PDA

View Full Version : Bass vs walleye vs rainbows vs pike

Pikecrazed
04-03-2013, 09:34 PM
Which would you choose to have stocked in Alberta waters

Stally77
04-03-2013, 09:38 PM
Wich would you choose to have stocked in Alberta waters

100% walleye! This so we don't need tags to harvest them! Pretty bad when u have to go to sask to keep a few walleye to eat!

FishingFrenzy
04-03-2013, 09:39 PM
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll25/ArwingAce21/beating-a-dead-horse.gif

Other, snakehead.

baptiste_moose
04-03-2013, 09:41 PM
100% walleye! This so we don't need tags to harvest them! Pretty bad when u have to go to sask to keep a few walleye to eat!

What planet do you live on. There are tons of lakes you can keep walleye. If you live in Calgary your loosing like your flames!!

fish gunner
04-03-2013, 09:56 PM
I voted other as I would like to see all natural speices, bulls, cutties, pike, Walters perch and such recive stockings of new breeding stocks ie burnstick perch in sylvan,gull perch in burnstick. Wabum pike in pine. Just me thinking out loud.

bubba 96
04-03-2013, 09:58 PM
Had to pick bass, caught some good smallies with Simon frost in ont, 2yrs ago and am a fan for life, the fight on those buggers are sweet....

Pikecrazed
04-03-2013, 10:01 PM
Your all wrong it's pike jeez ud think u guys would know that

Guitarplayingfish
04-03-2013, 10:06 PM
I didn't vote, because I find it irrelevant.

However, Native species should be of primary concern.

Pikecrazed
04-03-2013, 10:11 PM
I didn't vote, because I find it irrelevant.

However, Native species should be of primary concern.

Hencforth pike

OttCan
04-03-2013, 10:28 PM
Are there not enough trout stocked lakes, rivers and streams?!

BRING ON THE BASS!!!

trapshooter
04-03-2013, 11:36 PM
WALLEYE! Like said, it sucks that there are very few lakes in Southern AB that you can keep walleye from.

HuyFishin
04-03-2013, 11:37 PM
would love to have more variety like crappie and bass

need more walleye too!

bubba 96
04-03-2013, 11:39 PM
WALLEYE! Like said, it sucks that there are very few lakes in Southern AB that you can keep walleye from.

There is a fair bit of lakes you can keep, I'm in airdrie and pull my limit most times, now that I know where, I won't be applying for tags this yr...

pickrel pat
04-04-2013, 06:36 AM
Horsetraitor says BASS!!!!

Stally77
04-04-2013, 06:51 AM
What planet do you live on. There are tons of lakes you can keep walleye. If you live in Calgary your loosing like your flames!!

Tell me what lake in central AB u can keep walleye without a tag. Even around Edmonton. There are none. And its quicker to drive to sask than to go to northern AB to keep 1 Wallace. JMO. GO oilers Go! I'm from planet Clingon! Lol :fighting0074:

M.C. Gusto
04-04-2013, 07:41 AM
Tell me what lake in central AB u can keep walleye without a tag. Even around Edmonton. There are none. And its quicker to drive to sask than to go to northern AB to keep 1 Wallace. JMO. GO oilers Go! I'm from planet Clingon! Lol :fighting0074:

I would love to hear the answer to this question. I have caught so many walleye st lake isle and lac st anne ( like 50 in an afternoon) i always thought they shoukd have opened those lakes. Just not worth the gas money to travel for one walleye.

fish gunner
04-04-2013, 08:01 AM

Buck lake and the red deer river below tolman both allow retention of walleye over 50cm.

CK Angler
04-04-2013, 08:15 AM
I'm a Walleye guy. Easy vote for me.

keep6matt
04-04-2013, 08:35 AM
Was a toss up between walleye, smallmouth bass (would be so cool to have some ponds with those) however I chose other pertaining to Brown Trout, definitely need more of these magnificent fish brought back to our depleting creeks and rivers. My two cents

SCHOOCH
04-04-2013, 08:41 AM
Bass !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ssyd
04-04-2013, 09:11 AM
If bass would survive I'd have voted for that but as a realist I voted for those tasty, tasty walleye. I'd love to see a walleye pond with a 5 limit like the trout ponds.

ssyd
04-04-2013, 09:28 AM
Was a toss up between walleye, smallmouth bass (would be so cool to have some ponds with those) however I chose other pertaining to Brown Trout, definitely need more of these magnificent fish brought back to our depleting creeks and rivers. My two cents

