PDA

View Full Version : Whites are in the smoker!

Wes_G
04-07-2013, 12:52 PM
Should take about 5 hours. I dont have a ton of experience smoking fish, I am on chip pan #1... how many should I use?

Piker
04-07-2013, 01:59 PM
I used trial and error until I found the right amount of smoke time. One pan should not be too much but as I said it depends on how much you like the smoke taste. Piker

Alberta Bigbore
04-07-2013, 02:04 PM
Pics? lol

Wes_G
04-07-2013, 05:19 PM
sorry, no camera with me. I ended up doing 3 pans this time. Last time I did 5 and hey were really smokey!

huntin'fool
04-07-2013, 08:17 PM
3 pans sounds fine. I will usually give fish about 1.5-2 hours smoke after they've been in for about 90 minutes at 110.

Wes_G
04-07-2013, 10:04 PM
So you dont put any chips in at all to start then, just after 90 minutes?

jacenbeers
04-07-2013, 10:08 PM
I need to get myself a working electric smoker. I wish it was a matter of just timing it and replacing chips. Mine is so crappy to try and keep hot. I hope your whities turned out nice. They are so good smoked.

buckbrushoutdoors
04-08-2013, 09:46 AM
Anyone ever tried smoking pike? Ive got a ton in the freezer and a brand new bradley smoker I want to try out

Fish along
04-08-2013, 02:22 PM
I never smoked pike before but you can be sure they would be good eating.as for pans of chips only 2 ,in early stages .

Wes_G
04-08-2013, 08:07 PM
I need to get myself a working electric smoker. I wish it was a matter of just timing it and replacing chips. Mine is so crappy to try and keep hot. I hope your whities turned out nice. They are so good smoked.

They turned out really good actually. I just have a big chief and put a blanket aorund it to keep the wind out and the heat in. Works pretty good. I ended up doing 3 pans of chips and smoked for about 4.5 hours for 8 fillets.

Gust
04-08-2013, 08:26 PM
They turned out really good actually. I just have a big chief and put a blanket aorund it to keep the wind out and the heat in. Works pretty good. I ended up doing 3 pans of chips and smoked for about 4.5 hours for 8 fillets.

Duct insulation is good too.

Make sure you have some smoke leaving the smoker or you'll get a tarry taste more often,, don't suffocate your fish with smoke. you'll get it right with practice.

another tip is to put your fish into paper or brown lunch bags and then let sit in a cool place, then your fridge for a few days. Trust me on this and do a taste test; eat two fish a few hours after you've smoked them and then two more from the same batch 4 to five days later after they've been papered. It's kinda like how leftovers taste better the next day, or letting a roast rest from the oven or letting a fine wine breathe,

omega50
04-09-2013, 07:46 AM
General rule of thumb for me is 1/3 of total cook time is with smoke when hot smoking.
Much more with cold smoking.

Wes_G
04-09-2013, 08:29 PM
How long does smoked fish last in the fridge? And can you freeze it after smoking or will it not be as good after being thawed?

Gust
04-09-2013, 08:30 PM
How long does smoked fish last in the fridge? And can you freeze it after smoking or will it not be as good after being thawed?

It's physically impossible to resist the temptation to freeze smoked fish.

Good Luck.

huntin'fool
04-09-2013, 09:18 PM
So you dont put any chips in at all to start then, just after 90 minutes?

Wes,
One of the most important things about smoking any meat/fish product is to have it adequately dried prior to applying the smoke. I've tried fish once with out allowing to dry properly first, and found it had a slightly over smokey/rancid taste and seemed to be too dry.
The only exception is when smoking whole meats such as whole venison roasts treated with a pickle pump - those you can smoke the crap out of...in my experience.

Fish especially need proper drying. Once removed from the brine, it is advisable to let the fillets or fish portions sit for 2-3 hours or even longer to develop a "pellicle". This dry, tacky surface prevents over-drying of the inside of the product and prevents the fats from escaping the fish - creating unsightly boogers.

BuckBrush,
Your pike will be fine, smoke away. The only thing I would advise against is if there is no skin on. If you smoke with no skin on, it will be quite dry. HOWEVER, this slightly over dried white smoked fish flesh makes the absolute best smoked fish dip....cream cheese, smoked fish, bit of lemon, OH GAWD!!!

In my experience, freezing salmon, trout, and lake whites after being smoked has only increased the palatability. Sounds strange, but rings true every time I try it. Take some out of the freezer and find myself saying "DAYUM, that's good!"

Gust
04-09-2013, 09:25 PM
OH GAWD!!!
In my experience, freezing salmon, trout, and lake whites after being smoked has only increased the palatability. Sounds strange, but rings true every time I try it. Take some out of the freezer and find myself saying "DAYUM, that's good!"

Huntinfool,,, firstly; with a name like huntinfool accompanied by a great avatar pic like you have "OH GAWD" reads wrong,, "HOT DANG" or "BOOYAH" but definitely not "OH GAWD" a very un-hunter expletive.

As for freezing, I will give it a try, if I can hold out from eating it all.
What we do with the paper wrap does the same thing for taste I'm thinking.

huntin'fool
04-09-2013, 09:31 PM
Huntinfool,,, firstly; with a name like huntinfool accompanied by a great avatar pic like you have "OH GAWD" reads wrong,, "HOT DANG" or "BOOYAH" but definitely not "OH GAWD" a very un-hunter expletive.

As for freezing, I will give it a try, if I can hold out from eating it all.
What we do with the paper wrap does the same thing for taste I'm thinking.

Are you questioning my manlihood?
LOL, you made me laugh. And thanks, I actually took that pic in my avatar. Had him bugling his bloody head off!

Here is what I like to do with my Pink Salmon...
Developing a pellicle:
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab353/huntin_fool/smokin%20etc/IMGP0952.jpg

Finished Product:
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab353/huntin_fool/smokin%20etc/IMGP0958.jpg
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab353/huntin_fool/smokin%20etc/IMGP0957.jpg

SimonB
04-10-2013, 03:22 PM
Hey Huntin Fool,

I was wondering if you hot smoke or cold smoke? Also how long do you brine for ? wet or dry? I always cold smoke my salmon under 80 degrees F.

CHeers

huntin'fool
04-10-2013, 05:47 PM
Hey Huntin Fool,

I was wondering if you hot smoke or cold smoke? Also how long do you brine for ? wet or dry? I always cold smoke my salmon under 80 degrees F.

CHeers

Hot smoke. Wet brine for 12 hours.

This is the recipe I use. http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=107.0

BeeGuy
04-10-2013, 06:30 PM
Are you questioning my manlihood?
LOL, you made me laugh. And thanks, I actually took that pic in my avatar. Had him bugling his bloody head off!

Here is what I like to do with my Pink Salmon...
Developing a pellicle:
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab353/huntin_fool/smokin%20etc/IMGP0952.jpg

Finished Product:
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab353/huntin_fool/smokin%20etc/IMGP0958.jpg
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab353/huntin_fool/smokin%20etc/IMGP0957.jpg

Not cool man, not cool