PDA

View Full Version : Best Time of Year for Sturgeon?

Jonny O
04-21-2013, 05:45 PM
Hey Guys,

I just had a Bday a while back and my Girlfriend and Family were cool enough to buy me a sturgeon fishing trip on the Fraser River. They've got it booked through a guiding service already but with no specific time yet. I've never done this before and don't know a lot about it. What time of year is the best? I would assume late summer or early fall?

I'll obviously talk to the guiding outfit as well, but I was hoping to get some opinions from you guys too.

Thanks a lot for any info!

Acesneights
04-21-2013, 05:53 PM
A few buddies and I have booked a trip on the Fraser and everything I've heard is anytime in September.

mooseknuckle
04-21-2013, 05:57 PM
Fall for sure. Sept-oct is what I've heard. Great bday present you will have a great time!!

Thunder Elk Hunter
04-21-2013, 07:32 PM
Neighbour had some great pictures of ones they caught last week. They did caught some big ones and in two day caught over 20.

fishpro
04-21-2013, 08:02 PM
September to November will be best - I booked with STS guiding before and Vic (the owner) told me the absolute best time is mid October to mid November.

fish gunner
04-21-2013, 08:12 PM
Late In the fall is best as thats when the salmon carcass become available. This localize's the big ones and makes them easier to find. It also makes bait choice easy.

The-Legend
04-21-2013, 08:16 PM
I have a trip booked for June 30th with great river outfitters fishing in the Fraser canyon.. Great wedding gift thanks wifey!! Will I have much luck or is the fall the best like everyone is saying??

fish gunner
04-21-2013, 08:36 PM
I have a trip booked for June 30th with great river outfitters fishing in the Fraser canyon.. Great wedding gift thanks wifey!! Will I have much luck or is the fall the best like everyone is saying??

High water some years. Your going to get fish no worries there. Just not as easy to find in numbers as in low water with dead salmon on bottom .

The-Legend
04-21-2013, 08:58 PM
High water some years. Your going to get fish no worries there. Just not as easy to find in numbers as in low water with dead salmon on bottom .

Makes sense thanks!

Double Header
04-21-2013, 10:25 PM
Regarding your sturgeon fishing questions....... I'm a fishing guide on the Fraser River, and grew up in the area. From time to time I visit fishing forums to see what's shaking. Thought I'd share my thoughts. First of all, it is pretty sweet when you get a decent size fish on We call them poor mans marlin. They can be caught year round. Best times are August through November. Reason why, is salmon runs. Sturgeon are ocean going fish, and the big boys follow the salmon up the river. Other reason is when the water warms up, you get way more jumpers, which is the fun part. Mid November to about end of April, even May, you get hardly any jumpers. The sturgeon become lathargic (sp?) when the water gets cold and don't fight as good. The spring time used to be good until the oolichons stopped showing up. No oolichons, no big fish. Big fish need to eat! U still get some decent fish, but the avg. size is nothing like in the fall. Mid May to mid July can be real iffy, because of the freshet. The river blows out. All kinds of things floating down the river. Grass, trees, dead cows, etc. Crap getting hung up on your line all the time, and quite often need to use 2lbs of lead to keep the bait down When the water is on the rise, can be real tough fishing. I only guide during what I consider prime season, which is August 1st to November 15th. I have another business so don't realy on this to put food on the table. June is spawning month for sturgeon, and it's no secret where they spawn. Lot of the hero guides will sit below the spawning areas waiting for the big mamas to show up. Sturgeon don't reach spawning age until about 30yrs. of age. I prefer to leave them alone and do their thing, or target some of the "smaller" fish down stream. At the end of the day, it's still fishing and you can have good and not so great days......

waterninja
04-21-2013, 10:33 PM
congrats on that sweet b-day present. being a sturgeon virgin i have no advice for you other than check with your guide and have a great time. i'd go in the fall just because the weather is so nice in the lower mainland then.

