PDA

View Full Version : early spring fly patterns

early spring fly patterns
04-20-2007, 10:12 PM
I am new to fly fishing, and love it so far. Last year was my first. Lots of trail and error with patterns. Fish mostly under a strike indicator. Could anyone please give me some advise on some good early season patterns? Chironomids perhaps?? This is very quickly becoming an obsession! I am willing to soak up any advice like a sponge. Thank you very much for any words of wisdom.

RyanGSP
04-20-2007, 10:34 PM
Icecrem cone and San Juan Worms have been working for me. Leech patterns of all sorts have been working. Been favouring the egg sucking leech and the bead head leech.

jrs
04-20-2007, 10:48 PM
What waterbody are you fishing. Lake, river ????. Nymphs are great this time of year.

RyanGSP
04-20-2007, 11:08 PM
I should aslo mention on lakes waterboatmen on the top have been working good as well.

04-21-2007, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. It's people like you that are willing to share tips and information that make this sport great. I fish stocked ponds and lakes. I use floating line with a strike indicator setup. My best all around fly seems to be a beadhead pheasant tail nymph, size 10. I'm going down to Diplomat Mine pond, southwest of Forestburg this afternoon to check it out, and will post a reply tonight. Thanks again for the advice!!

re
04-21-2007, 07:05 PM
Any type of stimulators. ie Pheasant tail, royal coachmen, prince nymph. Work any time of year. If they are coming to the surface, use a elk hair humpy or match the hatch!

04-21-2007, 07:14 PM
Was at Diplomat Mine pond, and the good news is the ice is off, and no sign of any dead trout around the shoreline. Fished for about an hour, with no luck. Tried several different nymph and chironomid patterns. My wife was fishing her favorite power bait, which usually never fails, but maybe they are a little sluggish with it being such a lousy day weatherwise. Looking forward to things to come.

RyanGSP
04-21-2007, 09:29 PM
Try the leech patterns. I don't have any luck with some of those patterns at one of the ponds I fish but as soon as I throw on a leech (bead head or eggsucking) its on like Donky Kong.

Scott N
04-22-2007, 05:54 AM
Another spring tip is to use a fly in a smaller size than you might normally use. Using a small fly like a size 16 chironomid or pheasant tail can be very effective when the water is still very cold.

04-22-2007, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the tips. Going to Blood Indian next weekend with some new knowledge in my back pocket.

RyanGSP
04-22-2007, 01:27 PM
The mosquitoes are coming out down here now. Lastnight I tied on a mosquito with a San Juan Worm tied below it. I was getting hits on both flies.

04-22-2007, 02:08 PM
Where can a guy get some good flies at a reasonable price through mail order? It's at least a 2 hour drive to get to anything that even resembles a fly shop from where I live. Who has the best selection?

Elnino54
04-22-2007, 06:16 PM
Hi there, I hve joined the forum last mo., and my hubby's name comes up instead... but at this time, Louise Shotton is my name and if u ar fishing the Lower Bow, use a nymph rig, set up with a prince nymph at the top of it, and use a leech pattern as a trailer... I shuttle vehicles, know the fishing, and it does change.... for the past week, this has been the best to have ur trout on... if u want the huge whitefish, put a San Juan on as a trailer. U also catch rainbows right now with it..... Wait and hit the deeper holes when u get to them... tie a weight below the bottom nymph
Louise Shotton

Elnino54
04-22-2007, 06:20 PM
Hi there, I hve joined the forum last mo., and my hubby's name comes up instead... but at this time, Louise Shotton is my name and if u ar fishing the Lower Bow, use a nymph rig, set up with a prince nymph at the top of it, and use a leech pattern as a trailer... I shuttle vehicles, know the fishing, and it does change.... for the past week, this has been the best to get ur trout on... if u want the huge whitefish, put a San Juan on as a trailer. U also catch rainbows right now with it..... Wait and hit the deeper holes ... tie a weight , say a number 8 split shot,below the bottom nymph around 5 inches below it...
Louise Shotton
Calgary 282-5071

04-22-2007, 07:13 PM
Thanks for that Louise. I fish stillwater, and am new to flyfishing. I'm getting some great tips, and am anxcious to try them out. Our local troutpond at Lougheed suffered a complete winterkill this year by the looks of it, and that was with 2 aireators going. Anyone else know of any winterkill in east central Alberta?

Northern Hunting Mom
04-23-2007, 10:04 PM
Try tyinh your own, its not expensive to get a basic set-up and its nearly as addictive as fishing.
Try phoning the fishin' hole, they have a good catalog.

drteith
04-23-2007, 10:37 PM
early spring patterns for stillwaters should include water boatman (both floating and wet), black crystal buggers, scuds, chironomids, bloodworms and doc spratley's.

Check out some patterns with recipes here...
Stillwater Fly Patterns (http://mikemonteith.tripod.com/flyfishingedmonton/id4.html)

Cheers,
Doc