PDA

View Full Version : Wader question...

OttCan
04-07-2013, 10:09 PM
Hey, just wondering people's thoughts on a person first pair of waders. There's so many options and such, just looking for some points in the right direction. Those who have gone through the same thing same now would understand, I'm sure. I'm not sure if stocking foot or boot foot are better or neoprene or insulated/non insulated, etc etc.

Thanks for the advice!

Runnyd
04-07-2013, 10:35 PM
Redington waders are good for the price. Go with breathable/stocking foot and get a half decent pair of wading boots with good ankle support.

Pikecrazed
04-07-2013, 10:39 PM
I just got the Wally world special for 50 buck and the have been fine

Alberta83
04-08-2013, 07:40 AM
Dont go too cheap, the ones with the built in boots will eventually leak

Fishing_Junkie88
04-08-2013, 07:42 AM
Dont go too cheap, the ones with the built in boots will eventually leak

X2.

waynep
04-08-2013, 07:51 AM
Breathable with sock foot is the best way to go.
Other than that you have 2 choices either buy a cheaper pair and replace them every few years or buy a good pair that will last for a very long time. Simms and some of the higher end wader company's offer a lifetime warranty on their waders, sure you pay a bit more but you get what you pay for.
Make sure the waders you do buy have anatomically correct neoprene booty sections not just tubes with a bend around where your ankle should be!
Wayne

Mikezilk
04-08-2013, 10:50 AM
Redington waders are good for the price. Go with breathable/stocking foot and get a half decent pair of wading boots with good ankle support.

X 2.

I have Redington waders and wading boots and love them. Definitely go with stocking foot and boots. Redington has a lot of good quality waders and boots for a real decent price.

Darren N
04-08-2013, 11:27 AM
I had the one peice neoprene style that worked fine for quick little trips but made the mistake to use them for a 3 day trip. By the third day I was in so much pain from the seam on the boot that attaches to the neoprene was rubbbing on my skin and I did not wear long socks as it was a hot trip as well. Took a long time to heal after. Next sale I bought some nice breathable waders with a good boot. Not much fun fishing if you are in pain or a sauna. Or both in my case.

MK2750
04-08-2013, 11:56 AM
I have the Redington Skagit Wading boots and Sonic-Pro zipper front waders. I love em so far but have only used them for one season.

The zippered front is really nice for letting heat escape when walking rivers. I don't often stand up to my chest in water but any time I have they have been leak free around the zipper. When nature calls I don't have to remove my vest or fiddle with the shoulder straps. Seems trivial but I drink coffee from day light til dark and find the zipper front very handy.

The belt system (extra loops) and gravel guards work perfect and seem to be of good quality rather than an after thought. There is also several well thought out pockets for gear including an inside pocket for protecting a phone or small camera that zippers tight.

I have a sciatic nerve issue that forces me to wear only quality foot wear. The wading boots allow me to fish as long as I like without being bothered with leg pain. There are very few boots or shoes I can wear comfortably and be on my feet for any length of time. The uneven river bottom along with cold water amplifies this problem so I am more than a little bit impressed with these boots.

I am obviously a huge Redington/Sage fan and have a half dozen of their rods kicking around as well. I have had to deal with the warranty department over a broken (and obviously abused) fly rod and I can assure you you'll have no worries there either.

Penner
04-08-2013, 12:36 PM
Breathable with sock foot is the best way to go.

x2. Buy high quality as a rule of thumb it will out last and out preform.

I bought a pair of Warddel's (SP) several years back for my first set and they are still going strong.