diamond k
04-21-2013, 10:44 PM
Great info ThanksRegarding your sturgeon fishing questions....... I'm a fishing guide on the Fraser River, and grew up in the area. From time to time I visit fishing forums to see what's shaking. Thought I'd share my thoughts. First of all, it is pretty sweet when you get a decent size fish on We call them poor mans marlin. They can be caught year round. Best times are August through November. Reason why, is salmon runs. Sturgeon are ocean going fish, and the big boys follow the salmon up the river. Other reason is when the water warms up, you get way more jumpers, which is the fun part. Mid November to about end of April, even May, you get hardly any jumpers. The sturgeon become lathargic (sp?) when the water gets cold and don't fight as good. The spring time used to be good until the oolichons stopped showing up. No oolichons, no big fish. Big fish need to eat! U still get some decent fish, but the avg. size is nothing like in the fall. Mid May to mid July can be real iffy, because of the freshet. The river blows out. All kinds of things floating down the river. Grass, trees, dead cows, etc. Crap getting hung up on your line all the time, and quite often need to use 2lbs of lead to keep the bait down When the water is on the rise, can be real tough fishing. I only guide during what I consider prime season, which is August 1st to November 15th. I have another business so don't realy on this to put food on the table. June is spawning month for sturgeon, and it's no secret where they spawn. Lot of the hero guides will sit below the spawning areas waiting for the big mamas to show up. Sturgeon don't reach spawning age until about 30yrs. of age. I prefer to leave them alone and do their thing, or target some of the "smaller" fish down stream. At the end of the day, it's still fishing and you can have good and not so great days......

Red Neck
04-22-2013, 11:06 AM
Fall is genrally a good time to fish most rivers for most speices. Dont over think this and remember rule #1 (a bad day of fishing is better than?_____ ) fill in blank. What a great gifft, you may have a keeper their:):)
Red Neck Out :scared0018:

Jonny O
04-23-2013, 11:10 AM
Thanks for all the input Guys! Hopefully I'll have some pics to post soon!

Safety D
04-24-2013, 08:58 AM
Aug 20 to Sept 30th !!!!!!! prime time and its a pink year !!!!!

Vic Carrao
04-24-2013, 08:15 PM
Here is aFraser River fishing report by a forum sponsor.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?p=1943713#post1943713

The Fisherman Guy
04-24-2013, 10:16 PM
We just got back from the Fraser valley on Sunday, after our annual Sturgeon trip.

This year was better than the last fishing wise, and we added a round of golf.

We fished with BC Sport Fishing Group http://www.bcsportfishinggroup.com/and Blue Water Rockies http://www.riversportfishing.com/ Both great guides and friendly groups to deal with, and we all caught a bunch of fish. In two days we caught 23 meters of White Sturgeon!

We tagged a few fish, and lost a monster that we chased with the boat for 20 minutes. Man, NOTHING gets your blood going like a Sturgeon blasting upstream while you spook about getting spooled. How about snapping 150lb braid?!!

Anytime of year the Sturgeon fishing on the Fraser is good; some times are better than others, but there's always a chance to latch into 7, 8, 9 or 12 footer no matter what time of year you go. Last year we fished in late March and caught only a few fish the first day, one of them happened to be 7ft 2.

No matter what time of year you go to the Fraser to chase Sturgeon - there's always fish like this waiting for you: https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/381500_10151574821084653_1220425512_n.jpg

oh, and the golf was cheap and top notch. This photo was taken four days ago.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/407052_10151574828219653_153263420_n.jpg

Labguy
04-25-2013, 03:36 PM
gooday, been to the fraser about 12 times , best time is from sept. till nov. , this is when they fatten up, salmon the best lure, or ditch eels,the more rotten the better and sockeye is the culpret, of many fish over 7 ft. being hooked.plus this is when all the black berries are ready, yummy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!nothing like eating black berries with rotten salmon on your mitts,the salmon juice actually soak' s into your hand's , you'll be able to enjoy the lingering smell for day's, been with a few guides, but gotta say dean with great river fishing , is second to none,knows the river like the back of his hand, and knows how to land your fish, the most important things are set your own hook , bait your own hook, and land your own fish, if not ,stay AT HOME WATCH IT ON TV:bad_boys_20:if anyone sets the hook then reel it in, some people don't agree , but look at it this way i'll take you hunting show you a 200 mulie , i shoot it , i gut it ,i cape it, and tag it , you go tell everyone what cha gott!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:sHa_sarcasticlol:why would i pay money and time to watch someone set my fish,WOULD NEVER HAPPEN!:sHa_shakeshout:feel's sooooooo good when you know in your heart , that you yourself did it,:sHa_shakeshout: