PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got any opinions on which lake produces the best tasting trout

Fish along
04-03-2013, 12:25 PM
I like the fish out of Wildhorse lake by Hinton , also the trout at Pierre Grey lakes, Mabey someone knows a lake where the trout taste better.sea trout would be best but don't have that option at this time..

waterninja
04-03-2013, 12:35 PM
the best tasting trout i've had was from white lake in b.c.

Pincherguy
04-03-2013, 12:48 PM
I wonder where people come up with the ideas for dumb threads. Does anybody know where I can find a pair of high top runners that are 3 colors? I just hate the two tone ones they look kind of, welllll funny you know.
sheesh give me a break.:sign0161:

packhuntr
04-03-2013, 12:49 PM
Ya, my private fishery! Little lake X, SE 36-1#-##-w4 , lol! Not a trout eater but these guys are simply sumthin else

C Taylor
04-03-2013, 01:03 PM
Lake trout in McKee lake north of yellowknife. Trout here just can't compare

Fish along
04-03-2013, 01:14 PM
Would be nice to have my own fish pond,but I don't so have to what the majority of people do,also three colored runners shouldn't be that had to find.

Ken07AOVette
04-03-2013, 02:25 PM
Does anybody know where I can find a pair of high top runners that are 3 colors? I just hate the two tone ones they look kind of, welllll funny you know.

http://www.yoox.com/us/women/shoponline/high-top%20sneakers_c

I think we an help you! If everyone gets together, searches out these fancy shoes, pm whatever you find to Pincherguy!

:sHa_sarcasticlol:

BeeGuy
04-03-2013, 03:00 PM
http://www.yoox.com/us/women/shoponline/high-top%20sneakers_c

I think we an help you! If everyone gets together, searches out these fancy shoes, pm whatever you find to Pincherguy!

:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Some of Pincher's fancy shoes on that site are $600 a pair.

How about someone just drops by his place with some midol.

To answer the OP, the colder the water, the better the fish in my experience.

Rumtan
04-03-2013, 03:20 PM
Its true.....the colder the water the better they taste ! But that applies to most fish in Alberta. That is why ice fishing is such an active sport here.

Fish along
04-03-2013, 03:24 PM
Yes I would have to agree colder the water the better ,anyone ever eat fish from obed lake ? It's pretty deep I hear .i fished near crows nest some years ago caught some nice tasting brookies there can't recall the name , it wasn't far of the Beaton track though ,there was lake where you could catch cutthroats nearby , and also a lake to catch lakers beautifu deep lake thought I heard someone say a train was at the bottom at some time past

Buck Krazy
04-03-2013, 03:42 PM
Maclean pond

Wes_G
04-03-2013, 08:51 PM
Duck Lake Montana, Best tasting rainbows you will ever have. The meat is orange like salmon.

fish gunner
04-03-2013, 09:01 PM
Glen turret reservoir sco . Deep, cold, clean. fed by a burn used for distilling the golden nectar.
Precious water, percious fish.10 £ a day and a brace of fish as a limit. What more could a laddy or lassie need. :sHa_shakeshout:

rem338win
04-03-2013, 11:55 PM
The Shuswap. Fillets look like a salmon and taste better. I ate the bellies off of 4 tonight and will do so again soon. The rest is hitting the Smoker and the BBQ!

jacenbeers
04-04-2013, 11:16 AM
Carburn Park Pond in Calgary.

bigshu
04-04-2013, 11:24 AM
Someone once told me the reason Sockeye is so highly sought after was because they feed almost exclusively on krill when in the salt. This might explain the pond fish being so good as fish pellets are usually made from krill. Just a side note, I took 15 whites from Gull this winter and every one had a belly full of scuds.

RayL42
04-04-2013, 12:25 PM

X2

brobinson
04-04-2013, 12:27 PM
Yes I would have to agree colder the water the better ,anyone ever eat fish from obed lake ? It's pretty deep I hear .i fished near crows nest some years ago caught some nice tasting brookies there can't recall the name , it wasn't far of the Beaton track though ,there was lake where you could catch cutthroats nearby , and also a lake to catch lakers beautifu deep lake thought I heard someone say a train was at the bottom at some time past

The train is at the bottom of crows nest lake, right on the right hand side of the #3 about 10-15 mins outside of Coleman easiest access to a lake you could think of. Supposed to be some nice lakers in the deep stuff. I haven't had a chance to fish it though.

