PDA

View Full Version : Touchwood Lake, when will that open up for a tag system?

keep6matt
04-04-2013, 10:23 AM
Just throwing it out there about Touchwood Lake, a lake I used to frequent quite a bit when I was in my school years and went there every summer with the family. F&W has that lake shut down for so long now, 20 years?? Due to the large size of it, it has to be quite populated now with very large fish, will a tag system ever be put into place there....your thoughts? It would be nice to have the odd shore lunch while camping as it seems walleye for the pan once in a while will be a thing of the past by looking at the newest regulations and I ain't talking about throwing a 12 lb wally in the pan either LOL. I believe the tag system is a great way to manage the walleye population (look at Pigeon Lake for instance, the fish look healthy again there, finally!) They should incorporate the tag system with large pike too to keep more large ones alive rather than the keep one at 63+ cms. Again just wondering everyone's thoughts on this lake and why they still won't open it up.

wellpastcold
04-04-2013, 11:04 AM
The walleye in Touchwood are far too healthy for harvest. The geniuses in Edmonton F&W head office prefer to wait until the forage base is decimated, the fish are emaciated and 40% of their body is head before allowing a limited harvest. See previous template, Calling, Pigeon etc. Touchwood and Lac La Biche should both be open to LIMITED harvest. Beaver lake should have been closed a couple years ago. Sorry to be so negative however the proof is in the pudding, always 2 to 3 years too late. Sad but true.

keep6matt
04-04-2013, 11:44 AM
The walleye in Touchwood are far too healthy for harvest. The geniuses in Edmonton F&W head office prefer to wait until the forage base is decimated, the fish are emaciated and 40% of their body is head before allowing a limited harvest. See previous template, Calling, Pigeon etc. Touchwood and Lac La Biche should both be open to LIMITED harvest. Beaver lake should have been closed a couple years ago. Sorry to be so negative however the proof is in the pudding, always 2 to 3 years too late. Sad but true.

I 100% agree with you about the forage and seen for myself regarding Pigeon and Calling collapsing due to improper food sources and an over abundant of walleye population so please don't apologize, I am with you all the way on that. Wish that F&W would see the obvious as well as us anglers see it. Cheers!

baptiste_moose
04-04-2013, 12:14 PM
Your asking the wrong people!!

keep6matt
04-04-2013, 12:41 PM
Your asking the wrong people!!

yes i know, just was throwing it out there thats all.

blackonblackfx4
04-04-2013, 01:46 PM

blackonblackfx4
04-04-2013, 01:47 PM
And how about some trout re-stocking into the lake so it can have a tag system for them too.

I'd be willing to petition, and get my arms dirty helping make this happen.

cube
04-05-2013, 09:39 AM

Last test netting on touchwood was 8 or 9 years ago (2004) So it does not look like they will be opening it any time soon unfortunately. The netting data at the time looked like it could have probably gone to a limited tag system then with a CUE of about 13.9, many year classes present and only a moderate growth rate.

I totally agree that the “ASRD Walleye Management and Recovery Plan (WMRP) (Berry 1995)” should have been tweaked my times in the last 18 years instead of being blindly followed with unknown results. Certainly now we know what a number of the results are and could have/ should have made changes along the way.

sneekie
04-05-2013, 08:53 PM
i think it is not opened due to the squares hooks from a certain group that hit the lake hard..just what i heard and don't know if there is any truth to it

skidderman
04-05-2013, 09:50 PM
Was travelling by skidoo, not fishing there about a month ago. There were at least two if not more very long nets. I wouldn't hold out much hope.

Penner
04-06-2013, 06:55 AM
i think it is not opened due to the squares hooks from a certain group that hit the lake hard..just what i heard and don't know if there is any truth to it

Bingo!

burbotman
04-06-2013, 09:29 AM
I have been fishing Touchwood for the past 30 years. IMO one of the "victims" of the walleye management plan in Touchwood are the pike. While the walleye are large and in great shape, legal pike are less fortunate. My observations have been that "any" legal pike caught bears the brunt of harvest.