Brown trout aren't native to North America.

baptiste_moose
04-04-2013, 09:40 AM

There's only 7 lakes in Alberta that have the tag system. There are lotsa lakes that allow you to keep walleye. If you don't wanna drive more then 20 minutes that's your problem. Not gonna start naming them cause pressure will def go up on these lakes. Open your regs and hunt like most do. They will never open lakes under 35 min from the city because they will get crushed. I'm done hearing people complain about tag system and zero limit walleye lakes. Would you rather have no walleye in Alberta. And yes sask is awesome but double the lakes and half the fishing pressure. Make a friend or two that likes to fish and start sharing the gas bill. I'm done listening to people cry about this cause it's only gonna get worse as Alberta grows. And yes go oilers go. Calgary took a whoopin!!!

pickrel pat
04-04-2013, 09:52 AM
There's only 7 lakes in Alberta that have the tag system. There are lotsa lakes that allow you to keep walleye. If you don't wanna drive more then 20 minutes that's your problem. Not gonna start naming them cause pressure will def go up on these lakes. Open your regs and hunt like most do. They will never open lakes under 35 min from the city because they will get crushed. I'm done hearing people complain about tag system and zero limit walleye lakes. Would you rather have no walleye in Alberta. And yes sask is awesome but double the lakes and half the fishing pressure. Make a friend or two that likes to fish and start sharing the gas bill. I'm done listening to people cry about this cause it's only gonna get worse as Alberta grows. And yes go oilers go. Calgary took a whoopin!!!

I think alberta has 900 fishable lakes and streams to sasks 90,000.

keep6matt
04-04-2013, 10:06 AM
Brown trout aren't native to North America.

So what? They are still stocked by fisheries (not as much as rainbows or walleye) and I voted my opinion. Personally in my humble opinion, smallmouth bass would be ideal as well in aerated ponds and would encourage the new generation of anglers to take up the sport and conserve the sport and enjoy the love of fishing. I also think what would really boost the fisheries and keep other species (mainly the predators very healthy) would be a massive replenishment of perch, Calling Lake a prime example...would keep all the other species healthy plus would be able to have the odd shore lunch for us anglers as well. Just a thought. You have to admit that browns are such a beautiful fish and have adapted quite well to NA and didn't impact or collapse the fisheries in any negative manner...just saying...have a gooder SSYD :bad_boys_20::bad_boys_20:

catchandeat
04-04-2013, 10:11 AM
what do bass taste like?

bush junkie
04-04-2013, 10:13 AM
Bassbassbassbassbassbassbassbassbassbassbassbassba ssbassbassbassbassbassbassbassbassbassbassbassbass bassbassbassbassbassbassbass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

huntsfurfish
04-04-2013, 10:19 AM
Which one I would like stocked fish would depend on the reason(s) it needed stocking.

If the walleye or pike fishery had crashed I would choose them. However, choosing to stock a fishery that has good year classes is a waste of time and money.

Choosing walleye so you have more to eat would be a poor choice because of their growth rates are slower and other problems. The lake would end up fished out and in a collapsed state in no time. In this instance Trout are a better choice. Grow quick and cost is not to bad plus easy compared to walleye:).

Bass is not a choice, because it aint gonna happen.:) So that's why I voted for bass.

Sturgeon might be a good choice though.

Stally77
04-04-2013, 10:47 AM

That is why I go to sask. Less people to worry about. And not too worried about
gas bill I can go any where I choose. Just not worth a 4 or 5 hour drive for 1 Wallace. Not really hard up for cash. I'm not complaining about the tag system. Just saying. Sorry for putting you in a foul mood today. BTW nor crying either.

baptiste_moose
04-04-2013, 10:58 AM
Takes alot more then someone I don't know voiceing their opinion to upset this cowboy. No hard feeling on this end. I hope the same goes for you! And sorry to the AOP for the derail.

Flieguy
04-04-2013, 02:43 PM
I like rainbows, but I'm getting tired of the piddly little stocked 12" carbon copies everywhere! how about a few more trophy fisheries? maybe some for cutts and lakers too!

EZM
04-04-2013, 05:52 PM
Choice would have to be stocking or enhancement projects for native fish;

1) Cutts
2) Lakers
3) Sturgeon
4) Walleye

Pike, Whites, Burbs and Perch are not under as much pressure in most cases, so I wouldn't say any of these would be "money well spent".