Eddy62
04-05-2013, 10:27 AM
I wonder where people come up with the ideas for dumb threads. Does anybody know where I can find a pair of high top runners that are 3 colors? I just hate the two tone ones they look kind of, welllll funny you know.

well you did read this thread...................................:sign0161 : Dark Lake bc brookies they were awesome...................................later

Safety D
04-05-2013, 11:45 AM
Trout taste like crap compared to perch, jack and eyes !!

HuyFishin
04-05-2013, 12:03 PM
Duck Lake Montana, Best tasting rainbows you will ever have. The meat is orange like salmon.

thats a sign that it may be radioactive, now your childern are gonna have 3 nipples and 6 eyes lol jk

Trout taste like crap compared to perch, jack and eyes !!

i like trout perch and eyes

Jack............ not so much lol

i made ginger steam fish with soya sauce before using trout, and it tasted AMAZING,

http://www.essentialkids.com.au/recipes/cantonesestyle-steamed-fish-20111019-1m3pc.html

This is the recipe i used

keep6matt
04-05-2013, 12:09 PM

And I wonder why people put dumb responses (look the above)....shakes head...grow up or don't post anything if you have nothing good to say. Anyways to help out with advice for good tasting trout, my experience was as mentioned on here, good cold water, deeper the lake/pond the better and aerated ponds always produce better tasters. Mitchell is a great little pond and same with Struble as well.

338Bluff
04-05-2013, 12:28 PM
Dolberg lake in the winter. Lake X in Saskatchewan is a close second.

Aside from lakes I find that the char taste better than trout. Unless, they are big fish then they are all equally greasy.

As for runners, you should get a load of the new spring fashion on the racks at Sport Check....phewww! They likely glow in the dark. For those of you with teenagers aspiring to be the next Nash, Lin, James be ready to shell out!

keep6matt
04-05-2013, 12:42 PM
Aside from lakes I find that the char taste better than trout. Unless, they are big fish then they are all equally greasy.

I find the best way to eliminate the "greasy taste" of lakers and larger trout is to fillet the fish as you would a walleye, pike etc and remove the white fatty tissues on upper back and behind the dorsal fin with a very sharp knife, the belly meat also contain alot of the white fatty tissue that contains the oils that in turn give a greasy texture to the meat. I have a stellar recipe for a baked or BBQ stuffed lake trout and salmon. Cheers!

TRG
04-05-2013, 12:48 PM
Upper Kananaskis Lake in Alberta has great tasting trout - there is a path that runs along the lake from the upper parking lot to a set of waterfalls emptying into the lake. The base of the falls has amazing fishing - there were several people fly fishing but we took our girls and just used small spinners. We limited out on trout everyday.

Pincherguy
04-05-2013, 01:05 PM
And I wonder why people put dumb responses (look the above)....shakes head...grow up or don't post anything if you have nothing good to say. Anyways to help out with advice for good tasting trout, my experience was as mentioned on here, good cold water, deeper the lake/pond the better and aerated ponds always produce better tasters. Mitchell is a great little pond and same with Struble as well.

I guess if people post these kind of threads they deserve the dumb answers. ... shake head back ... My question was about the shoes, don't have an answer the sshh

Speckle55
04-05-2013, 02:47 PM
And the answer is ... wait for it

Maligne Lake Jasper National Park 5400' 310fow

enjoy pic's

David:)

Fish along
04-05-2013, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the POSITIVE feedback ,I learned some valuable stuff,

Fish along
04-05-2013, 07:01 PM
There are a lot of very well spoken people on this site, you can tell by the way they express themselves ,my request for good tasting trout wasn't off the wall I think,I've eaten trout out of 100 lakes and some are far superior to others,

Fish along
04-05-2013, 07:05 PM
Very nice pics of maligne,never fished there before,some say the fish are delicious,also they say you can only keep one a day ?

Speckle55
04-05-2013, 07:54 PM
Very nice pics of maligne,never fished there before,some say the fish are delicious,also they say you can only keep one a day ?

