PDA

View Full Version : No more barbless hooks in Alberta?

FishGuy07
04-11-2013, 02:13 PM
Did you guys read the 2013 Regulations? What are your thoughts?

Lefty-Canuck
04-11-2013, 02:14 PM
Did you guys read the 2013 Regulations? What are your thoughts?

Lots of threads on this already....usually turns into an ethical debate.....

.....no comment :)

LC

Scott N
04-11-2013, 02:17 PM
I'm glad it's no longer law to use barbless hooks. It's not that I won't continue to de-barb, but it depends on the circumstance.

ssyd
04-11-2013, 02:31 PM
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=174040
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=171258
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=167447
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=167663
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=164946
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=164266
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=158448
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=159142

BeeGuy
04-11-2013, 02:36 PM
Finally we can get back to rippin lipz!

RavYak
04-11-2013, 02:54 PM
Since someone created yet another thread on this thought I would comment here. It says the barbless removal was on accident and will be back as soon as possible, is that known to be true? I find it surprising that something like this could accidentally get taken out...

FishGuy07
04-11-2013, 03:17 PM
Thank you, everyone, I just got the regs and didn't realize that this discussion has been going on forever :) I apologize for creating this thread. If I could close it, I would.

trooper
04-11-2013, 05:43 PM
My better half was raised in the phillipines and loves to fish as I do. She believes that fishing is a method of putting food on the table, as I do. Our ancestors fished for that very same reason (I am Metis).
My wife and I refuse to fish in rivers that have catch and release so we limit our fishing expedition to stocked lakes and reservoirs. We both purchase our licenses and take our five trout out a day. As far as catch and release in these water bodies, I see no reason why the barbless hook requirement need to be used in these locations as the fish are to be consumed anyway. Just my thoughts here:thinking-006:

ssyd
04-11-2013, 06:02 PM
My better half was raised in the phillipines and loves to fish as I do. She believes that fishing is a method of putting food on the table, as I do. Our ancestors fished for that very same reason (I am Metis).
My wife and I refuse to fish in rivers that have catch and release so we limit our fishing expedition to stocked lakes and reservoirs. We both purchase our licenses and take our five trout out a day. As far as catch and release in these water bodies, I see no reason why the barbless hook requirement need to be used in these locations as the fish are to be consumed anyway. Just my thoughts here:thinking-006:

I hope you're eating all 5 of those trout before you go catch more.

Lefty-Canuck
04-11-2013, 06:05 PM
I hope you're eating all 5 of those trout per day.

.....five per day of fishing ....is different than five per day.

.....I would imagine he and his family are eating them and to insinuate he is not is not very becoming of a sportsman.

"Put and take" ponds are there for this reason as he stated......to catch small trout and eat them, if that is your thing have at it!
LC

ssyd
04-11-2013, 06:07 PM
.....five per day of fishing ....is different than five per day.

.....I would imagine he and his family are eating them and to insinuate he is not is not very becoming of a sportsman.

"Put and take" ponds are there for this reason as he stated......to catch small trout and eat them, if that is your thing have at it!
LC

Page 18, specifically provincewide maximum possession under Catch Limits. I didn't intend to call him a poacher just making sure he's aware.

All fish kept from any lake or stream, from any Watershed Unit, count as part of the provincewide maximum possession that must not be exceeded.

trooper
04-11-2013, 06:30 PM
Page 18, specifically provincewide maximum possession under Catch Limits. I didn't intend to call him a poacher just making sure he's aware.

Yes I'm fully aware and we do eat all 5 trout before or next outing. We get out maybe once or twice a month (last season, I got out once due to work).and during our time inland, we consume all the trout caught.:sHa_shakeshout:

ssyd
04-11-2013, 06:32 PM
Yes I'm fully aware and we do eat all 5 trout before or next outing. We get out maybe once or twice a month (last season, I got out once due to work).and during our time inland, we consume all the trout caught.:sHa_shakeshout:

Good man. You'd be surprised how many people have no clue and just assume that as long as they only catch X number of fish per day they can just load their freezer.

I just misread your statement about keeping your 5 per day. I assumed you lived near a trout pond and went every day. I meant no disrespect. You know what they say - when you assume you only make an ass outta u and me!

trooper
04-11-2013, 06:39 PM
The whole barbed/ barbless thing smacks of "political correctness" and as far as i'm concerned, political correctness is diplomatic tyranny.:argue2:

trooper
04-11-2013, 06:53 PM
Good man. You'd be surprised how many people have no clue and just assume that as long as they only catch X number of fish per day they can just load their freezer.

