PDA

View Full Version : Need help with "wheelchair friendly" fishing spots in Alberta

Wheelfisher
04-02-2013, 12:42 PM
As my screen name suggests, I am in a wheelchair. I also like to fish. The trouble is, on a limited income it’s a bit expensive to fire off to a body of water I’ve never been to, only to find I can’t get close enough to wet a line. I’m wondering if the members of this forum would be willing to give me locations of fishable bodies of water (lakes, rivers, streams, trout ponds) that might be reasonably wheelchair accessible? I don’t need it to be perfectly level/paved or specially built for a wheelchair – just not down a goat path or down a cliff somewhere (I can swim, but my chair can’t – lol!). I intend this primarily for personal use, although I also have friends in a similar situation.

Feel free to IM me with any suggestions you have (Screenshots from Google Maps/Earth, or even GPS coordinates would be appreciated). Thank you for your help!

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
04-02-2013, 12:45 PM
Where abouts are you in the province . I myself have some issues with how far I can walk and be on my feet due to an injury . I hunt them places out like no ones business .

Wheelfisher
04-02-2013, 01:03 PM
I'm in Edmonton.

keep6matt
04-02-2013, 01:13 PM
PM sent to you both of you gentlemen :)

baptiste_moose
04-02-2013, 01:29 PM
Carson Pegassus by whitecourt

keep6matt
04-02-2013, 01:37 PM
Carson Pegassus by whitecourt

x2...another great choice for sure!

fish gunner
04-02-2013, 02:05 PM
Its a bit far , dickson trout pond has a few good wheelchair access spots.

LCCFisherman
04-02-2013, 02:49 PM
Carson has to be one of the best in the province.. Huge walkway and an abundance of large RNTR

HuyFishin
04-02-2013, 03:34 PM
hasse would have been ok place, it was easily accessible onto the floating docks they have, too bad it winterkilled

huntsfurfish
04-02-2013, 04:28 PM
I know its a long ways away, but Police lake south of Lethbridge has a bridge you can fish off of. It is a "quality" fishery lots of good size fish if you ever get down this way.

FishingFrenzy
04-02-2013, 09:48 PM
I believe Wabuman lake at the provincial park has two large docks near the boat launch area. If I recall correctly there is a wide, smooth path leading down to the docks. Good C&R for pike!

thumper
04-02-2013, 11:26 PM
If you're in the mountains east of Calgary, Quarry Lake near Canmore is great for Grayling. It's in a nice park with parking 100 yds away and a level, gravelled path that circles the pond. Picnic tables, small beach and washroom. Scenery can't be beat. No dogs permitted though.
Also, all small pond with stocked rainbows right beside the 1A highway west of Exshaw is pretty popular - good access & shore fishing. (name escapes me right now)

Pikecrazed
04-03-2013, 12:02 AM
If you're in the mountains east of Calgary, Quarry Lake near Canmore is great for Grayling. It's in a nice park with parking 100 yds away and a level, gravelled path that circles the pond. Picnic tables, small beach and washroom. Scenery can't be beat. No dogs permitted though.
Also, all small pond with stocked rainbows right beside the 1A highway west of Exshaw is pretty popular - good access & shore fishing. (name escapes me right now)

Grotto is your lo lake my freind

Pikecrazed
04-03-2013, 12:05 AM
If your ever downs south pcr travers have great acsess

Jayhad
04-03-2013, 08:57 AM
Wheelfisher,

My drift boat is specifically designed to securely hold a wheel chair. If you fly fish and would like to drift the bow let me know and I'll get you in the boat free of charge.

HuyFishin
04-03-2013, 09:06 AM
Wheelfisher,

My drift boat is specifically designed to securely hold a wheel chair. If you fly fish and would like to drift the bow let me know and I'll get you in the boat free of charge.

That a sweet offer lol

sturgeonhound
04-03-2013, 09:19 AM
Wheelfisher,
If you are interested, I can accomodate a wheel chair in my jet boat. I will be up at my place north of edmonton fishing the NSR for three weeks in august. If you like, let's set up a sturgeon adventure for a day......the only thing I'll warn you about is once you fight and land a nice NSR sturgeon, you'll be addicted......

Cheers,
SH

AppleJax
04-03-2013, 09:35 AM
Good to see the generousity on the forum. Very positive!:)

linger
04-03-2013, 10:05 AM
hi there if you like trout i would suggest star lake out by carvel good fishing access there.:)

Zip-in-Z
04-03-2013, 10:14 AM
If you haven't been to Sylvan for a few years the town has made numerous upgrades to the Lakeshore Dr. park, including new picnic areas, change rooms/washrooms, of course all accessible.

People catch lots of fish off the main pier, the path to & around it is gravel, but accessible.

Pick a nice warm day and after having some fun fishin check out the Big Moo Ice Cream joint, just across the street, they have over 100 different flavors!

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/hi.gif

Zip ....

Jayhad
04-03-2013, 11:49 AM
Wheelfisher,

I should have stated "if you fly fish or would like to learn"

Fish along
04-03-2013, 01:18 PM
Nice to see that some people rise to the chance to help out,shows admirable character ,great to observe

buckbrushoutdoors
04-03-2013, 02:33 PM
Wheelfisher,
If you are interested, I can accomodate a wheel chair in my jet boat. I will be up at my place north of edmonton fishing the NSR for three weeks in august. If you like, let's set up a sturgeon adventure for a day......the only thing I'll warn you about is once you fight and land a nice NSR sturgeon, you'll be addicted......

Cheers,
SH

Can I come to?

Rabdo
04-03-2013, 09:57 PM
The narrows at buffalo lake, good access to some good pike fishing

Garry B
04-04-2013, 12:49 AM
I am also in a chair and have done a lot of searching. I could add the Vegreville trout pond to the list. Has trout as the name implies (and millions of tiny perch). You can drive all around it. PM me any time.

Bigbuckhunter98
04-04-2013, 12:54 AM
It's a far drive from Edmonton but the red deer river by Mackenzie crossing has some flat spots that I'm sure would work for yah. Fish there are goldeye some walleye, and the ocassional pike.

Wheelfisher
04-09-2013, 10:47 AM
Thanks everybody that replied to my question - looks like I have a few more fishing spots to explore, once this *%@#!! snow and ice disappears. Cheers!

TMLhammy
04-09-2013, 11:02 AM
@ Jayhad & Sturgeonhound way to go boys!
Good luck wheelfisher can't wait to hear some of these stories

dragon
04-10-2013, 01:21 PM
There is a Trout pond on Hwy 60 South of Devon and West of leduc. It is about 2KM north of the hwy60/39 intersection. The parking lot is 5 metres from the dock with no hilss or anything. The dock is floating however very sturdy. It would even be ok if you had a powered chair.

braggadoe
04-10-2013, 01:36 PM
i've fished with several guys in chairs. and the limiting factor seems to be the thin tires. unless from a boat.

fat tires will open up alot of spots.

tires like on this chair, really limit the spots. good luck! have fun!

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n603/braggadoe/ALEX_zps157679c8.jpg