2 a day but once you have 2 on stringer you can't fish any more that day so if you want to do supper and catch and release only put one on stringer

here is a end of the day pic coming home:sHa_shakeshout:

enjoy

Mike_W
04-05-2013, 07:55 PM

:snapoutofit:

schmedlap
04-05-2013, 09:26 PM
By far the best tasting "trout" are char (Brook trout. Lakers) out of really cold water. Muskiki brooks, Yukon Lakers. Rainbows and Cuts are pretty good if out of cold water. Yukon Lakers (especially in the early spring) are just about as good as Arctic Char (the absolute best if you can ever get some, and they are COLD water fish) - very "red" and with enough fat to be self-basting on an open fire grill. If you get Rainbows or Browns out of warm potholes or reservoirs they often are fine smoked, but can't really compare to char out of really cold water. The key factor is cold water - the second one is diet; if they are eating minnows/shrimp they are way better than if they are eating bugs. Much the same goes for perch/pike. Walleye seem to be just as good out of warm as cold (?). Burbot are fantastic regardless of water temp - but they are the local "lobsters", i.e. scavengers. So, my theory is that it is largely a factor of the water temp and diet (?), for most fish - walleye and burbot may be exceptions (?).

Fish along
04-06-2013, 10:17 AM
Dolberg lake in the winter. Lake X in Saskatchewan is a close second.

As for runners, you should get a load of the new spring fashion on the racks at Sport Check....phewww! They likely glow in the dark. For those of you with teenagers aspiring to be the next Nash, Lin, James be ready to shell out!

How long to travel to this dolberg lake from central Alberta?

Fish along
04-06-2013, 10:24 AM
2 a day but once you have 2 on stringer you can't fish any more that day so if you want to do supper and catch and release only put one on stringer

enjoy

Holy cow ! What a catch I'm the one who should be holding theese beauties..congrats.i bet they are tasty .sooo shiny.

Pincherguy
04-06-2013, 10:27 AM
:1041::sSc_hiding::snapoutofit:

Fish along
04-06-2013, 10:30 AM
Love to get some char , love the taste where do I sign up ? Can theese be caught anywhere in Alberta . If no where I'd closest place

huffy
04-06-2013, 11:20 AM

enjoy

Jealous!

fish gunner
04-06-2013, 12:22 PM
Love to get some char , love the taste where do I sign up ? Can theese be caught anywhere in Alberta . If no where I'd closest place

Brookies &lakers are char as are bulls and dolly varden.

Fish along
04-06-2013, 12:51 PM
Jealous!

Hey speckle55 do you live near maligne lake?

Wild&Free
04-06-2013, 03:46 PM
Morice Lake, NW British Columbia. I have never found a depth chart for this lake, and when my dad had his boat on it, his depth sounder (good for 660') just didn't get a return signal 200' off shore.

Fish along
04-06-2013, 08:34 PM
Morice Lake, NW British Columbia. I have never found a depth chart for this lake, and when my dad had his boat on it, his depth sounder (good for 660') just didn't get a return signal 200' off shore.

Hell of a deep lake catch fish there , what kind?

SilversidesBC
04-06-2013, 11:14 PM
Someone once told me the reason Sockeye is so highly sought after was because they feed almost exclusively on krill when in the salt. This might explain the pond fish being so good as fish pellets are usually made from krill. Just a side note, I took 15 whites from Gull this winter and every one had a belly full of scuds.

"Sockeye salmon, unlike other species of Pacific salmon, feed extensively on zooplankton during both freshwater and saltwater life stages.[9] Their numerous gill rakers strain the plankton from the water. This diet may be the reason for the striking hue of their flesh, as well as their very low concentration of methylmercury. They also tend to feed on small aquatic organisms such as shrimp. Insects are part their diets at the juvenile stage."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sockeye_salmon

I don't know about pond pellets but most feed pellets these days, as in farmed salmon, is made from something much less appealing like chicken feather meal and chicken guts, GMO soy and wheat... :(

Springer
04-07-2013, 03:20 AM
Without a doubt , Dollies from the Cold deep Kootenay lake !! Hands down the best trout i have ever eaten.

Wild&Free
04-07-2013, 08:32 AM
Hell of a deep lake catch fish there , what kind?