I just misread your statement about keeping your 5 per day. I assumed you lived near a trout pond and went every day. I meant no disrespect. You know what they say - when you assume you only make an ass outta u and me!
No Disrespect taken mate!!:sign0161:
I could never see the reason why barbed hooks have to be used on "put and take" reservoirs and lakes, since the fish are intended to be killed anyway.
I remember seeing a young mother and her 5 year old son out at east pit lake one day about 5 years ago, the poor kid had a micky mouse float in the water and was absolutely bored with fishing. My wife and I were off the shore about 20 meters and I heard him say to his mom, "That lady and man are catching all the fish!"
My wife and I had just caught two nice trout on the water boatman patterns that we were using.
I kicked over to talk to that young boy and his mother. I put a casting bubble on his line and a water boatman pattern that I tied up below his casting bubble. I taught him how to use that rig and in no time he was hauling in fish.
His Mom was so happy she started to cry.
The poor kid was using worms on a barbless hook and they would simply slide off when the hook hit the water. As far as I see it, the barbless rule just turns kids away from fishing because of situations like this.:(

huntsfurfish
04-11-2013, 08:31 PM
Well done Trooper! Nice to have people like you around!

trooper
04-11-2013, 09:49 PM
Ya, that whole episode still brings a lump in the throat. I hope that youngster stayed with this sport.

Jimboy
04-12-2013, 12:57 AM
No Disrespect taken mate!!:sign0161:
I could never see the reason why barbed hooks have to be used on "put and take" reservoirs and lakes, since the fish are intended to be killed anyway.
I remember seeing a young mother and her 5 year old son out at east pit lake one day about 5 years ago, the poor kid had a micky mouse float in the water and was absolutely bored with fishing. My wife and I were off the shore about 20 meters and I heard him say to his mom, "That lady and man are catching all the fish!"
My wife and I had just caught two nice trout on the water boatman patterns that we were using.
I kicked over to talk to that young boy and his mother. I put a casting bubble on his line and a water boatman pattern that I tied up below his casting bubble. I taught him how to use that rig and in no time he was hauling in fish.
His Mom was so happy she started to cry.
The poor kid was using worms on a barbless hook and they would simply slide off when the hook hit the water. As far as I see it, the barbless rule just turns kids away from fishing because of situations like this.:(

Thats rightttttttttttt.

pikergolf
04-12-2013, 01:00 AM
Anyone know how to rebarb a hook?

safcforever
04-12-2013, 07:12 AM
I'm glad it's no longer law to use barbless hooks. It's not that I won't continue to de-barb, but it depends on the circumstance.

Agree with this. If I'm catching to release then no barbs, if I'm catching to keep then I might be tempted

Scott N
04-12-2013, 08:27 AM
Agree with this. If I'm catching to release then no barbs, if I'm catching to keep then I might be tempted

Or another example of using judgement is if I'm fishing for pike with a spoon with a treble hook on it, or if I'm using a #16 dry fly. I'm debarbing the spoon, but not the fly in most circumstances.

Kim473
04-12-2013, 09:48 AM
Funny thing now. I have about 500 hooks in my tackle boxes and only about 20 of them still have barbs LOL. Not gonna replace them all now. Think most people will be barbless most of the time for a few years.

McLeod
04-12-2013, 10:12 AM
This issue will be discussed further at the Roundtable this weekend
in Red Deer

BigPikeHunter
04-12-2013, 02:51 PM
Anyone know how to rebarb a hook?

I think I saw re-barbing kits at Cabelas and TFH...lol

pikester
04-12-2013, 03:11 PM
The ridiculous thing about the whole barb/no barb legislation is that it may be rescinded... again! Obviously there are many fishermen who are not yet even aware the barbless rule was nullified, if F&W overturn it & put it back in the books, it will take years to clear up the confusion & get everyone informed again.

Like a lot of people here I probably use barbless hooks 95% or more of the time anyway but think it should be a personal choice, not a law.

huntsfurfish
04-12-2013, 03:16 PM
The ridiculous thing about the whole barb/no barb legislation is that it may be rescinded... again! Obviously there are many fishermen who are not yet even aware the barbless rule was nullified, if F&W overturn it & put it back in the books, it will take years to clear up the confusion & get everyone informed again.

Like a lot of people here I probably use barbless hooks 95% or more of the time anyway but think it should be a personal choice, not a law.

Exactly!

kostianych
04-12-2013, 03:29 PM
since most of my favorite hooks/lures have no barbs - I don`t care :))))

RavYak
04-12-2013, 03:31 PM

I like Saskatchewan's stance on barbed hooks. They are allowed except at catch and release lakes(for which they have different types with reduced limits) with the odd other exceptions.

I think barbless should also be mandatory if you are fishing for protected species like Sturgeon and Bull trout(although Bull trout would be a little difficult to enforce).

Bud W
04-12-2013, 04:15 PM
Good idea for the catch and release lakes to help out the fish from some folks.

jeffrey929
04-13-2013, 09:05 AM
Fisheries and Oceans amended its legislation to allow fishing with barbed hooks and Alberta's regulations were amended to reflect the changes made by the Federal Government

bush junkie
04-13-2013, 04:16 PM
WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Didn't know this..

slimjim
04-13-2013, 04:16 PM
This barbless law was brought in to make money, not save fish. Fish and wildlife officers needed a way to make easy boot money, therefore the barbless hook law. Its just that simple.

bush junkie
04-13-2013, 04:18 PM
WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! I did not know this!!!!

catnthehat
04-13-2013, 05:50 PM
This barbless law was brought in to make money, not save fish. Fish and wildlife officers needed a way to make easy boot money, therefore the barbless hook law. Its just that simple.

