PDA

View Full Version : need some river fishing advice

elvis00
04-02-2013, 03:20 PM
I am trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong when it comes to River fishing.
I fish creeks and lakes no problem had a great summer with walleye, Pike and rainbows.

In the creeks I look for the pools and cast little spinners or spoons (eg. Panther Martin or Len Thompson. ) and have no trouble at all hooking trout.

When I get to a big river I look for those same pools. Try all types of lures and nothing. I have been to n.sask river, bow, Oldman, red deer, you name it lol.

Any advice?!

AppleJax
04-02-2013, 03:47 PM
Have you tried bait fishing?

Safety D
04-02-2013, 03:48 PM
Get a boat that can run skinny water

fish gunner
04-02-2013, 03:56 PM
Eddies hold fish , read a run as you would a stream. Just imagine a larger scale and stronger current. Jigs and heavier spoons might help.

baptiste_moose
04-02-2013, 07:17 PM
Pickerel rigs with 1 oz weight or more. Throw away the snells it comes with and run better snells. Minnow on top hook and worm ball on bottom hook. Cast and tighten line quick. U want bottom hook-up and place rod in rod holder. Tighten line so rod has an ark you can watch. You should be able to see the bites. Set accordingly. Don't waste you time when water is high or murky. A complete waste of time. Good luck.

waterninja
04-02-2013, 08:47 PM
Pickerel rigs with 1 oz weight or more. Throw away the snells it comes with and run better snells. Minnow on top hook and worm ball on bottom hook. Cast and tighten line quick. U want bottom hook-up and place rod in rod holder. Tighten line so rod has an ark you can watch. You should be able to see the bites. Set accordingly. Don't waste you time when water is high or murky. A complete waste of time. Good luck.
i agree with everything baptiste said except that i still fish the nsr when water is high and muddy. it is much slower then but i still love to be out there.

FishingZach
04-02-2013, 10:31 PM

Could not have said if betterX2 ! Except that i still fish when the river is dirty or high ! Good luck

lannie
04-02-2013, 10:46 PM
Any place you see the water current change cast in. Seams of any type and if you see foam there are fish to be had.If the water is high and dirty keep close to the edge, fish can run in very shallow water just as well especially when there is lower light. Remember the fish are always positioned looking upstream and trying to conserve as much energy as possible.

elvis00
04-03-2013, 09:20 AM
Thanks for all the responses, I really appreciate the advice.

winger7mm
04-03-2013, 09:31 AM
Could not have said if betterX2 ! Except that i still fish when the river is dirty or high ! Good luck

Better luck catching sturgeons iv found when its higher and dirtier ;) So I agree with a few lmao