Rainbows, Lakers, Cutt-throat, the odd cut-bow but not many. There's also Dolly Varden, and maybe even some bull trout, yes I know the difference between the two and have caught both out of this river system. The lake is part of the headwaters of the Skeena River system and one of it's tributaries has a Sockeye run, as well as Chinook, Coho, and Pink Salmon during the right time of year. There's also Kokanee too, but I've never caught one. Of course one is not allowed to keep Salmon once they hit this lake, but it's still fun if you hook into one.

Mountain Guy
04-07-2013, 10:15 AM
And the answer is ... wait for it

Maligne Lake Jasper National Park 5400' 310fow

enjoy pic's

nope.........wait for it................ Amethyst bows have maligne brookies beat.

huntin'fool
04-07-2013, 10:24 AM
nope.........wait for it................ Amethyst bows have maligne brookies beat.

Hot Dawg! that looks like a meal. Was that a fall fish? I'm just taking a wild guess in deciding that the time stamp is way off.

Mountain Guy
04-07-2013, 10:35 AM
Hot Dawg! that looks like a meal. Was that a fall fish? I'm just taking a wild guess in deciding that the time stamp is way off.

That isn't white sand in the boat :)

58thecat
04-07-2013, 10:54 AM
Some of Pincher's fancy shoes on that site are $600 a pair.

How about someone just drops by his place with some midol.

Ya what he said....jeesh, Colder the water the better, running cold water even better!

Fish along
04-07-2013, 12:39 PM
Thanks guys for the great pics ,and your input.

huntsfurfish
04-07-2013, 01:02 PM
"Anyone got any opinions on which lake produces the best tasting trout"

Thats easy. Joeys Only Reservoir.

Most large cities have one or more Joeys Reservoirs.

:)

McLeod
04-07-2013, 01:17 PM

With all do respect.Amethyst Brookies beat Amethyst bows side by side..

Maligne brookies are yummy..

Nothing beats a Brookie from Cold mountain water.

fishman
04-07-2013, 01:31 PM
Not sure about now but fish stocking pellets where called liver pellets hence the whit meat and ****ty taste..........fresh water shrimp in cold water cant beat.............prime example amesthy lake brookies are the best and what do they feed on shrimp and cold deep water

danewfy
04-07-2013, 08:35 PM
The good thing about joeys resoirvoir is its open all yr round
And no size or catch limits

Fish along
04-07-2013, 09:12 PM
Where is this Amethyst Lake ,BC?

Fish along
04-07-2013, 09:15 PM
I was into one of those Joey Resevoirs once ,and was it impressed ,I'll stick to a shore lunch anytime.

crf250xtom
04-07-2013, 09:41 PM
How about just purchase your fish from the market instead of pillaging our little fisheries?

Mountain Guy
04-07-2013, 10:54 PM
With all do respect.Amethyst Brookies beat Amethyst bows side by side..

Maligne brookies are yummy..

Nothing beats a Brookie from Cold mountain water.

Think so? I think the brookies in the tonquin are horrible! They have pale meat compared to the sockeye red rainbows. My experiences have always been that the redder the better when it comes to trout or salmon.
Maligne brookies are nice and red compared to the pale one's in the tonquin.

Speckle55
04-07-2013, 11:02 PM
Its is in Jasper National Park here is a map of park its on the west side of park

http://www.explorejasper.com/maps/JasperNationalParkMap.pdf

Mountain Guy
04-07-2013, 11:18 PM

Its in the Tonquin valley, about a 5 hr hike in.

Mountain Guy
04-07-2013, 11:24 PM
Decent scenery too.

McLeod
04-08-2013, 09:50 AM
Think so? I think the brookies in the tonquin are horrible! They have pale meat compared to the sockeye red rainbows. My experiences have always been that the redder the better when it comes to trout or salmon.
Maligne brookies are nice and red compared to the pale one's in the tonquin.

You are dead on with the red thing. But I have actually only eaten a few out of there and the meat was orange.

Never fished there as late in the year as you have based on those pictures..
Very impressive. Fishing still decent ?

Fish along
04-08-2013, 12:52 PM
There are a lot of very well spoken people on this site, you can tell by the way they express themselves ,my request for good tasting trout wasn't off the wall I think,I've eaten trout out of 100 lakes and some are far superior to others,

Decent scenery too.

Beautifu scenery ,I suppose ,the bears like it As well,

bowness
04-08-2013, 01:18 PM
Winter caught do seem to taste better. Beaver Mines has some really tasty rainows. Also some bulls to add to the pan:argue2:.
Whoops need to do Beeguys survey.

