PDA

View Full Version : rock island and calling lake size/limit issue

fishtank
04-24-2013, 07:26 PM
so thinking hitting up these lakes on the same day, since the new reg only allow 1 wally @ calling(45-55cm), i saw that you can keep one @ rock island (50cm+ )as well. the only issue i have is that ....is there a way that when i do catch my slot size @ both places, how would i prove that the fish is from rock island, and from calling ??

AppleJax
04-24-2013, 07:45 PM
Shore lunch on Rock Island before you head to Calling....:)

Walleyemagnet
04-24-2013, 08:55 PM
I fish both of these lakes in the same day quite often. Just take lots of pictures. If you catch a keeper at Rock Island, gut it and gill it there and throw it on ice in a cooler in your vehicle. Make sure you take a picture of the fish in the cooler at Rock Island. Whatever you do, don't keep it in your live-well when you go to Calling. I saw one guy do this and he was surprised when he got flack from the C.O. at Calling. Better yet is if you see a C.O. when you arrive at Calling from Rock, show him the fish in the cooler that you caught at Rock with picture proof to back it up even before you launch at Calling.

Kim473
04-25-2013, 04:15 AM
Go only to one lake and catch your fish, go home. Or eat the one fish and go to the other lake. Some F&G would be sure to give you a fine or at least a very hard time if you did anything else. Not worth the risk of a fine and get on there most wanted list.

Pikebreath
04-25-2013, 06:32 AM
Page 18 of the 2013 regs spells it out plainly.

"...When you are fishing at any lake or stream , you may not have in your possession more fish than the limit, or fish other than those of legal size, for the lake or stream being fished."

Eat the Rock Island fish first, or go home, before you fish Calling Lake.

Safety D
04-25-2013, 09:01 AM
You can buy a mess of Walleye fillets from billingsgate for the amount of fuel your going to burn driving all over the place to catch 2 fish. Seems goofy to me.

Red Neck
04-25-2013, 12:22 PM
First off we never try and justify any fishing trip based on cost because it will never work in our favor:snapoutofit: I have fished up there for many many years and often. We have camped at Rock Island and kept fish from the calling river outlet at the athabasca river. Take photos and clip a fin to help confirm were the fish came from. River is 3 fish over 50, we have been checked and this worked with no probles?? Just go fish and enjoy:sHa_shakeshout:

Jamie Black R/T
04-25-2013, 01:14 PM
You can buy a mess of Walleye fillets from billingsgate for the amount of fuel your going to burn driving all over the place to catch 2 fish. Seems goofy to me.

Can you catch and release a 100 fish a day at billingsgate too?:thinking-006:

im surprised this concept is lost on a guy who has fished every single body of water in the province....and managed to find it was devoid of life each and every time (or so it seems) :sHa_sarcasticlol:

fishtank
04-25-2013, 04:08 PM
yeah it's not really about the money i just want to fish and seeing that they are really close i want to hit up both on the same day, i already planned shore lunch , bring the coleman BBQ and some marinated short ribs, kabobs...and wally fillets+fresh cilantro, garlic ,butter in tin foil on the grill .

Red Neck
04-25-2013, 04:27 PM
$$$$PRICELESS $$$$:character0053:[/FONT]

Bazinga44
04-25-2013, 09:44 PM
Not to derail the thread, but which of these two lakes do you guys prefer? I've been to Calling lots but I'm thinking I might have to give Rock Island a try.

Safety D
04-26-2013, 09:19 AM
Once you have hooked into an 8 foot fraser river frieight train you wont be thinking about a little dumb walleye.....

Mike_W
04-26-2013, 09:27 AM
yeah it's not really about the money i just want to fish and seeing that they are really close i want to hit up both on the same day, i already planned shore lunch , bring the coleman BBQ and some marinated short ribs, kabobs...and wally fillets+fresh cilantro, garlic ,butter in tin foil on the grill .

Sounds like a pretty wicked shore lunch ....when and where?:)

moose 2
04-26-2013, 12:34 PM
Once you have hooked into an 8 foot fraser river frieight train you wont be thinking about a little dumb walleye.....

you eat your 8 foot freight train and will eat our little walleyes lol

baptiste_moose
04-26-2013, 12:46 PM
Take a picture of the fish on shore at rock island then leave it in a cooler on ice in your truck. Don't bring it in the boat on calling. These days I perfer rock island but it's a fishermans lake! You gotta know structure and where the fish hang. Very dependant on water temp at that lake. Just going out and pulling blades won't necessarily get you your fish.

Safety D
04-26-2013, 01:12 PM
Hey baptiste moose did the campsite open back up ? Sure a nice spot !!

baptiste_moose
04-26-2013, 01:29 PM
Nope. Still closed. Native land so it will remain closed.

Northern Yaker
04-26-2013, 02:52 PM
Rock Island campground?? Was open last year when I was there...

Northern Yaker
04-26-2013, 02:54 PM
http://opportunity17.civicwebcms.com/sites/opportunity17.civicwebcms.com/files/media/Rock%20Island%20Lake%20Campground%20-%20Sep%202011.pdf

fishtank
04-26-2013, 02:59 PM
Sounds like a pretty wicked shore lunch ....when and where?:)
if everything go as planned opening day shooting for june 1st:sHa_shakeshout:
probably on the ben auger park side( north east calling) cause it's closer to rock island

Safety D
04-26-2013, 03:25 PM
Sounds like the campground is open. Wooo hoo !!! Nice spot just from what I remember the boat launch was kinda crappy

schmedlap
04-26-2013, 06:45 PM
I was at Rock Island last August. Too hot and calm for the fishing to be great ( a lot of work finding the depth, spots, and tactics to get a few), but VERY nice campground. And the boat launch was not "fancy", but much better than some I've been too - firm base and at least one doesn't have to back out a ways to get water - fairly deep close in. The only issue was firewood - there was none. Since the place was almost deserted (weekdays) we just had to scavenge it from the leftovers at other sites, and we accumulated more than enough. But if you are camping there when it is busy, might be wise to haul some of your own, or you might be driving a ways to get a load of deadfall "off-site" (?).:bad_boys_20:

Walleyemagnet
04-27-2013, 12:08 PM
If you plan to catch walleyes at Rock Island, you'll need to get there early and have a good bag of tricks. It's fun if you know what's up but it can be frustrating too but that adds to the fun factor. Don't expect to catch a ton there unless you've done some homework. "Fishermen's Lake"? Good description, Dorin.

hwilhelm
04-28-2013, 10:15 AM
Be very careful at Rock Island, off the end of the islands the rocks extend out just below the surface of the water! I have seen several guys hit these and do major damage !
Go in and out of the launch very slow, watched one guy bend his trailer axle there. Also out from the launch to the left is a big rock, bent my prop on the dang thing!
Jigs and minnows or leaches work as do bottom bouncers with giant worms.