PDA

View Full Version : River Fishing Near Calgary?

Drullexx
04-05-2013, 01:02 PM
Hi guys,

Myself and a few others have been out ice fishing recently. We went to Sibbald lake, Spray Lakes, Burnstick lake and Birch lake. We've caught nothing. Each location, we've had 6x lines in the water. Nothing.

As the weather is getting nicer, we were thinking we might have better luck trying the Bow. I've heard it's an excellent place for trout fishing.

Something close to the city. We have spent A LOT of money on gas, and while we're eager still, we don't want to continue breaking the bank, so to speak.

Can anyone recommend a place we can do some spin casting? I've seen with the regulations, there are certain parts of the Bow which are closed, have limits, etc.. but I'm terrible with maps. Would someone be so kind as to Google map something?

Please. We're desperate.

Thank you!!

fishpro
04-05-2013, 01:15 PM
Anywhere on the Bow River in Fish Creek Park will be good, just look for the deeper slower water adjacent to faster water. Just remember that no bait is allowed (that includes anything scented).

Drullexx
04-05-2013, 01:18 PM
Are the fish safe to eat from that part of the Bow?

bowness
04-05-2013, 01:22 PM
To start Sibbald lake (not Sibbald Meadows pond) winterkills so you were fishing a dead lake. Not productive for catching.:scared:

Drullexx
04-05-2013, 01:23 PM
To start Sibbald lake (not Sibbald Meadows pond) winterkills so you were fishing a dead lake. Not productive for catching.:scared:

We figured that out after the fact :) Still had a good day out at least.

fishpro
04-05-2013, 01:23 PM
Are the fish safe to eat from that part of the Bow?

There are no advisories in the regulations, however keep in mind that you are downstream from the treated water release for a city of over a million people. In that stretch you are only allowed to keep one trout UNDER 35cm, and most fish you catch will be over.

I get the impression you are new to fishing in the area, and I don't know if you're new overall, so I'd recommend reading over this post I made a few years ago for how to handle the fish you catch - http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=60612

Good luck!

Drullexx
04-05-2013, 01:27 PM
There are no advisories in the regulations, however keep in mind that you are downstream from the treated water release for a city of over a million people.

Is there a part of the Bow you might recommend that is upstream of the city, but not too far?

- thanks for the link btw! Totally a newbie. I'll share that with my friends.

Hotwheels81
04-05-2013, 01:32 PM
2 of my favorite spots when I lived in Calgary were Carburn park ponds in riverbend for northern pike and on the down stream side of the wier just north of 17th on deer foot...

Not sure if they still stock the pike in Carburn park but when I fished it there were lots of 18-24" fish and they responded well to bass rigs with lots of tails and spinners...

To get to the backside of the weir on deerfoot you take a short walk thru the hatchery park and watch the river for calm pools, gold or silver 4" spoons had decent results with more then a few 26-28" brown trout being pulled out...

I also fished south of the Ogden rd rail bridge but never had good luck there.

Drullexx
04-05-2013, 01:38 PM
I suppose I should have mentioned it.. we're absolutely looking to catch and eat some fish.

Hotwheels81
04-05-2013, 01:38 PM
Weir location

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp198/Hotwheels81/C909F79C-E31F-4458-B7E9-3DCE036513FE-4347-000006B0BF12FDCE.jpg

Carburn Park ponds

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp198/Hotwheels81/2F35ABAC-B0BA-47C3-90A4-6275B46EB84F-4347-000006B0C7B72967.jpg

ericlin0122
04-05-2013, 01:43 PM
trust me, you dont wanna eat any pike from carburn park. if you see how the water looks like you will know.

Scott N
04-05-2013, 01:46 PM
I suppose I should have mentioned it.. we're absolutely looking to catch and eat some fish.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but the Bow River is a hard river to learn how to fish if you're new to it. While it's possible to have a good day if you're not sure exactly what you're doing, be prepared to get skunked again.

Drullexx
04-05-2013, 01:48 PM
I'm not trying to discourage you, but the Bow River is a hard river to learn how to fish if you're new to it. While it's possible to have a good day if you're not sure exactly what you're doing, be prepared to get skunked again.

We're getting pretty good at leaving empty handed, so while that would suck, it's all a learning experience if nothing else :)

Are there any other rivers nearby that might work out more in our newbish favour?

Scott N
04-05-2013, 01:54 PM
We're getting pretty good at leaving empty handed, so while that would suck, it's all a learning experience if nothing else :)

Are there any other rivers nearby that might work out more in our newbish favour?

I think most of the rivers around Calgary are closed right now, with the parts of the Bow and perhaps a few others being exceptions.

fishpro
04-05-2013, 01:54 PM

This time of the year there isn't much, most are closed still. As the lakes open up you should be able to have some success in some of them. You could try pike fishing in either Glenmore or Chestermere (although Chestermere doesn't have a ton of fish over the legal limit). Another good option for lots of small trout is Chain Lakes Reservoir. Lakes often have higher catch limits as well.

Drullexx
04-05-2013, 02:09 PM
Glenmore? Like, the area within Calgary or is there a Glenmore body of water/river?

Thanks!!

fishpro
04-05-2013, 02:13 PM
Glenmore? Like, the area within Calgary or is there a Glenmore body of water/river?