From my perspective the pike fishing has declined as the walleye fishing has improved

Agreed it is time to revisit the direction walleye management is going.

Walleye101
04-06-2013, 10:39 AM
The net's are set in deep water for very large whitefish. It is very uncommon to catch a Walleye in these nets.

Penner
04-06-2013, 11:50 AM
I have been fishing Touchwood for the past 30 years. IMO one of the "victims" of the walleye management plan in Touchwood are the pike. While the walleye are large and in great shape, legal pike are less fortunate. My observations have been that "any" legal pike caught bears the brunt of harvest.

From my perspective they pike fishing has declined as the walleye fishing has improved

Agreed it is time to revisit the direction walleye management is going.

The key is if a lake is shut down for one species you have to shut it down for all inorder to maintain a natural balance. You also need to be aware of the other lakes in the near by area otherwise the keeping just moves from one water body to the next.

The net's are set in deep water for very large whitefish. It is very uncommon to catch a Walleye in these nets.

Seen what was close to a 100 Walleye lying on the ice with my own eyes last winter from a sustenance net along with a few Pike and a pile of Whitefish. Was also asked if I wanted to buy some. Could have not been bigger than a 3" gill net.

I’ll I could do was to shake my head.

Walleye101
04-06-2013, 05:23 PM
That's a real tragedy. Did you call a C/O?

burbotman
04-06-2013, 06:00 PM

Much of the netting there is sustinance

Penner
04-07-2013, 06:57 AM

Indeed I did. CO called me later that afternoon after investigating and explained that they we treaty and they were sustenance fishing. The group also denied that they offered to sell me fish. Nothing he could do about it. Won't discourage me from phoning again tho.

This sustenance fishing is more common than one might think. From personal observations this fishing occurs frequently on Winefred, Beaver, Wabasca, and Cold Lake. I’ve also seen it on Pinehurst and Marie on occasion. I’m sure there are many others.

linger
04-07-2013, 08:52 AM
i don't think you pull out hundreds of pounds of fish for subtanence just M.O:thinking-006:

blackonblackfx4
04-07-2013, 09:48 AM
i don't think you pull out hundreds of pounds of fish for subtanence just M.O:thinking-006:

:snapoutofit:

Lets add Lac La Biche lake to the list. Restocked with walleye paid by fishing licenses and grants. Has been netted so hard in the few spots walleye live on that lake their not opening it for even tags and that population is way down already. Pretty sad.

unclebuck
04-07-2013, 05:44 PM

Ever watch the "subsistence" fishermen pulling nets on Lac La Biche, Touchwood, Pinehurst, Siebert, Spencer, or Beaver? I have. Most of these "sub" fishermen are rather well heeled individuals who not too many years ago were ashamed to be called metis or indian. Since they now have all of the government bestowed rights, they abuse the system to the nth degree and flagrantly flaunt these bestowed privileges, at our expense!!

keep6matt
04-08-2013, 10:20 AM
Netting should be 100% banned from every Alberta water system, no wonder our fisheries are in terrible shape, I don't care if you are white. Metis, Treaty or from Mars, netting is complete bullsh*t!!!

Penner
04-08-2013, 12:21 PM
Netting should be 100% banned from every Alberta water system, no wonder our fisheries are in terrible shape, I don't care if you are white. Metis, Treaty or from Mars, netting is complete bullsh*t!!!

If the netting was for TRUE subsistence, I personally would not get so bent out of shape about it. But much of the subsistence netting/fishing I’ve observed has been anything but. The utilization of power augers, snowmobiles/quads, motorized aluminum boats, vehicles, modern fishing gear, GPS, etc. The fact (as mention by another member) that most of the folks are “well-heeled individuals” and that on 2 separate occasions I’ve was asked if I might be interested in buying some fish, and on 1 occasions a subsistence net was left abandoned in a lake completely chalk full of fish to where the fish had already begun to rot is…….bu!!sh!t.

