I never made it out. It is about 5 hours from me, and I had other priorities this summer. Still hoping I can get the kayak out there sometime this year. Will see if I end up working for the summer or not.