Where in the world did you ever hear that crap- or did you dream this up yopurself??!!:sHa_sarcasticlol:
Cat

Sundancefisher
04-14-2013, 08:39 AM

Actually not true. The truth is that Ralph Klein liked to go fishing. He however also loved fishing in northern Manitoba and while fishing there marveled at how many fish there were to catch.

He then noted that regs there were barbless. He then connected the dots to say that barbless means better fishing. He was not a biologist and did not add in any causal relationship between location and fishing pressure.

He then came back to Alberta and mandated barbless to the F&W minions. They in turn put it in motion to a large number of professional complaints and quiet protests.

This has nothing to do with money. Nothing to do with science. Everything to do with Klein's good hearted yet misguided intentions.

jeffrey929
04-14-2013, 08:48 AM
According to a letter I received from the ESRD, up until September 22, 2011, federal legislation prohibited the use of barbed hooks, and Alberta's Fishing regulations followed that legislation... The ESRD is currently working with the Government of Canada to determine the appropriate next steps as the Dept. of Fisheries and Oceans has amended the legislation to allow barbed hooks

lannie
04-14-2013, 09:06 AM
Actually not true. The truth is that Ralph Klein liked to go fishing. He however also loved fishing in northern Manitoba and while fishing there marveled at how many fish there were to catch.

He then noted that regs there were barbless. He then connected the dots to say that barbless means better fishing. He was not a biologist and did not add in any causal relationship between location and fishing pressure.

He then came back to Alberta and mandated barbless to the F&W minions. They in turn put it in motion to a large number of professional complaints and quiet protests.

This has nothing to do with money. Nothing to do with science. Everything to do with Klein's good hearted yet misguided intentions.

There are several variations of that Ralph Klein story. There is one where Klein is fishing for salmon fishing in BC, or pike in the north, or a guided trip on the Bow where Klein asked the guide what would make fishing in Alberta Better. I think there probably is a thread on every forum in Canada addressing the Barb less thing and the Alberta Based ones all have variations of the Klein story.

braggadoe
04-14-2013, 09:28 AM
if you think that barbed hooks don't affect fish mortality. please bury a barbed hook in/trough your own lip, and a barbless hook. report back which one comes out easier.

deanmc
04-14-2013, 09:31 AM
if you think that barbed hooks don't affect fish mortality. please bury a barbed hook in/trough your own lip, and a barbless hook. report back which one comes out easier.

Seems like a reasonable comparison.

huntsfurfish
04-14-2013, 01:52 PM

Ill do it if you do it. But you first:) But if you survive I wont have to do it!

JohninAB
04-14-2013, 02:57 PM
Hope they get the barbless regulation back in force ASAP.

huntsfurfish
04-14-2013, 03:04 PM
Not happenin:)

slimjim
04-14-2013, 08:42 PM
Let me as a fisherman have the choice, on which hook to use.

BeeGuy
04-14-2013, 08:47 PM

There have been poorer comparisons and steamier piles, however this one holds its own.

What it comes down to, is it wont kill the idiot in your poor example, and it wont kill the fish in reality.

Maybe we should design policy based on evidence?

The science is clear, if you are worried about fish mortality, use a barbed or barbless hook of your choice, but make sure to leave your camera at home.

bowness
04-15-2013, 08:06 AM
This issue will be discussed further at the Roundtable this weekend
in Red Deer

How did that go?

Lefty-Canuck
04-15-2013, 08:18 AM

It is not the hook that damages the fish per se but the guy/gal handling the fish who doesn't know what he is doing....the ones who hold them tight our of the water and sqeeze them so they make a croaking noise or haul them into the bottom of the boat to thrash.....or do their best Joe Montana impersonation for their buddies on the lake....these people have killed more fish than a barbed hook.

I think the barbless rules were brought in as a band-aid to people who have no idea how to handle fish properly.....

.....you know how it works punish everyone to get to the few.

LC

braggadoe
04-15-2013, 09:07 AM
It is not the hook that damages the fish per se but the guy/gal handling the fish who doesn't know what he is doing....the ones who hold them tight our of the water and sqeeze them so they make a croaking noise or haul them into the bottom of the boat to thrash.....or do their best Joe Montana impersonation for their buddies on the lake....these people have killed more fish than a barbed hook.

I think the barbless rules were brought in as a band-aid to people who have no idea how to handle fish properly.....

.....you know how it works punish everyone to get to the few.

LC

you are 100% correct. removing which hook, is less stressful on the fish? barbed or barbless? it's not rocket science.

huntsfurfish
04-15-2013, 10:28 AM
you are 100% correct. removing which hook, is less stressful on the fish? barbed or barbless? it's not rocket science.

