PDA

View Full Version : Wolf lake (near cold lake) thoughts

sharples
04-11-2013, 03:37 PM
Some cousins and I are thinking of going to Wolf lake in early June. We have in the past fished Pinehurst and used the cabins on the far side however these are unavailable this year. We were going to rent an RV and hit the campground at Wolf Lake. We are looking for an thoughts or comments or other lakes with a campground around that area that would be good? Definitely looking for walleye but pike works in a pinch too!!
Thanks

cube
04-11-2013, 04:06 PM
You might find this useful.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=169907

You should book early at the MD of Bonnyville office as the best spots go early.

Good Luck, have fun

hydrofish01
04-11-2013, 09:08 PM
Wolf lk is great! You will have a blast! IMO wolf can be better than pinhurst. target the creeks in and out

Safety D
04-12-2013, 10:04 AM
Fish the north bay. Great beach there. Great lake but not like it was in the early 2000's

sourdough doug
04-12-2013, 10:43 PM
Fished Wolf in the late sixties and early 70's when it was a real lake, then came the campsites and partiers. And that was a real nice beach on the other side.

Pikebreath
04-13-2013, 12:14 AM
Fished Wolf in the late sixties and early 70's when it was a real lake, then came the campsites and partiers. And that was a real nice beach on the other side.

I remember fishing Wolf Lake the first year the road was punched into the lake. Limit in those days was 15 pickeral as we called them back then. Mom, Dad and I had our 45 fish combined limit in less than two hours of trolling len thompson spoons. We want back into shore, cleaned them,,,,,mom started canning,,, and Dad and I went back out and got another 30.

The "easy" walleye fishing lasted 2- 3 years. The pike fishing stayed good for another 3 - 4 years after that,, but by that time several other new lakes had been "opened up" so we moved with the rest of the crowds to Pinehurst, Siebert, Touchwood,,,, Is it any wonder that so many walleye (and pike) populations had crashed by the mid '80s to mid '90's ?