PDA

View Full Version : cardiff park pond on the golf course

HuyFishin
04-06-2013, 12:57 PM
Just wondering if I was able to ice fish on cardiff pond tomorrow, since it was on golf course property. And if the ice is good enough to walk on even

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
04-06-2013, 01:02 PM
Just wondering if I was able to ice fish on cardiff pond tomorrow, since it was on golf course property. And if the ice is good enough to walk on even

Sure you are as you can fish Morinville reservoir also . Just make sure you know your ice thickness .

HuyFishin
04-06-2013, 03:45 PM
Sure you are as you can fish Morinville reservoir also . Just make sure you know your ice thickness .

Hey thanks for info BBJ, my first time in the area, which place would have better trout and perch fishing? morinville reservoir or cardiff pond?

04-06-2013, 04:32 PM
Hey thanks for info BBJ, my first time in the area, which place would have better trout and perch fishing? morinville reservoir or cardiff pond?

Well Cardiff is deep and less likely hat the fish will,winter kill and there's some huge trout in there but there's some nice ones at the resivours to I'd fish both one in morning he other later on . But gain no idea what the ice situation is like . When the lakes are closed and river high and puking ice chunks and trees I fish both some nice fish in both .

waterninja
04-06-2013, 06:11 PM
i've always enjoyed fishing cardiff but it is a little walk dragging your gear onto the ice. i'm betting that the ice is 2 feet thick. if you do get out good luck and please post an ice condition report.

HuyFishin
04-08-2013, 09:32 AM
so i went to cardiff yesterday drilled a hole and it smelled like rotten eggs, the water color was NASTY, winterkilled!

Drove all the way to pigeon lake to recieve one speeding ticket and to only catch one pike:sHa_sarcasticlol:

waterninja
04-08-2013, 10:07 AM
what a bummer. sorry to hear about the ticket. thats a long drive and quite a change in gear from cardiff to pigeon. surprized you didn't hit mornville since you were so close.

at least you didn't get skunked.

Red Neck
04-08-2013, 10:30 AM
I think there are going to have a few skunky smelling lakes this spring:confused: But to ticket a guy on a spring fishing fix?? come on thats cold:sick:

Red Neck Out:scared0018:

HuyFishin
04-08-2013, 11:58 AM
yea, it was getting late and i wanted to get some good catches so i rushed it, lol ran to the store to grab a change in bait (literally running)

tried to get to the lake as quick as i can to get set up and buy time before it got cold and dark, i was taking someone ice fishing (first timer)

so i wanted to make sure he was gonna catch something and have a good time:sHa_shakeshout:

04-08-2013, 12:17 PM
There is no way Cardiff would winter kill that pond is over 150 feet in many places , its a flooded coal mine . That's the smell you smell .

HuyFishin
04-08-2013, 12:21 PM
There is no way Cardiff would winter kill that pond is over 150 feet in many places , its a flooded coal mine . That's the smell you smell .

PLEASE dont tell me i drove all the way to pigeon for nothing lol
i just assumed its winterkill, becouse of the strong odour and dirty water color, we only fished 4 rods in there for about 20 minutes and gave up lol

04-08-2013, 12:25 PM
PLEASE dont tell me i drove all the way to pigeon for nothing lol
i just assumed its winterkill, becouse of the strong odour and dirty water color, we only fished 4 rods in there for about 20 minutes and gave up lol

Between rotting vegetation and the sulfer in coal its going to stink , it always has and always will . You made a trip to pigeon and supported a cops salary for nothing .

Cardiff is an old Coal mine and the shaft collaped partly and they flooded it . Theres some big rainbows in there to boot . I used to ice fish there early in the season back in the day when I did a lot of Ice fishing .

crf250xtom
04-08-2013, 12:35 PM
Between rotting vegetation and the sulfer in coal its going to stink , it always has and always will . You made a trip to pigeon and supported a cops salary for nothing .

Cardiff is an old Coal mine and the shaft collaped partly and they flooded it . Theres some big rainbows in there to boot . I used to ice fish there early in the season back in the day when I did a lot of Ice fishing .

There used to be big fish in there until everyone took them now every winter not a Damn thing until they stock it in spring then the locals hustle them all out and I don't say I'm wrong cause I'm not its sad really.

You made the right decision in leaving early cause that lake is only good when they stock it till all the fish are gone mid summer usually.

04-08-2013, 03:54 PM
There used to be big fish in there until everyone took them now every winter not a Damn thing until they stock it in spring then the locals hustle them all out and I don't say I'm wrong cause I'm not its sad really.

You made the right decision in leaving early cause that lake is only good when they stock it till all the fish are gone mid summer usually.

That's not true my neinborgh was there recently and his grand boy and him were catching them , largest 19 inches .

crf250xtom
04-08-2013, 05:59 PM
That's not true my neinborgh was there recently and his grand boy and him were catching them , largest 19 inches .

Thats nothing compared to what they used to be and plus pics or it didn't happen.

HunterDave
04-08-2013, 06:34 PM

Baloney. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

04-08-2013, 07:56 PM
Thats nothing compared to what they used to be and plus pics or it didn't happen.

I guess you don't gotta believe me , I think that pics orit didn't happen bs is getting way old . But you keep your opinion but don't bs other people with your own honey hole .

Wood1
04-09-2013, 06:55 PM
I like fishing Cardiff. It's a good place to take kids and most of the lake is easily accessible. I agree that ice fishing is fairly tough there vs summer. I don't believe it winter kills or gets completely fished out. The smell is likely rotting vegetation and localized. Not sure I'm completely comfortable with eating fish from Cardiff. After the coal mine closures it was used as a disposal site for both municipal and industrial waste. Fifteen or more years of dumping in open water ponds. There was a reclamation over thirty years ago but it was a dump. C&R for this little black duck.

moonyrat
04-11-2013, 01:06 PM
can you eat the fish from there with all the sulfur smile etc @@

trooper
04-11-2013, 07:04 PM
I would fish the east end of the Morinville reservoir. I have caught a couple of 17" rainbow from that small lake and seem to get lucky every time I get out there.:sHa_shakeshout:

Paul C
04-11-2013, 09:47 PM
I would fish the east end of the Morinville reservoir. I have caught a couple of 17" rainbow from that small lake and seem to get lucky every time I get out there.:sHa_shakeshout:
X2 There is the odd oinker of rainbows roaming the deep side.