Up for the challenge yet:):sHa_sarcasticlol:

Seriously though, not "rocket science", but the science indicates "no significant difference".

Soon2flypat
04-15-2013, 12:48 PM
90% of us know how to handle fish. I agree that the law is for those who don't know how or don't care. And it sucks that we have to pay for their stupidity. However, I'd rather have the law in place to protect the fish from these people. Also, if you know how to play a fish, you shouldn't really have an issue with using a debarbed hook anyway. I'd argue that you're catch rate will not change dramatically. Just my two cents.

Lefty-Canuck
04-15-2013, 12:57 PM

No doubt a barbless hook is easier to remove...BUT if you know what you are doing a barbed one is not that difficult to remove either.

If someone is afraid to bait a hook or touch a fish and they are old enough to drive....maybe fishing is not their thing :)

LC

McLeod
04-15-2013, 01:15 PM
[QUOTE=Soon2flypat;1931532]90% of us know how to handle fish. QUOTE]

I would strongly disagree with that..

I would also suggest that 90 per cent of those fishing our rivers and streams couldn't pass the fish I.D. test..

Soon2flypat
04-15-2013, 01:31 PM
McLeod, you're probably right. I was being pretty generous by saying 90%. To me fishing is strictly a sport and I hate keeping a fish out of water any longer than it has to be. I love the challenge of the fight and losing a fish because it slipped off the hook is ok with me. The best fishing stories come from the ones that got away.

I have no problem with anybody who wants to keep some fish for the table within the regulations, as long as they remember to respect the fish that they put back so others can enjoy them too. This seems to me to be the debate between those for and those against barbed hooks.

recce43
04-15-2013, 02:42 PM
well im not going to pinch barbs down on any new gear if they want barbless hooks here then they should only sell barbless hooks

BeeGuy
04-15-2013, 02:53 PM
McLeod, you're probably right. I was being pretty generous by saying 90%. To me fishing is strictly a sport and I hate keeping a fish out of water any longer than it has to be. I love the challenge of the fight and losing a fish because it slipped off the hook is ok with me. The best fishing stories come from the ones that got away.

I have no problem with anybody who wants to keep some fish for the table within the regulations, as long as they remember to respect the fish that they put back so others can enjoy them too. This seems to me to be the debate between those for and those against barbed hooks.

No, I think you've missed the point. Most people are concerned that the policy is not supported by the science.

I caught a few thousand fish on barbed hooks this ice season, and there was no notable difference in mortality compared to the season before it.

mszomola
04-15-2013, 03:35 PM
With the way albertans like to keep walleye , does it really matter barbed or not ?

I moved back home to Ontario last august and i recall having to replace all my hooks with barbed ones. It was stupid lets face it. Sure a case could be made for barbless , you could also just stop fishing altogether because thats proven 100% effective in helping fish populations as well.... but at some point between the poaching, the bucket anglers, the fish and wildlife folks who ticket seldom and the particularly short fishing season, using a barb or not won't make an impact at all.

The point most are missing is , as much as you wish the fishing was that great , and how much you wish bass could exsist in your lakes and the over blown rhetoric of fanatical old timers in AB trying to lay their rather dated wisdom along to anglers .... the fact is you wont improve much on whats there....

if you live in AB and you like to fish , get really good at fly fishing , learn to ice fish and have second hobby like skiing because most of your time will be spent in the snow.

There is no barbless law in ontario and its a fishing mecca , sure we have more lakes , we also have much much more fishing pressure ontop of the similar recklessness of the recreational watersport folk.

time till kick the dead horse in the nuts again, now im contributing to the same bs discussion gezzzzzz....

Soon2flypat
04-15-2013, 03:54 PM
BeeGuy, maybe I did miss the point, or maybe not. I don't think we need a science to prove that it is slightly easier to remove a barbless hook. The point I was trying to make was if you're a c & r fisherman I don't think that there's a point in using barbed hooks. A barbed hook makes a bigger hole in the lip and takes longer to remove. Basic rule, if you can't hold your breath for the length of time fish is out of water, it's too long.

BeeGuy
04-15-2013, 04:47 PM
BeeGuy, maybe I did miss the point, or maybe not. I don't think we need a science to prove that it is slightly easier to remove a barbless hook. The point I was trying to make was if you're a c & r fisherman I don't think that there's a point in using barbed hooks. A barbed hook makes a bigger hole in the lip and takes longer to remove. Basic rule, if you can't hold your breath for the length of time fish is out of water, it's too long.

You don't need science.

I don't need legislation.

If you are a C&R fisherman, like all of us most of the time, leave your camera at home.

Can you honestly say that you can see a bigger hole when you use barbed hooks?

