PDA

View Full Version : Info on storing auger for the year

tonypower
04-13-2013, 08:50 PM
I got an auger for Christmas and want to make sure it's running next year the same way it does now. I burnt almost all the gas, maybe it will run for another five minutes. My question is what do I have to do to it before I store it for the summer. Go I just let it run out of gas and then put it away? Do I really need to use that smoke stuff? I don't want to hurt my baby. Lol

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
04-13-2013, 11:31 PM
I don't know what kind of auger you have but get some fuel stabilizer mix it in with your oil and fill it full and hang it so it sits upright . LEtting it sit dry isn't a good thing . I did that once and ended up rebuilding the carb , as it gets sticky and gross .

deanmc
04-13-2013, 11:38 PM
Always had better luck storing it full of gas.

Is it a two stroke?if so what type of mix oil? Most of the good mix oils have stabilizer already.

AppleJax
04-14-2013, 07:06 AM
Don't leave gas in it. Drain the tank and run it out of gas and you will be fine. Leaving pre mixed fuel for long intervals is a bad idea fuel stabilizer or not. Pre mixed fuel actually breaks down quicker.

192 whitey
04-14-2013, 07:15 AM
Don't leave gas in it. Drain the tank and run it out of gas and you will be fine. Leaving pre mixed fuel for long intervals is a bad idea fuel stabilizer or not. Pre mixed fuel actually breaks down quicker.

X2

Fil_Can_Yakker
04-14-2013, 08:01 AM
now im confused :argue2:

full or empty?

pikeslayer22
04-14-2013, 08:02 AM
X-3 on not leaving gas in it...I pour whatever is left in tank out and run until it stalls...I also pull and clean plug and clean up whatever oil or grease on the exterior...I also touchup any paint chips to keep it looking new! Take both sets of blades in for sharpening so ready for next season!

lannie
04-14-2013, 08:31 AM
I don't know what kind of auger you have but get some fuel stabilizer mix it in with your oil and fill it full and hang it so it sits upright . LEtting it sit dry isn't a good thing . I did that once and ended up rebuilding the carb , as it gets sticky and gross .

Letting it sit dry is actually sitting with an empty carb. Sticky and gross is with fuel in the carb. When you have run it dry close the vent on the gas tank cap too. I have been running gas powered tools dry for years and have never suffered adverse problems. Never have bought stabilizer but if you do add some you still need to run the engine after adding it until the carb would have stabilizer through out it.

deanmc
04-14-2013, 08:42 AM
now im confused :argue2:

full or empty?

Thats what you get when you ask a question on AO. lol We would argue over black and white.

Truth is there is almost no difference and as long as you use stabilizer and try to store it in a dry place out of the sun it will likely be fine either way. The rest is preference.

buckmaster
04-14-2013, 08:46 AM
X-3 on not leaving gas in it...I pour whatever is left in tank out and run until it stalls...I also pull and clean plug and clean up whatever oil or grease on the exterior...I also touchup any paint chips to keep it looking new! Take both sets of blades in for sharpening so ready for next season!

X4, i also spray some fogging fluid spray into the cylinder head and carb.

Fil_Can_Yakker
04-14-2013, 08:49 AM
Thats what you get when you ask a question on AO. lol We would argue over black and white.

Truth is there is almost no difference and as long as you use stabilizer and try to store it in a dry place out of the sun it will likely be fine either way. The rest is preference.

lol guess have to wait for more posts!!! chime in guys:test:

AppleJax
04-14-2013, 08:51 AM
X4, i also spray some fogging fluid spray into the cylinder head and carb.

That's a good tip as well. Fogging oil will prevent any rust build up from condensation. There is no arument, leaving gas in the machine is a bad idea.

Zanzibar
04-14-2013, 09:29 AM
If you leave the fuel in it, just start it once a month or so, and get it warmed up a bit. It gets fresh gas through it, and you get a little fix of two stroke smoke.

owlhoot
04-14-2013, 10:52 AM
I drain the fuel and fog it also, The old Jiffy is on its 25th year

bessiedog
04-14-2013, 11:21 AM
So.... My New Jiffy (and it actually works well), does not take mixed gas

I'm figuring it needs to special storage treatment? Kindof like my lawn
Mowers?

Mayhem
04-14-2013, 11:33 AM
That's a good tip as well. Fogging oil will prevent any rust build up from condensation. There is no arument, leaving gas in the machine is a bad idea.

X5...always stored my auger this way.

lannie
04-14-2013, 11:33 AM
So.... My New Jiffy (and it actually works well), does not take mixed gas

I'm figuring it needs to special storage treatment? Kindof like my lawn
Mowers?

I would get the gas out or is it propane? Change the oil before you use it every year. Not anything special.

bessiedog
04-14-2013, 11:46 AM
It's just gas.

Just run it dry? I'm assuming it's very similar to my lawn mowers... (I've never owned a power auger, got this for Xmas, and I had no idea they ran non mixed gas!)

