PDA

View Full Version : ice fishing report april 22

waterninja
04-22-2013, 11:47 PM
so i headed out to a lake by barrhead that regs. on this site are famillar with. i was worried about the ice so i wore a life jacket just in case. no problem. ice was a constant 21" thick in different spots on lake with the bottom 13" dark and hard. visibility about 5 feet and a little cloudy. caught 6 rainbows and kept 4 to deep fry in a new beer batter recipe. we have at least 1-2 weeks left of hard water. it was a nice day but the wind was bad at times.
amasing the color differenses between the males and females. should have mentioned that the water was very fresh and even the weeds from the bottom were fresh. i've fished some "skunky" lakes in the last couple months so this was nice.

lots of game moving around. saw about 20 deer, 3 moose and a fox (which was kind of neat)

Bhflyfisher
04-22-2013, 11:54 PM
13" of ice makes me sad... Nice fish though, i'll be spending a bit of time at the lake this year.

Speckle55
04-23-2013, 12:01 AM
Grats Nice Bows aaahhh spring fishing love the colors

David:)

HunterDave
04-23-2013, 12:05 AM
Nice looking trout.....congrats! I like to head out that way once in awhile. :)

PS Be careful on that ice man.

Penner
04-24-2013, 12:22 PM
It’s not so much how thick the ice is at this time of year it’s more about the quality of the ice. When it starts to honeycomb and or melt along the shoreline is when one has to worry. Cloudiness of the water is usually a leading indicator the ice is beginning to worsen.

Alberta Bigbore
04-24-2013, 12:27 PM
Nice colors on those fish.