Barbed or barbless, there should be no hole to speak of 95%+ of the time.

huntsfurfish
04-15-2013, 06:45 PM
"Soon2flypat
90% of us know how to handle fish. I agree that the law is for those who don't know how or don't care. And it sucks that we have to pay for their stupidity. However, I'd rather have the law in place to protect the fish from these people. Also, if you know how to play a fish, you shouldn't really have an issue with using a debarbed hook anyway. I'd argue that you're catch rate will not change dramatically "

OK a poor fish handler is a poor fish handler. Barbless hooks are not going to save his fish. So why have it?

And neither will the mortality rate

BeeGuy
04-15-2013, 08:25 PM
I only fish barbless because barbs are unethical and kill all the fish.

BTW check out these videos of me manhandling cutties and bulls for 5 min with no net and all the sweet still shots we got.:thinking-006:

trooper
04-15-2013, 08:32 PM
BeeGuy, How is barbs unethical if I'm not doing C&R? I fish to eat period. I refuse to fish streams and bodies of water that harbor a protected species. I only fish put and take bodies of water. So I ask you again, what is unethical about eating your catch??
That's what fishing was invented for

MoFugger21
04-15-2013, 08:53 PM
BeeGuy, How is barbs unethical if I'm not doing C&R? I fish to eat period. I refuse to fish streams and bodies of water that harbor a protected species. I only fish put and take bodies of water. So I ask you again, what is unethical about eating your catch??
That's what fishing was invented for

I think there was some sarcasm in BeeGuy's post that may have been missed...

trooper
04-15-2013, 09:02 PM
I think there was some sarcasm in BeeGuy's post that may have been missed...

Ok I'll give him that.. I guess I shouldnt get so darned defensive.:snapoutofit:
:)

BeeGuy
04-15-2013, 09:12 PM
Pure sarcasm.

I know that barbs are not having any difference in fish mortality as I use both barbed and barbless regularly and I have read the primary literature.

I do think trebles make a difference over similar sized single hooks ie 1/0 single vs 1/0 treble,

however that is not the issue at hand.

I dont care either way and use both.

braggadoe
04-16-2013, 06:20 AM
the purpose of a barb, is to hold the hook in the tissue.

there has been studies that show, the act off hooking a fish with barbed vs barbless makes no difference.

the difference comes when trying to remove a barbed vs barbless hook. barbed hooks ARE more difficult to remove, which increases the handling time, which means more stress on the fish. not every time......but more times with barbed vs barbless.

there is a reason doctors,veterinary,body piercing,acupuncture, etc. don't use barbed instruments when the instrument is going to be removed later. thier harder to remove.

excessive/poor fish handling causes the increase in mortality. be it barbs,picture taking, fish out off the water to long, measuring,weighing, ect.

if your too lazy to pinch a barb and require barbs to land fish. carry on.

Sundancefisher
04-16-2013, 07:24 AM

there has been studies that show, the act off hooking a fish with barbed vs barbless makes no difference.

the difference comes when trying to remove a barbed vs barbless hook. barbed hooks ARE more difficult to remove, which increases the handling time, which means more stress on the fish. not every time......but more times with barbed vs barbless.

there is a reason doctors,veterinary,body piercing,acupuncture, etc. don't use barbed instruments when the instrument is going to be removed later. thier harder to remove.

excessive/poor fish handling causes the increase in mortality. be it barbs,picture taking, fish out off the water to long, measuring,weighing, ect.

I have seen poor handling regardless of barbs. If poor handling is your primary issue...target that versus barbs.

Lefty-Canuck
04-16-2013, 07:30 AM

See you have too many different arguments in this statement.....then you insinuate that people who use barbs are lazy and it hurts your argument further.....

I think if someone is at a put and take lake and intends on keeping there catch then use what ever you like.

If the fish you are targeting are strictly C&R then again use whatever you like but barbless would be a reasonable choice in the circumstance.

LC

braggadoe
04-16-2013, 07:59 AM
foresure, if a fish for supper is the objective. fish mortality is not an issue, it is the objective.

i was speaking to "barbed hooks don't impact fish mortality." barbs are harder to remove, thus increase fish mortality due to increased handling. not all the time,not most of the time, but sometimes.

huntsfurfish
04-16-2013, 09:29 AM
foresure, if a fish for supper is the objective. fish mortality is not an issue, it is the objective.

i was speaking to "barbed hooks don't impact fish mortality." barbs are harder to remove, thus increase fish mortality due to increased handling. not all the time,not most of the time, but sometimes.

As in little significant difference.:)

huntsfurfish
04-16-2013, 09:46 AM

Do you use pliers or forceps to remove hooks? Or do you prefer the ease of hand removal?

braggadoe
04-16-2013, 10:06 AM
As in little significant difference.:)

little significant difference, multiplied by thousands and thousands of anglers equals a significant difference.

huntsfurfish
04-16-2013, 11:07 AM
little significant difference, multiplied by thousands and thousands of anglers equals a significant difference.

Still equals little significant difference.:snapoutofit::)

Are you going to answer the question? Bet you choose the ease of hand removal. See lots of barbless guys trying to "fish" the hook out with their fingers(because of the easy out of barbless?). They end up messing around with the fish because it is supposed to be easier.