I believe that netting (commercial or subsistence) does serve a purpose such as in those lakes that are susceptible to frequent summer / winter kills or when it is for TRUE subsistence purposes to where the said water body and fish population therein is healthy enough to support subsistence harvesting. Other than that, we should all have to follow and adhere to the same set of friggen rules.

keep6matt
04-08-2013, 12:25 PM
.... and on 1 occasions a subsistence net was left abandoned in a lake completely chalk full of fish where the fish had already begun to rot is…….bu!!sh!t.

I believe that netting (commercial or subsistence) does serve a purpose such as in those lakes that are susceptible to frequent summer / winter kills or when it is for TRUE subsistence purposes to where the said water body and fish population therein is healthy enough to support subsistence harvesting. Other than that, we should all have to follow and adhere to the same set of friggen rules.

On several occasions I have seen the nets abandoned and full of rotting fish, on e of many reasons why netting just makes me furious!!! Thank you for the great post Penner!

crf250xtom
04-08-2013, 12:46 PM

Don't get your panties in a bunch truth is you complain about here and then do nothing so until you actually DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT IMHO you shouldn't be able to complain.

keep6matt
04-08-2013, 12:50 PM
don't get your panties in a bunch truth is you complain about here and then do nothing so until you actually do something about it imho you shouldn't be able to complain.

what is your problem tom??? Why do you complain and moan about everything on here??? Every single post i see of yours is negative, shut your mouth if you have nothing good to say!!! Besides I am asking for opinions on it and I stated in bold letters that it was my opinion unless you are too blind to see that. You are one miserable person!

crf250xtom
04-08-2013, 12:53 PM
what is your problem tom??? Why do you complain and moan about everything on here??? Every single post i see of yours is negative, shut your mouth if you have nothing good to say!!!

No im just telling it how it is you keep bringing up controversial topics that have been beat to death. What is your problem your looking for these responses so I'm giving them to you no need to lie.

keep6matt
04-08-2013, 12:55 PM
No im just telling it how it is you keep bringing up controversial topics that have been beat to death. What is your problem your looking for these responses so I'm giving them to you no need to lie.

You are one of the most miserable, strangest people I have ever seen Tom. Unbelievable!!! Lie? What did I lie about? What is with you dude?

crf250xtom
04-08-2013, 01:03 PM
You are one of the most miserable, strangest people I have ever seen Tom. Unbelievable!!! Lie? What did I lie about? What is with you dude?

Your complaining about my post correct, well I'm saying that you are looking for those responses then ccomplaining about them. Not calling you a liar just pointing out that your looking for those responses other wise you wouldn't bring up controversial topics, correct?

Think about it.

keep6matt
04-08-2013, 01:12 PM
Your complaining about my post correct, well I'm saying that you are looking for those responses then ccomplaining about them. Not calling you a liar just pointing out that your looking for those responses other wise you wouldn't bring up controversial topics, correct?

Think about it.

Ok Tom, just scroll back up and point out which post I complained about (other than your negative one) Listen friend, I didn't start this thread up to **** all over everyone's opinions, I just started for everyone's opinions, thats all. I didn't create this thread to argue with anyone or argue with you. I care about our fisheries and do see netting as a problem for decades especially when nets are forgotten about and I have seen it many times at Beaver Lake being a prime example. So please get your facts straight before calling me a liar then saying you didn't then writing stuff that makes no sense whatsoever. ALL I ASKED was for people's opinions not to start an argument here. I fill out surveys with fisheries, I email biologists in the fisheries about providing suggestions to better our lakes, I had many a lengthy conversations with F&W about this including an hour yesterday with Scott from F&W in Edson. So yes I try all I can do to better this precious resource of ours, do you? I see someone poaching I call them in. Gimme a break man.