PDA

View Full Version : Salmon/Halibut fishing

diamond k
04-19-2013, 10:28 PM
I have been out to the coast a few times but would like to make a trip myself. I have an 18ft boat with downriggers and all set up. where would you guys suggest for a guy wanting to do it him self. just don't have the 5 or 6 grand for me and the wife this year to go guided.

Jamie
04-19-2013, 11:57 PM
I have been out to the coast a few times but would like to make a trip myself. I have an 18ft boat with downriggers and all set up. where would you guys suggest for a guy wanting to do it him self. just don't have the 5 or 6 grand for me and the wife this year to go guided.

Diamond, though we are rapidly running out of any room at the Loge, you are welcome to bring your boat out to Prince Rupert and enjoy the lodge.
You would be treated as a lodge guest, but yet do your own fishing.
Your welcome to pick our guides brins and they would be more than willing to help.

If our times match up, i am sure we could come up with something.

Take care
Jamie

diamond k
04-21-2013, 08:53 PM
Thanks Jamie,

I might have to take you up on it. I was hoping to take my motorhome but it does not look like I will have too much luck finding a place close to coast where I can park the rig and not have to pull boat out regularly. You might have to set up a couple of spots fro motorhomes you might lake a killing.

Serengeti Charters
04-21-2013, 08:59 PM
There is a RV park in Port Hardy about 2 minute drive from marina. Could be something to look at. Sheltered fishing 2 min from dock as well for your 18fter.

diamond k
04-21-2013, 09:14 PM
I see there are a couple. Do you happen to know which one is close to Marina and are there slips available for rent at the marina?

mooseknuckle
04-21-2013, 09:26 PM
Diamond, though we are rapidly running out of any room at the Loge, you are welcome to bring your boat out to Prince Rupert and enjoy the lodge.
You would be treated as a lodge guest, but yet do your own fishing.
Your welcome to pick our guides brins and they would be more than willing to help.

If our times match up, i am sure we could come up with something.

Take care
Jamie

Not likely to get a better offer than that!! That's really cool of you Jamie.

Serengeti Charters
04-22-2013, 10:05 AM
I see there are a couple. Do you happen to know which one is close to Marina and are there slips available for rent at the marina?

It used to be called sunny sanctuary and now I think just port hardy campground? But not 100% on that. 800m from marina essentially. Can show you how to fish the local spots on your charts as well. Duval, castle and a few others decently close can really produce Mid june-mid aug

Bound2Fish
04-22-2013, 10:35 AM
And its stuff like the posts above that make this such a great forum.

Kim473
04-22-2013, 11:13 AM
:sHa_shakeshout:Bravo, bravo ! Good on you Jamie.

Mark
04-26-2013, 02:11 PM

Try Bamfield or Tofino. I've always had a great time and good success in both places. The road into Bamfield can be quite crappy, but the drive to Tofino is beautiful and paved all the way.

All that said, Jaime's offer really can't be beat. I've fished the Prince Rupert area and have never been disappointed. Shelter fishing through-out, unlike the west side of the VI. Fishing has been a pleasurable. Fishing on the west side VI can be downright nasty at times. Also, the fishing pressure seems a whole lot less also. Fishing westside VI can get really busy and lots of crowds to deal with couple with people who's boating educate leave much to be desired.

In short, I'd take up Jamie’s offer in a heart beat

50/50
04-26-2013, 02:25 PM
You can park in the campground in Rupert and it would be a 1/2 mile walk/cab ride to where you would moore your boat at fairview docks. Moorage is very cheap.

As an added bonus ,the fish fertilizer plant doesn't process anymore so it doesn't smell like it use to.

You just have to launch 8 km away as there is only 1 boat launch in Rupert, then move your motorhome to camground.

Icallwalleyepickerel
04-26-2013, 09:21 PM
You can park in the campground in Rupert and it would be a 1/2 mile walk/cab ride to where you would moore your boat at fairview docks. Moorage is very cheap.

As an added bonus ,the fish fertilizer plant doesn't process anymore so it doesn't smell like it use to.

You just have to launch 8 km away as there is only 1 boat launch in Rupert, then move your motorhome to camground.

The only problem is the camping in Rupert...not really a family kind of getaway. Camping within 20 feet of the next guy, no tree cover to speak of, and everyone is getting ready to board the ferry to Q.C.I., which means they are packing up and leaving at 6am (and all the noise associated with that).

Been there, done that. The only good thing about that campground are the showers. Great for a run across the strait on the ferry (nice and close), but I wouldn't recommend a family vaca there.

VI is better for a family vacation, lots and lots of options. You can decide to move from place A to place B if you like. In Rupert, you better be there to fish!

If you really want a great family vacation, get on the ferry to Q.C.I. All I can say is wow. We want to go back, hopefully one day. Greatest family vacation ever.

Agb Crash
04-26-2013, 10:04 PM
Camp and launch in Port edward.
Fish the same areas

Sea Hawk
04-26-2013, 10:22 PM
Port edward is great. ou can walk from the campground to the marina. the campgroung will be full of fisherman.

fisher Gord
04-27-2013, 08:30 AM
Check out Port Renfrew west side of Vancouver island. Couple of campgrounds
some great fishing just outside the bay.crabbing the bay. going there the first 2 weeks of Aug.