Barbed or barbless-use a pair of pliers/forceps and removal is easier! Lip hooked fish can be released in the water with a simple twist of the pliers/forceps. There is no time difference(at least not that you could perceive). Since the inception of barbless it has been all to common to see an angler struggling with a fish trying to remove a barbless hook with his fingers! I have seen plenty of people with their fingers in a small trout trying to dislodge the barbless hook!

bragadoe you can deny being a finger releaser, but think about it. Bet you see the same thing.

braggadoe
04-16-2013, 01:57 PM
not sure what you mean by twisting, but the last thing i would do is twist a hook out of a fish.maybe you mean roll it out, the the opposite way it went in?

was talking barb/barbless. it's allways a fun conversation. if you'ld like to talk release, o.k.

i rarely, if ever, touch a fish i catch myself. unless i'm going to eat it.

all the flies i use, and sell, are 100% barbless. i'm into the take,tug,rise,pull,strike, ect. i could care less about playing a fish, and get them in as fast as possible. if they get off, even better.

once close in, drop some slack and more often than not, they come unbuttoned on there own.

if that doesn't work. strip the fly right up too the tiptop,a short 1-2 inch poke often pops the fly right out. doesn't work if your fishing with split shot/indicators. never use either, myself.

once in a while(rarely), i'll tail my own fish, and use pliers,forceps,leather man. push the fly back the opposite way it went in. and remove.

sometimes i do have problems releasing fish for other people who haven't pinched their barbs enough/at all. it's my job, it's what i do. it's always cause by barbs.

immediately i cut the line. grab the eye of the hook, applying pressure down, and pushing the hook back out the way it went in. the same way i use a loop of line around the hook bend. to remove barbed hooks from myself,my dog, and other people.

if i see other anglers hooked up, i go and help them too. even if they're are not my own clients. if they want it, or not. learned long ago, the best way to avoid watching a "beach bouncing" fiasco. is to offer assistance asap. i can't stand seeing fish that are going to be released,bouncing around on the rocks/mud/sand

maybe some day, i will have handled as many fish as you and beeguy. until then i'm sticking with barbless hook.:)

recce43
04-16-2013, 02:42 PM
it just come down to choice if you want to use barbless than go ahead if you want to use barbs then go ahead if its al legal who iam i to judge what other people are doing .
My 2 cents worth

huntsfurfish
04-16-2013, 06:17 PM
not sure what you mean by twisting, but the last thing i would do is twist a hook out of a fish.maybe you mean roll it out, the the opposite way it went in?

was talking barb/barbless. it's allways a fun conversation. if you'ld like to talk release, o.k.

i rarely, if ever, touch a fish i catch myself. unless i'm going to eat it.

all the flies i use, and sell, are 100% barbless. i'm into the take,tug,rise,pull,strike, ect. i could care less about playing a fish, and get them in as fast as possible. if they get off, even better.

once close in, drop some slack and more often than not, they come unbuttoned on there own.

if that doesn't work. strip the fly right up too the tiptop,a short 1-2 inch poke often pops the fly right out. doesn't work if your fishing with split shot/indicators. never use either, myself.

once in a while(rarely), i'll tail my own fish, and use pliers,forceps,leather man. push the fly back the opposite way it went in. and remove.

sometimes i do have problems releasing fish for other people who haven't pinched their barbs enough/at all. it's my job, it's what i do. it's always cause by barbs.

immediately i cut the line. grab the eye of the hook, applying pressure down, and pushing the hook back out the way it went in. the same way i use a loop of line around the hook bend. to remove barbed hooks from myself,my dog, and other people.

if i see other anglers hooked up, i go and help them too. even if they're are not my own clients. if they want it, or not. learned long ago, the best way to avoid watching a "beach bouncing" fiasco. is to offer assistance asap. i can't stand seeing fish that are going to be released,bouncing around on the rocks/mud/sand

maybe some day, i will have handled as many fish as you and beeguy. until then i'm sticking with barbless hook.:)

And that's the way it should be - Choice not law.:)

JohninAB
04-16-2013, 07:07 PM
I for one say no choice make it law again. Fish deserve it and if you need a barb to catch a fish and not loose it as many bemoaned when the law first came in, then maybe fishing ain't your cup of tea.

Remember back in the day at Pigeon catching walleyes and their lips were ripped to rat crap from people yanking barbs out. Taking a barb out of flesh by pulling it backwards will cause a bigger wound channel than a barbless hook. If you do not believe it, stick a barbed hook in the flesh of your palm and pull it back the way it went in and then stick a barbless hook in your palm and pull it out the same way. Hmmm, wonder which one will cause more pain and damage to tissue? Not saying it is going to kill but damage to tissue is the critical point in my mind. And for those who want to argue this, well lets meet up and you can run the test. I will videotape the test and post it on here for all to see.

huntsfurfish
04-16-2013, 07:24 PM
I for one say no choice make it law again. Fish deserve it and if you need a barb to catch a fish and not loose it as many bemoaned when the law first came in, then maybe fishing ain't your cup of tea.