If I HAD to pick a non native species - which I'm not a huge fan of this idea - I'd look at Kokanees, Muskies or Small Mouths

BeeGuy
04-04-2013, 08:41 PM
I like rainbows, but I'm getting tired of the piddly little stocked 12" carbon copies everywhere! how about a few more trophy fisheries? maybe some for cutts and lakers too!

There are lakes and rivers close to you where you can catch very good size, cutthroats, cutbows, and lake trout.

Just have to stop fishing the stocked ponds if you dont want to catch stocker trout.

BeeGuy
04-04-2013, 08:41 PM
btw, Bass tastes like chicken

BeeGuy
04-04-2013, 08:42 PM
I vote other.

I would like to see sturgeon stocked in some of our lakes.

Ghost res for starters.

Moosetalker
04-04-2013, 10:05 PM
I think we need more lakes.
And enhancements to the waters we have to promote fish holding capacity. man made structure etc.

Gotta spread out the slavering fish hungry hordes.

wind drift
04-04-2013, 10:46 PM
Saying 'bass' is like saying 'trout'. There is more than one species. At any rate, bass stocking isn't going to happen in Alberta, so it makes no sense to even consider them an option. You live in Alberta and want to catch bass...? Travel. That's why airplanes, highways and trailerable boats were invented. Geez.

fishin_guy
04-05-2013, 09:11 PM
After visiting the cottage on Lake of the Woods in northern Ontario I am privileged to have all species. In Manitoba and Ontario we have a beautiful walleye population. Just Google/Youtube Manitoba greenback fishing. I have traded my love of trout for walleye. Manitoba has a stocked trout program but unless they come from cold water the trout taste like crap. When fishing the cottage catching small mouth bass was a blast. Pound for pound they are the best fighting fish I have caught. We have pike out here that it isn't uncommon to land 40+ inches of northern pikes. My goal this year is to catch a Muskie. That is my fighting fish for this year.

338Bluff
04-06-2013, 12:14 AM
I chose other. We need to enhance our perch fisheries! Go and check out any accessible lake with perch in the winter. What do you see? Hordes!

The hairy unwashed masses want those little gold gems.

WillyOneStyle
04-06-2013, 12:17 AM
Nothing fights like a rainbow, in my opinion.

Fish along
04-06-2013, 11:02 AM
Rainbows ? Without a doubt ,

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
04-06-2013, 12:52 PM
What about musky . Stock some of them biggins around . Damn that be fun .

Albertafisher
04-06-2013, 07:08 PM
Keep it native, travel for different species.. If I had to choose though, I would say the extinct native population of channel cats.. It would be cool if they reappeared in the upper reaches of the Saskatchewan river basin.

lotw
04-08-2013, 08:46 AM
anything except bass and crappie. There is not enough forage in alberta lakes to handle either species and other fish populations in any lake stocked with these two species will soon be destroyed. Bass are easy to catch becuse they are agressive. Walleyes and bass in small shallow lakes do not co exist very well. The bass very quickly take over. As they compete for food the bass will push larger walleyes out of the areas with food and eat the smaller ones that are under 5 inches. After a small mouth hits 5 inches the average hammerhandle in AB cant catch one to eat it and will be driven out of the areas with food. After 12 inces even the larger pike will look for other food sources. The lakes that can sustain a bass and walleye population are lakes that have an overabundance of forage so the walleyes have something to eat when the bass push them out of the prime locations. Lakes that when you are fishing you hook creyfish on the bottom and see minnows jupinng on the surface all day long. Crappies are a bit different. They reproduce fast and after 2 years are mass consumers of all forage including sportfish fry. Large schools of crappies cruze through shallow spawing areas and consume EVERYTHING. Recently hatched walleye and pike are their favourites. They are not native fish keep them out.