And I do next to nothing for my mowers.

lannie
04-14-2013, 11:49 AM
It's just gas.

Just run it dry? I'm assuming it's very similar to my lawn mowers... (I've never owned a power auger, got this for Xmas, and I had no idea they ran non mixed gas!)

And I do next to nothing for my mowers.

Truth is I push the mower in the garage at the end of that season. In the spring if it does not start I go fishing! win win!

waterninja
04-14-2013, 12:11 PM
Truth is I push the mower in the garage at the end of that season. In the spring if it does not start I go fishing! win win!
i love your solution lannie. way things are going we won't have to worry about starting a lawnmower till june.

Retired
04-14-2013, 03:01 PM
Drain the gas and run it dry....pull the plug(s)...clean and fog.... >>> i left gas in one year and the gas line went all soft and particles got in the carb resulting in a major clean up ($$$$$)

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
04-14-2013, 04:25 PM
I have had 3 jiffy augers had the legend , ever since when grandpa and I ice fished or when I was young my dad we always left the gas in our augers never an issue as long as you left them standing up . I always did that and always thought the pat was what you did . I'd start it two or three times over the summer , even when I got rid of them because simply no time over the winter to get out like I used to . But none the less I always put that jiffy fuel stabizer / oil mix in with our fuel and never looked back or had issues , except the one time we took the fuel out .

But then again I do a lot of things differently but they work .

X bolt
04-14-2013, 04:58 PM

The stabilizer does not have the same effect in a two stroke that it has in a 4 stroke. The fuel and oil sitting in the carb have a neg. effect on the diaphragm and makes it hard and stiff when left over time. The stabilizer will help with octane loss and crystallization of the fuel in jets but the diaphragm will still get stiff. All two strokes should have the fuel dumped out if they have a diaphragm type carb and run them until the quit.

Map Maker
04-14-2013, 05:05 PM
if its a metal gas tank, i would fill the tank up with stabilized gas and store straight up. This will stop the gas tank from rusting.
I had to go thru that with a motorcycle tank. Not fun.

If its a plastic tank, i would run it dry with with stabilized gas and then a couple drops of oil down the piston. Just like like Honda manuals say.

Kokanee9
04-14-2013, 06:58 PM

Empty the tank and then let it run dry to get any final gas in the lines and carb out. The gas dries up and leaves a gummy residue behind that has to be cleaned out. If there is no gas in it to do this, you wont have a problem.

If a full tank of gas was the best thing, it would be shipped from the factory like that. They leave it empty because it could be sitting in a warehouse or on a shelf for a while.

Esox
04-14-2013, 07:12 PM
[QUOTE=Kokanee9;1930579

If a full tank of gas was the best thing, it would be shipped from the factory like that. They leave it empty because it could be sitting in a warehouse or on a shelf for a while.[/QUOTE]

My guess is that the bigger reason for coming empty is surrounding the different requirements/regulations and costs to ship them with fuel.

Speckle55
04-14-2013, 08:39 PM
for over 20 years i just put it away standing up

never had a problem

David:)

Moosetalker
04-14-2013, 10:16 PM
Empty, Run dry, light spray of oil in cyl. Store. I use fuel stabilizer in all my gas when its close to put away time as well.

I do this to every engine that will sit unused for more than a few months. 16 2 stroke engines, and 15 4 strokes.
I don't want to mess with an engine that wont start come spring . I know that I can fill any of mine with fresh gas and they will go.

Repair shop,s charge $95.00-$110.00 per hour now and when its in there its costing money not making it. :sign0161:

Rafter1
04-15-2013, 12:46 AM
The Jiffy manual says store with fuel tank empty

Bigdad013
04-15-2013, 05:52 AM
As a couple of others have said. I start up mine every month, for a couple of minutes, this goes for my lawn mower and weed wacker, never had an issue, i also leave it standing. Lawn mower is 33 yrs old, weed wacker is 10 yrs ols and auger 10. I always leave them with fuel in. Maybe just been lucky, but works for me. Plus you get some good looks from the neighbours when you start up the lawn mower in January and there is a foot of snow outside

Sooner
04-15-2013, 10:40 PM
15 plus years of putting it away standing up, vent closed and nothing else. I unplug the spark plug cap and then once a month, give it a few pulls to lube the cylinder. Still fires right up every winter and runs great.

mayuan
04-15-2013, 10:58 PM
15 plus years of putting it away standing up, vent closed and nothing else. I unplug the spark plug cap and then once a month, give it a few pulls to lube the cylinder. Still fires right up every winter and runs great.

4yrs same way with no issues. Next year when I head out I just top off the gas and oil.

Isopod
04-16-2013, 01:48 AM
Lookup the directions for storing your auger online. 100% sure it will say to drain all fuel and run the engine until the engine dies to ensure there is no fuel left in the carb. It's great that others have left fuel in the tank without problems, but that's kind of like the proverbial 100 year-old uncle who smokes 3 packs a day -- it happens, but it's not recommended.