Remember back in the day at Pigeon catching walleyes and their lips were ripped to rat crap from people yanking barbs out. Taking a barb out of flesh by pulling it backwards will cause a bigger wound channel than a barbless hook. If you do not believe it, stick a barbed hook in the flesh of your palm and pull it back the way it went in and then stick a barbless hook in your palm and pull it out the same way. Hmmm, wonder which one will cause more pain and damage to tissue? Not saying it is going to kill but damage to tissue is the critical point in my mind. And for those who want to argue this, well lets meet up and you can run the test. I will videotape the test and post it on here for all to see.

LOL same offer stands. You first if you survive I will not need to do it:) There has never been a more useless law than the barbless law!

greylynx
04-16-2013, 07:26 PM

Where is your substantive proof for such assertions?

Show us.

Do you tell your students items like this every day?

Stuff like this reminds me of Keegstra.

The Calgary papers would love this.

greylynx
04-16-2013, 07:41 PM
Barbed versus barbless is not going to affect the fish populations.

A good rest from fishing pressure will help the fish populations.

Alberta does not have the water to support the increasing number of anglers and those with special rights.

Unfortunately, too many Albertans and new Albertans do not realize this problem.

The fisheries in Alberta have pretty well collapsed.

Snivelling about barbed versus barbless is not the problem...you are the problem.

BeeGuy
04-16-2013, 07:58 PM
I am the problem.

JohninAB
04-16-2013, 07:59 PM
LOL same offer stands. You first if you survive I will not need to do it:) There has never been a more useless law than the barbless law!

Best reread my post and try to comprehend what I stated. Never said anything about surviving I stated the tissue damage is more with a barb versus a barbless hook.

Your remarks of me first only goes to prove my point and I rest easy knowing the barbless law will be back, sooner than later! :sHa_shakeshout:

BeeGuy
04-16-2013, 08:01 PM

Why do you put the onus on others when you are perfectly capable of proving your absurd example yourself?

BeeGuy
04-16-2013, 08:04 PM
Why have all our PETA fishermen not designed a hookless method of catching fish?

Barbs are not the issue, hooks are.

jam a hook into your face and see how much it hurts and how much damage it causes,

then, don't jam a hook in your face and see how little it hurts and how little damage is caused.

The conclusion is clear.

Ban hooks.

It is the only ethical solution and our fish deserve the best.

9/10 dentists agree, a hooked fish is more likely to be depressed and have low self-esteem than an unhooked fish.

JohninAB
04-16-2013, 08:20 PM
Absurd, PETA fishermen. What a weak retort. Congrats on that.

04-16-2013, 09:34 PM
Why have all our PETA fishermen not designed a hookless method of catching fish?

Barbs are not the issue, hooks are.

jam a hook into your face and see how much it hurts and how much damage it causes,

then, don't jam a hook in your face and see how little it hurts and how little damage is caused.

The conclusion is clear.

Ban hooks.

It is the only ethical solution and our fish deserve the best.

9/10 dentists agree, a hooked fish is more likely to be depressed and have low self-esteem than an unhooked fish.

I love the concept.............let's make fishing POINTLESS.

Instead of requiring anglers to remove only the barb from their hook, pass a law that requires them to remove the point from their hook.

The barbless hook zealots should love this regulation, and will no doubt agree that making fishing POINTLESS causes even less damage to fish than fishing with a barbless hook. After all, the hook won't penetrate the fish and there will be no stress from mishandling the fish, cuz there is virtually no chance of landing it.

BeeGuy
04-16-2013, 10:06 PM
:happy0034: :happy0034:

amazing

recce43
04-16-2013, 10:12 PM
so i guess barbless hook people do not want anybody to keep any fish all catch and release for frig sakes all this crap about barbless and barbed hooks we are all our own worst enemies ..... next it will be no fishing at all .... This whole forum is all in fighting blame this blame that im done

anthony5
04-16-2013, 10:36 PM
I guess there is no pleasing every one:mad0100: so if it is such a big issue as to how fishing hooks are configured,barbs or no barbs, maybe no hooks period, which I am sure would please some people:argue2:, maybe we should go back to the good ole snare:sHa_shakeshout:. Would sure get rid of some of the armchair fishermen, and all would be good:sHa_shakeshout:

timsesink
04-16-2013, 10:52 PM
I've been watching, but I guess I'll wade in. I feel that its my duty to do the least harm I can do to a fish. Just as its my duty to make the best, most humane shot on animals. Barbless hooks usually create less tissue damage and lead to less handling. While neither of these may cause mortality they do create added opportunities for stress and sickness. I'll go barbless but certainly won't judge those who don't.

huntsfurfish
04-16-2013, 11:17 PM
Best reread my post and try to comprehend what I stated. Never said anything about surviving I stated the tissue damage is more with a barb versus a barbless hook.

