PDA

View Full Version : Williston lake

mattybca
04-09-2013, 08:06 PM
Anybody fish williston lake in bc near chetwyn? wonder what type of fish and tips? its the man made lake because of bc hydro dam.

thanks

thunderheart
04-09-2013, 08:09 PM
never fished it but it is the biggest dammed lake .. there is a yacht club there with some big azz boats .. they have a fishing derby every bc day long weekend

mattybca
04-09-2013, 08:13 PM
it looks amazing and have heard its super clean, fish are perfect to eat.

BeeGuy
04-09-2013, 08:30 PM
If I recall correctly there may be Hg issues there.

You should be able to pull some Dollies/Bulls hucking big spoons out there.

Depending where you are there may be a lot of dead heads/stumps to snag on.

My experience fishing both Williston and Ootsa (Nechako Res.) is that fishing is tough until it turns over.

Depends when and where you are of course.

Good luck!

I'd love to get back out there.

mattybca
04-09-2013, 08:36 PM
ya I guess there is a forest under the water. what is turn over? might be a dumb question :confused0024:

thunderheart
04-09-2013, 08:38 PM
hudsons hope is the easiest access

canishunter22-250
04-09-2013, 09:53 PM
Fishing can be good for rainbows, bull trout, and lake trout, with the odd kokanee mixed in there. There are definately hotter spots than others, but trolling along and covering ground will produce fish no problem.

It's got a reputation as a pretty dangerous lake if you don't know what you're doing out there. The Peace Reach is a pretty big piece of water sitting parallel to prevailing winds coming through the rockies, so the waves can kick up really fast. Also not a lot of places to pull a boat into for shelter so you always have to have a plan in mind.

I'll be out there in my zodiac most of the weekends come spring.

Like BeeGuy said, there are some methylmercury issues due to the decomposing vegetation down there. I wouldn't worry about eating rainbow or the odd lake trout, but I sure wouldn't live off a steady diet of 15-year old lake trout meat.

I haven't spent much time out there in the last few years, but I caught a lot of fish out there growing up.

BeeGuy
04-09-2013, 10:15 PM
Yup, eating a single fish aint gonna kill a grown man.

Wouldn't feed them to a pregnant wife though.