PDA

View Full Version : Deer mortality...any signs?

wind drift
04-07-2013, 10:24 AM
This persistent snow cover could be hard on deer. Is anyone seeing signs of die offs yet? What and where?

catnthehat
04-07-2013, 10:28 AM
Saw a very interesting thing on the way back from Edmonton a few weeks ago.
A dead deer, right beside a fence on the side of the road.
It wasn't a case of being didn't get hit and make it over the fence however, it was coming towards the road, and it almost looks like it got hung up, but it wasn't.
Pretty deep snow there.
I would have stopped and investigated , but I had the wife with me , and she was still very sick so I didn't want to waste time getting here back home.
Cat

Grizzly Adams
04-07-2013, 10:32 AM
All the ones I've seen look sleek and healthy. Always some feed source in ag country that they can access.

Grizz

Badgerbadger
04-07-2013, 10:32 AM
Ya. One in front of my car this morning.

Don't worry. Her 4 buddies were untouched.

And it's only cosmetic damage to my car, near as I can tell.

Redfrog
04-07-2013, 10:33 AM
Found some YOY dead in my hay yard.

dale7637
04-07-2013, 10:36 AM
We have seen some dead young ones this year. Same as redfrog, dead right around the hay stack.

Mohr74
04-07-2013, 10:52 AM
Have seen a pile of dead deer around home again this year, but not as many as two winters ago. Coyotes have killed a pile also, snow conditions tilted the game in their favor big time. Still lots around they'll rebound...

Nait Hadya
04-07-2013, 11:05 AM
Observed a herd of over one hundred in a farmers back yard. the area was snow free and there was probably a bit of supplemental feed placed on one of the hills. the coyotes were right there watching them and i suspect when they go back into the bush, the coyotes are preying on them easily with the help of deep crusted snow.

pikeslayer22
04-07-2013, 01:09 PM
Lots of coyote kills out this way!

Whiskey Wish
04-07-2013, 02:13 PM
63 head of deer eating my hay two winters ago. Approx 18 this year. Have been plagued by moose damaging my apple trees every winter for years now. Not a single one in my yard this winter since they last raided my yard in October/12

On the other hand I have about 20 head of elk eating with my horses this winter. I believe that the wolves that showed up last fall took care of the deer population and the moose and pushed the elk into my property where they traditionally have not wintered.

The snow here is REALLY deep.
Regards,
Dave.

Alberta Bigbore
04-07-2013, 02:24 PM
Im seeing ALOT of moose this year.. not as much during the hunting season but still alot. Seeing alot of deer around the Henday...and also out on a strathcona farm I hunt on. And he has alot of deep crusted snow.

Im thinking they will be ok. Maybe not as crazy populated as last season though.

Redfrog
04-07-2013, 03:39 PM
This is the first year I've had them in my hay bales. By the time they move in the YOY are not doing great and it takes a while for the bacteria to develop in the gut to process the alfalfa instead of browse. By then they are starving to death.

Lots of coyotes around but a real pain to try to recover them in the deep snow when you kill them.

Neals
04-07-2013, 04:30 PM
Deer have started raiding our birdfeeders but look to be in good shape. Couple moose around and they look better than last spring. Not as many tracks along the road as sometimes. Not sure if its less critters or just not moving as much. Don't hear many coyotes here. I have not been out in the bush.