PDA

View Full Version : Dore Lake lodge

Safety D
04-12-2013, 10:12 AM
Looking at venturing out of province and trying Dore Lake Lodge. Any info would be great. Looking at second week of July. You can PM if you would like. And no Dore is not DEAD !!!!

Jason66
04-12-2013, 10:18 AM
Not sure what your target is but if its walleye I would suggest take the extra hour or so and try pinehouse or buffalo narrows. Both excellent. I have friends that have fished Dore but have always seemed to be battling rough seas.

dodgeboy1979
04-12-2013, 10:31 AM
Second week of July, i would be heading to Buffalo Narrows, the Dillon Creek on the west side of Peter Pond lake will be stacked with Walters in that time frame. Dore can be tough, it chops up real fast, i found the best fishing in the late evening, bottom bouncing around weed beds in about ten foot of water.

aulrich
04-12-2013, 11:48 AM
Looking at venturing out of province and trying Dore Lake Lodge. Any info would be great. Looking at second week of July. You can PM if you would like. And no Dore is not DEAD !!!!

SSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHH! :) the launch gets busy if there are more that 10 boats on the water.

I'll be up there about that time, and I get a trip out there mid June as well, so I'll see prime time for the first time. Some good fishing May long as well but it is looking like ice out will be late this year

If you see a next to new Tracker with a white dog with black spots that's me.

And it does chop up, one year we where blown off the water for all but one mourning for the whole week.

There are generally two types of weeds, the standard "pike cabbage" and stuff that looks more like horse tails, do you troll both for them. We mostly pike fish, but I want to change that.

dodgeboy1979
04-12-2013, 11:54 AM
the horsetail stuff is where i have found them in the past.

THERICARDO
04-12-2013, 12:25 PM
Dore is awesome and we have always had success and lots of fun at the lake... As others have said when its blowing can get really choppy but fishing can be amazing... We are heading out June 14-19 anf then to Otter lake for a week... Have fun and good luck!

Big Schnizz
04-12-2013, 01:16 PM
Should be good fishing that time of the year. Where are the best launches on Dore? I've only stayed at the lodge once and you had to back so far into the lake to launch the boat.

aulrich
04-12-2013, 02:04 PM
Depends on which way the wind is blowing.

The town site is decent, but the dock is awkward, decently sheltered in a breeze.

Tower Lodge is shallow and has rocks not far from the path in. and the owners tend not to play well with others.

Michell Point is good , but very exposed, and to be honest I am not sure it's open to the public, we pay a yearly fee.

Dore Lodge (never used personally)

Good thing the 4 stroke idles so well, there is a lot of horsehair weed, in the bay behind big Island and in east bay. Oh well more gear to buy.

Safety D
04-12-2013, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. I am sure it will be plenty good for me. Going to be nice to be able to keep some fish also. The price is right and I hear the lodge is great. I got a big boat so should not be a problem. the home bay is not that big so hang out in there if I have too.

aulrich
04-12-2013, 04:16 PM
The folks at the lodge will tell you where the rock are , listen close, lots of funky rocks. and long reefs. I still cruse with the sounder on at all times. I think what gets most folks is how quick you can go from deep to on the rocks in some places.

Safety D
04-12-2013, 04:19 PM
I have a river boat utility so it wont concern me !!!! LOL

Big Schnizz
04-12-2013, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. I am sure it will be plenty good for me. Going to be nice to be able to keep some fish also. The price is right and I hear the lodge is great. I got a big boat so should not be a problem. the home bay is not that big so hang out in there if I have too.

When I was there 2 years ago in August that's what we had to do. The weather/wind was not good so we never ventured out onto the main lake. We were there in August and had no problem catching pike - worked for a little bit to find them but if you listen to Duane/Val, they'll tell you where to try. We never caught any walleye, but I'm pretty sure by August they've vacated that area. You'll likely still have a chance at some in that area in July. Duane is also a master pike filleter. I think he charges $2 a fish and he's great to learn from.

Gord
04-12-2013, 09:17 PM
Duane and Val are great. For walleye, leave the home bay and turn left along the shoreline. If I remember correctly about a mile after you leave the home bay there is some structure there where the lake goes from 8 to 20 feet. Deep diver rapalas were the answer

aulrich
04-15-2013, 11:23 AM
Just to wet the apatite, I got a report on the weekend that one of the locals (good fiends with the in-laws) pulled a 16 lb wally though the ice this past winter, i'll see if I can get pics.

Safety D
04-15-2013, 12:50 PM
Cant wait to give it a go. I know I am gonna slam em !!!!