PDA

View Full Version : Boating Requirements

Bhflyfisher
04-23-2013, 04:07 PM
I've searched this topic a few times in the forum and through google, and am having trouble coming up with results. Anyways, open water is around the corner, and I'm stocking my boat with the things it needs.

I bought one of the safety kit that includes buoyant rope, bailer, whistle, and flashlight, i also have the lifejacket required. Is there anything else we as boaters need?

Bigdad013
04-23-2013, 04:11 PM
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-equipment-size-less6m-1791.htm

Lornce
04-23-2013, 04:13 PM
When you take your boating exam there is a comprehensive list of needs for various size boats.

trapshooter
04-23-2013, 04:27 PM
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-equipment-size-less6m-1791.htm

Thanks for the link, was also looking for something like this.

Bhflyfisher
04-23-2013, 04:30 PM
When you take your boating exam there is a comprehensive list of needs for various size boats.

I took the boaters exam 3 years ago, and passed. But i completely forgot about what is needed. And to be honest, i've never had the safety requirements (besides life jackets) on the bigger boat I've had. Very bad on my part, but I have had some buddies get written up hard for not having everything they need, and i dont get payed well enough to be stupid enough to risk getting the heavy ticket.

Thanks though for the link. Exactly what i was looking for but for some reason couldnt come up with it myself.

Big Schnizz
04-23-2013, 05:02 PM
I think most those little kits you can buy can cover you off pretty well. Although you still need paddles or an anchor with at least 50 feet of line I believe. A few other requirements are out there that depend on the boat/motor. I'm actually trying to figure out right now if I need a reboarding device. I got checked last year on a boat that wasn't mine and thankfully never got a ticket for that reason. I just bought a fairly deep aluminum boat and wondering if it's needed. I would have to think the transom of the boat is within a foot and a half of the water level so it should be ok I hope.

BeeGuy
04-23-2013, 05:48 PM
The requirements are dependent on your type of vessel.

Bhflyfisher
04-23-2013, 05:48 PM
I think most those little kits you can buy can cover you off pretty well. Although you still need paddles or an anchor with at least 50 feet of line I believe. A few other requirements are out there that depend on the boat/motor. I'm actually trying to figure out right now if I need a reboarding device. I got checked last year on a boat that wasn't mine and thankfully never got a ticket for that reason. I just bought a fairly deep aluminum boat and wondering if it's needed. I would have to think the transom of the boat is within a foot and a half of the water level so it should be ok I hope.

Only need a reboating device if your sides are higher then 0.5m, i dont know how exactly you'd go about measuring that accurately. The safety kit does cover your most bases for a small craft.

Big Schnizz
04-23-2013, 06:06 PM
Only need a reboating device if your sides are higher then 0.5m, i dont know how exactly you'd go about measuring that accurately. The safety kit does cover your most bases for a small craft.

I feel like my sides will probably be higher than that out of the water. I don't know for sure as the boat has never been in the water yet. What about the transom area around the motor as that is a lot lower. Would that qualify as an area that is less than 0.5 m or is it for sure the sides?

LandonC
04-23-2013, 06:11 PM
I wrote the exam yesterday. I'll log in when I get home from work and can post that info if needed.

Lornce
04-23-2013, 06:23 PM
Good list for various boat sizes in the exam study book.

Bigdad013
04-23-2013, 06:38 PM
A reboarding device is only required if the vertical height that must be climbed to reboard the pleasure craft from the water is over 0.5 m (1’8”).

I'm assuming that crawling in from the transom would be allowed. Plus you can use the leg of the motor to step up on. I know, make sure the engine is off..lol

LandonC
04-23-2013, 08:09 PM
Re-boarding Devices
Vessels that have more than 0.5m of freeboard are required to have some sort of re-boarding device onboard to allow a person who is in the water to get back into the boat. This requirement can be met with either a transom ladder or a swim platform ladder. Re-boarding devices must be separate from the propulsion unit. Freeboard is measured from the waterline to the gunwale.
Manual Propelling Device
A manual propelling device can mean a set of oars, a paddle, or any other apparatus that can be used by a person to propel a vessel by hand. It is important to ensure that the manual propelling device is strong enough for its intended use. For example, a 1m plastic oar is not of sufficient strength to propel a 12m fishing boat.
Bailers and Manual Water Pumps
A bailer refers to a container that is capable of removing water from a small vessel. A bailer must be made of plastic or metal, have an opening of at least 65cm2 and be capable of holding at least 750mL of water. Some boats may carry a manual water pump in place of a bailer. If this is the case for your boat, the pump along with its hose must be long enough to reach from the bilge to the boat's side and be capable of discharging water over the side of the boat.
NOTE: Larger vessels are usually equipped with mechanical bilge pumping arrangements that are very fast and effective at removing water from the bilge.
Fire Buckets
The Canadian Small Vessel Regulations require larger vessels to carry fire bucket(s) onboard in case of a fire emergency. These buckets must have a round bottom with a hole in the center, be red in colour, and must have a capacity of 10L or more in order to be approved. They should feature a line attached which is long enough to reach the water from the gunwale.
Fire Extinguishers
Fire extinguishers are also required onboard. They are classified according to the type and size of fire they can handle.
Axe
An axe is required on larger recreational boats (usually over 12m) as safety equipment. It can be used in emergency situations to cut tow lines or other ropes. The axe must be in a readily accessible location on the boat and protected from the elements.

rielbowhunter
04-23-2013, 08:41 PM
Last spring at ghost lake, I got a warning about a the fire extinguisher, good thing I was still in the parking and I had one in my truck. I had all the other safety gear.

BeeGuy
04-23-2013, 09:01 PM
You have cooking facilities onboard?

Sweet...

LandonC
04-23-2013, 09:09 PM
boats under 6m require a fire extinguisher if they have an inboard engine, or a fixed fuel tank or a cooking or heating appliance

Bigdad013
04-23-2013, 09:10 PM
I would guess permanent tank or an inboard

Iskra
04-23-2013, 09:24 PM
Every year you can pick up free booklet from C Tire called Safe boating or something similar. Read it and stay on top what is required. That way you can refresh your memory on safe boating every year.

rielbowhunter
04-23-2013, 09:49 PM

rielbowhunter
04-23-2013, 09:51 PM
You have cooking facilities onboard?

Sweet...

nope, but I do have a heater and defrost. LOL
and a inboard jet