Okotokian
04-08-2013, 09:35 AM
I'd be happy with any native species. Sorry, no bass. Experimentation not necessary.

pickrel pat
04-08-2013, 09:41 AM
anything except bass and crappie. There is not enough forage in alberta lakes to handle either species and other fish populations in any lake stocked with these two species will soon be destroyed. Bass are easy to catch becuse they are agressive. Walleyes and bass in small shallow lakes do not co exist very well. The bass very quickly take over. As they compete for food the bass will push larger walleyes out of the areas with food and eat the smaller ones that are under 5 inches. After a small mouth hits 5 inches the average hammerhandle in AB cant catch one to eat it and will be driven out of the areas with food. After 12 inces even the larger pike will look for other food sources. The lakes that can sustain a bass and walleye population are lakes that have an overabundance of forage so the walleyes have something to eat when the bass push them out of the prime locations. Lakes that when you are fishing you hook creyfish on the bottom and see minnows jupinng on the surface all day long. Crappies are a bit different. They reproduce fast and after 2 years are mass consumers of all forage including sportfish fry. Large schools of crappies cruze through shallow spawing areas and consume EVERYTHING. Recently hatched walleye and pike are their favourites. They are not native fish keep them out.

Agreed

Fishnafterwork
04-08-2013, 09:41 AM
Buck lake and the red deer river below tolman both allow retention of walleye over 50cm.

I agree that there are not a ton of walleye spots close to home in Alberta
Buck lake- used to be a great harvest spot but in the last 3 years actually catching a "keeper" sized walleye has become very difficult .... Yet there is still millions of little guys in there so I don't think stocking would help

Eagle lake is fairly decent for harvest with a 3 fish limit but because of the nature of the lake most times of the year the fish are mushy muddy

Mcgregor lake- I have never been able to throw a hook into this lake and not catch a good size Wally .... I know it's desperately close to Calgary and sees crazy pressure but I feel a walleye harvest should be opened here

All in all I think walleye are a different beast and due in part to thier low egg to maturity mortality rate I don't think stocking would b the awnser.... Maybe better conservation??

But I do think it would b cool to have a local pond with warmer water pan fish stocked.... Something aerated and deep for these fish that require higher temps.... Pumpkin seed?... Crappie?....sunfish?.... Bluegills?... Would b great fun for kids and adults and a harvest could b in place as well & if the bucket brigade came by these fish shouldn't survive in our local waters.... Just a though...

pickrel pat
04-08-2013, 09:47 AM
Fishimafterwork... Why do you say they wont survive in our waters? Minnisota gets cold.

huntsfurfish
04-08-2013, 09:59 AM
I agree that there are not a ton of walleye spots close to home in Alberta
Buck lake- used to be a great harvest spot but in the last 3 years actually catching a "keeper" sized walleye has become very difficult .... Yet there is still millions of little guys in there so I don't think stocking would help

Eagle lake is fairly decent for harvest with a 3 fish limit but because of the nature of the lake most times of the year the fish are mushy muddy

Mcgregor lake- I have never been able to throw a hook into this lake and not catch a good size Wally .... I know it's desperately close to Calgary and sees crazy pressure but I feel a walleye harvest should be opened here

All in all I think walleye are a different beast and due in part to thier low egg to maturity mortality rate I don't think stocking would b the awnser.... Maybe better conservation??

But I do think it would b cool to have a local pond with warmer water pan fish stocked.... Something aerated and deep for these fish that require higher temps.... Pumpkin seed?... Crappie?....sunfish?.... Bluegills?... Would b great fun for kids and adults and a harvest could b in place as well & if the bucket brigade came by these fish shouldn't survive in our local waters.... Just a though...

Perch would work in that instance, no need to import more species.

Fishnafterwork
04-08-2013, 02:27 PM
Perch would work in that instance, no need to import more species.

Ya I'd b all for that.... & I didn't mean to state these fish wouldn't survive elsewhere but yes on second thought not worth the risk ....

Food for thought ..... What about adding artificial reef to an existing lake to improve the habitat and ecosystem rather than just dumping more and more fry every year

Okotokian
04-08-2013, 02:30 PM
I'd be happy with any native species. Sorry, no bass. Experimentation not necessary.
OOOPS, changed my mind. Bonefish in Frank Lake. :) Winter might be a little tough for them, but.... Just got back from flats fishing. I'm hooked. LOL

dragon
04-09-2013, 07:29 AM
I think we should consider Catfish. My kid saw that "hillbilly handfishin" show and ever since he has wanted to catch one.

And really... we already have the hill billy's... just need the rest!

travrgtr
04-10-2013, 09:43 AM
i voted other as i would like to see all natural speices, bulls, cutties, pike, walters perch and such recive stockings of new breeding stocks ie burnstick perch in sylvan,gull perch in burnstick. Wabum pike in pine. Just me thinking out loud.

agreed!