People seem to have a variety of opinions on Chain fish taste but I hit it on my way boarding to Castle mountain about 10 times this year and am going to get laughed at about my low, low success rate. The ones "i used to catch" were very clean and tasty.

bowness
04-08-2013, 01:21 PM
On a better note I deep friend one of my tagged walleye from Newell last year and lets just say my wife was sooo pleased with my cooking that...
Well thats another story!!!:love0025:

Fish along
04-08-2013, 02:09 PM
On a better note I deep friend one of my tagged walleye from Newell last year and lets just say my wife was sooo pleased with my cooking that...
Well thats another story!!!:love0025:

Where is beaver mines?

pickrel pat
04-08-2013, 02:17 PM
Best tasting fish always come from catch and release lakes.....sigh....

bowness
04-08-2013, 02:36 PM
Go up westcastle drainage towards castle mountain ski resort.

Mountain Guy
04-08-2013, 06:17 PM
You are dead on with the red thing. But I have actually only eaten a few out of there and the meat was orange.

Never fished there as late in the year as you have based on those pictures..
Very impressive. Fishing still decent ?

Ya, we've only kept 2 brookies outta there and they were both of the pale variety. Both big dark males so that may have had something to do with it, as I've seen big pale males out of maligne as well.
I'm thinking the brookies may not feed as heavily on the daphnia as the rainbow do. That lake is thick with the red daphnia critters.
Fishing is decent, but hit or miss like most lakes. Last time up there we couldn't get on the lake in 3 days for wind.

Mountain Guy
04-08-2013, 06:20 PM
Beautifu scenery ,I suppose ,the bears like it As well,

Oh yes... big grizz hang in the valley and along the trails heading in.

McLeod
04-08-2013, 07:48 PM
There was of course the fatal maulings about 20 years ago.

I will make my annual trek maybe two this year !

Mountain Guy
04-08-2013, 08:00 PM
There was of course the fatal maulings about 20 years ago.

I will make my annual trek maybe two this year !

Yup...but that was on the portal cr. trail. We go in from Cavel :)

goldscud
04-08-2013, 08:15 PM
Tiny orange critters are probably ostracods in lakes.

McLeod
04-08-2013, 08:55 PM
Tiny orange critters are probably ostracods in lakes.

Gammarus

Mountain Guy
04-08-2013, 09:31 PM
When i say little critters I mean little. Almost microscopic. If you look really close you see them in the water by the thousands. .... and their red.
Was told daphnia by somebody more biologist-like than myself.

rielbowhunter
04-08-2013, 10:02 PM
I like the fish out of Wildhorse lake by Hinton , also the trout at Pierre Grey lakes, Mabey someone knows a lake where the trout taste better.sea trout would be best but don't have that option at this time..

Spray lakes

Fish along
04-09-2013, 09:14 AM
Anyone come in contact with the grizzlies up at silks tone at all . Talked to a guy summer before last up at Wildhorse ,said he got run of by a grizz , said he jumped in the lake and swam across to his pickup, he said he would have been mauled only for his dog. But there's some huge rainbows , and excellent tasting , in the Silkstone.

McLeod
04-09-2013, 10:04 AM
Heard that one before and likely true. There are Grizzlys every where . Just take the precautions and thinking ahead of time what you would do in a situation if you should run into one.

Fish along
04-09-2013, 11:11 AM
What sort of precautions ? Pepper spray ,bells ,whistles etc.A rifle would be my pick ,would that be illegal ? As protection I mean .

McLeod
04-09-2013, 11:59 AM
Outside the park yes ..But getting back to the topic of this thread... Trout from mountain waters are usually tasty over an open fire with a little butter and a few onions and pepers ..wrapped in tin foil and cokk on each side for 4 to 7 mins depending on heat..hungry now. heading for lunch..

elkonthemind
05-14-2013, 11:14 AM
Ribbon Lake hell of hike to get in there but i hit 3 lbs cutthroat all day long and nothing like it in the world getting itching every year to get back there nothing like high mountain lakes with a glacier feeding it cold as can be mmmm.

lambski
03-03-2015, 09:34 PM
It is true, it was me! Mary Gregg has great tasting trout!