Your remarks of me first only goes to prove my point and I rest easy knowing the barbless law will be back, sooner than later! :sHa_shakeshout:

I comprehend more than you think and obviously more than you:thinking-006:. What part of little significant difference don't you understand? Tissue damage, cmon??? Your arguments and examples for barbless are very weak. Doubt it will be back:).

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
04-17-2013, 12:05 AM
Breaking news Barbed hooks again Illegal . :sHa_shakeshout: :sHa_shakeshout: :sHa_shakeshout: I guess maybe that was wishfull thinking . I don't know I will remain barbless because I know If I get a good hook set and keep my line tight that fishing isn't going no where but into the net .

x 2 on what Johninab says .

fish gunner
04-17-2013, 12:17 AM
I've been watching, but I guess I'll wade in. I feel that its my duty to do the least harm I can do to a fish. Just as its my duty to make the best, most humane shot on animals. Barbless hooks usually create less tissue damage and lead to less handling. While neither of these may cause mortality they do create added opportunities for stress and sickness. I'll go barbless but certainly won't judge those who don't.

×2. Well said.

trooper
04-17-2013, 12:19 AM
Breaking news Barbed hooks again Illegal . :sHa_shakeshout: :sHa_shakeshout: :sHa_shakeshout: I guess maybe that was wishfull thinking . I don't know I will remain barbless because I know If I get a good hook set and keep my line tight that fishing isn't going no where but into the net .

x 2 on what Johninab says .

Show me the source of your "breaking news"

huntsfurfish
04-17-2013, 10:51 AM
wishful thinking:)

Wild&Free
04-17-2013, 11:18 AM
There's another dead horse down the road ya'll can go poke with a stick. Think this one has been beat enough.

Soon2flypat
04-17-2013, 11:35 AM
My stick will not be barbed!

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
04-17-2013, 12:52 PM
Show me the source of your "breaking news"

I was being sarcastic , but its a mater of time that it will be back to the way it should be .

huntsfurfish
04-17-2013, 02:45 PM
I was being sarcastic , but its a mater of time that it will be back to the way it should be .

Your right, pre-barbless:sHa_sarcasticlol:

BeeGuy
04-17-2013, 04:04 PM
This is now the Post Barbless Era (PBlE).

A post-apocalyptic landscape where no lacustrine or riverine piscine critters survive.

Tales tell of a single 3N Deifbow of gargantuan size which prowls the prairies gorging on those who fell in the great "little tiny extra pointy thing" massacre of 2013.

BeeGuy
04-17-2013, 04:24 PM
http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg523/elbee69/fishing-hook-6-claw-hook-super-sharp-hooks_zpse8b79d24.jpg

huntsfurfish
04-17-2013, 05:39 PM
http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg523/elbee69/fishing-hook-6-claw-hook-super-sharp-hooks_zpse8b79d24.jpg

Hahahahaha

great pic.

Guess that really sums it up.:)

pri
04-17-2013, 06:40 PM
Guess that really sums it up.:)

It does not. Those hooks would be easier
to remove without barbs.

BeeGuy
04-17-2013, 06:46 PM
Regardless,

the barb will keep the hook in place so that it does not come loose and rehook the fish outside of the mouth.

The issue is fish mortality and scientific experimentation has shown us there is no difference.

Legislation should be based in science where possible, not based on someones preference.

"Here, hold my camera while I stomach pump this huge trout in the middle of the summer from some slough in order to see which colour chironomids they are taking...."

laughable

kevinhits
04-17-2013, 06:54 PM
It does not. Those hooks would be easier
to remove without barbs.

Pri....You were banned at least once.....for some reason or another...If that is the case you have nothing more to offer than babble:sHa_sarcasticlol:

BeeGuy
04-17-2013, 06:59 PM
Pri....You were banned at least once.....for some reason or another...If that is the case you have nothing more to offer than babble:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Glad I'm not the only one that picked up on that...by their 2nd post...

kevinhits
04-17-2013, 07:08 PM
[QUOTE=BeeGuy;1934672]Glad I'm not the only one that picked up on that...by their 2nd post...[/QUOTE

HAHA....He is quick to comment on your posts.....AS your posts before..Tesma....(Long time listner, first time caller)for me.....As they say

BeeGuy
04-17-2013, 07:24 PM
Ya poor Tezma must be on his 8th username, maybe an AO record?

It must get tiring trying to work around the email and ISP issues.

kevinhits
04-17-2013, 07:27 PM
ya poor tezma must be on his 8th username, maybe an ao record?

It must get tiring trying to work around the email and isp issues.

lol.......

kevinhits
04-17-2013, 07:32 PM
Ya poor Tezma must be on his 8th username, maybe an AO record?

It must get tiring trying to work around the email and ISP issues.

Oh yeah...by the way...Evertime I look at your avatar, it kinda scares the **** out of me....The eyes and all...My son would have nightmares:)