Thanks!!

Glenmore Reservoir, in Calgary.

Drullexx
04-05-2013, 02:15 PM
Glenmore Reservoir, in Calgary.

I have not been there in quite some time. Is it fishable without a boat? It's not iced over?

ty again

fishpro
04-05-2013, 02:34 PM
I have not been there in quite some time. Is it fishable without a boat? It's not iced over?

ty again

You can fish it without a boat. Don't know about ice conditions, make sure to check the regulations.

Drullexx
04-05-2013, 02:39 PM
You can fish it without a boat. Don't know about ice conditions, make sure to check the regulations.

Checked, closed until end of April.

It's looking like the Bow is really the best choice for what we're looking for, this time of year.

Thanks for the help

billie
04-05-2013, 02:48 PM
If you want to catch some smaller fish from the Bow to keep and eat (1 under 35cm each person, but confirm regs for where you go) try staying with smaller spinners, mepps or panther martens. Brass with a bit of red work pretty good in 1/4 oz. Try to fish the seams where different water speeds meet, and where rapid water enters a slower pool.

GL, the Bow can be a tough mistress :(.

Drullexx
04-05-2013, 02:53 PM
What about the area between Cochrane and Calgary? Google map: http://goo.gl/maps/vyqjM

I'm not entirely sure what portion of the river that is, to check with regulations.

http://albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/es1.html

I do see here that it says it's open - http://www.albertafishingguide.com/location/water/all/bow-river-near-seebe#regulations - but this isn't official.

billie
04-05-2013, 03:16 PM
Closed from Bearspaw to the WID weir (see post #10). Trout limit 0 above bearspaw to Ghost.

Try downstream of the weir with the hardware mentioned. There are no consumption advisories but the decision to eat them must be yours. I would, but I don't like trout much. Maybe a few high country brookies :).

jacenbeers
04-05-2013, 05:28 PM
If you eat something out of the Bow below Bearspaw, you will be wasting a good fish. I made the mistake of eating one even as far down as Carseland and it tasted horrible. I would rather eat toilet paper, which is pretty much what you get when you eat a Bow River trout.

Tyber
04-05-2013, 09:03 PM
Take deerfoot south to 130th ave west bound. follow that straight to the end and park where you can. take the pathway towards the river (due west) and then drop down the steep bank. this will put you on the deep side of a nice big bend in the river. Use Rapala CD-7 rainbow or brook pattern cast upstream wait about 20 seconds and start the retrieve. been there many times, only skunked a few.

Drullexx
04-05-2013, 09:52 PM
Take deerfoot south to 130th ave west bound. follow that straight to the end and park where you can. take the pathway towards the river (due west) and then drop down the steep bank. this will put you on the deep side of a nice big bend in the river. Use Rapala CD-7 rainbow or brook pattern cast upstream wait about 20 seconds and start the retrieve. been there many times, only skunked a few.

Oh cool. Thanks. Would you be able to pin point it on Google maps for me?

BeeGuy
04-05-2013, 10:01 PM
Oh cool. Thanks. Would you be able to pin point it on Google maps for me?

are you a minor?

Drullexx
04-05-2013, 10:03 PM
lol no, I just suck with directions. I've never had a drivers license. I'll find it, just takes me a little while longer :)

Hoping it's open. Need some fish!

BeeGuy
04-05-2013, 10:04 PM
If you want to eat fish, you are wasting your time on the Bow.

Drullexx
04-05-2013, 10:08 PM
Well, we do have ice fishing gear, but with the ice thawing, we would like to try actual casting. The Bow seems like the only place that isn't too far from Calgary, and is open for fishing.

If anyone has any suggestions.. please do :)

BeeGuy
04-05-2013, 10:11 PM
Gonna be chilly tomorrow, but you can definitely catch fish in the bow.

The Bow just isnt a place that is very harvest friendly.

Drullexx
04-05-2013, 10:15 PM
After going out 3 times now and not getting so much as a bite, even if we caught a couple tiny throw-back fish, that would be awesome.

rycoma
04-06-2013, 12:54 AM
in calgary you won't catch any small throw back fish. I have fished it for over ten years and the smallest one I trout hooked was 16 inches. This time of year you'll get some big boys if you get in the right places. Good luck

Fishnafterwork
04-06-2013, 01:14 AM
From what u have said this is what I would suggest..... Yes go to the bow... Work on the rust... Practice the cast... Probably catch some trout to be proud of ... But leave the idea of a harvest for another day another place ... Trust me you'll have a great time unless u plan on being fed from the river.....it's not a bunny hugging thing or a pitch to save the river it's more like u are not likely to catch a fish small enough to be legal size let alone ( as jacenbeers stated) choke down that huge tiny trout

epicangler
08-01-2013, 11:44 PM
If you want to eat fish, you are wasting your time on the Bow.

is it really that dirty???

BeeGuy
08-02-2013, 03:24 AM
is it really that dirty???

1. The reg's for the Bow are not harvest friendly.

2. I tried a couple whitefish from the Bow before and they were soft and fishy.

I'm not too worried about whether or not the fish are 'dirty' or contaminated with mercury, I just want them to taste good.

Maybe if you put enough spices on them you can choke them down.