PDA

View Full Version : Shipping large gun in case

ToXicXxX
04-25-2013, 01:55 PM
Can I just zip tie and tape the case and ship it like that? Finding a box large enough is impossible...

MK2750
04-25-2013, 02:51 PM
I ship them in hard cases all the time, but I wrap them in brown paper and tape them up very good with packing tape. If you are talking soft case, I wouldn't.

The logic is that if some identifies it as a gun case, they are more likely to steal it. I could be wrong but I believe it is Canada post policy, so they may not except it and there may even be a law involved if it is identifiable as a firearm.

Having said that, I had a guy sent me a $2500 Gibson Guitar in a case marked Gibson and piece of paper with my address stuck on with two pieces of duct tape. It made it OK.

Just last week I received a Sage rod in it's original case with just the post office sticker on it.

I think it is asking for trouble. I see people with expensive stuff in the back of their truck all the time and once a month or so they come on here complaining that someone has stolen it. At least if it is out of site or unidentifiable you are not tempting anyone.

heybert
04-25-2013, 03:03 PM
Go to a WSS or a Golf store and ask for boxes. Should be able to get one. If you're in WSS, don't ask the guys at the gun counter, ask someone who's doing inventory stocking. Once you have the box, make sure to wrap it in brown paper to hide any mention of it being a rifle or a golf club.

Fish along
04-25-2013, 03:52 PM
Id get a long piece of card board ,a little bit longer than the gun, about 12 or 14inches wide and simply roll it up and tape it..not sure about guns in the mail though.

ToXicXxX
04-25-2013, 03:55 PM
This is in a big boyt hard case. I was gonna paper wrap it. It's fully insured at any rate.

Fish along
04-25-2013, 04:18 PM
this is in a big boyt hard case. I was gonna paper wrap it. It's fully insured at any rate.

well paper wrap would do the trick ,,but you might be better of with a piece of tyvec,,its reall hard to tear ,unlike paper..,,so you can send it in the mail? I have an old muzzle loader down east do you think it can be shipped in the mail? Thank you

catnthehat
04-25-2013, 04:20 PM
I ship them all thee time wrapped in brown paper or cardboard-- never an issue.
Cat

winger7mm
04-25-2013, 04:23 PM
Im currently waiting on a rifle to come via purolator or another courier, ill find out in about 20 min who hes using. Shipped in a hard case, locked and taped up. We will pay a little more for shipping using a courier compared to canada post or greyhound. But worth it IMO

CheeseBurger
04-25-2013, 05:03 PM
I have a rifle box that a rifle was shipped to me in that you can have if you come and pick it up. Still has the moulded styrofoam in it.

Grizzly Adams
04-25-2013, 06:07 PM
Sold my Garand to Ontario. :D Was no big deal to build a suitable box for it, 1/4 plywood and 1x4. I expect any rifle shipped to me to arrive in good condition and think any I ship should arrive that way as well. My SVT arrived in a ****ty carboard box with some damage, packed in styrofoam peanuts. Not impressed

Grizz

zero_eight
04-25-2013, 07:39 PM
If you go to U Haul and buy a 'lamp box' they should have something long enough..i had to make it quite a bit shorter to ship a rifle.

ToXicXxX
04-25-2013, 09:13 PM
Wrapped the case in craft paper. The case is a heavy duty travel case and is well packed. The gun is also fully insured, should be good.

By the way, the lady at the Canada Post in Country Hills is a complete $(%&*. Incredibly rude, lots of questions, MAD that I had a venture one...

ToXicXxX
04-25-2013, 09:14 PM
well paper wrap would do the trick ,,but you might be better of with a piece of tyvec,,its reall hard to tear ,unlike paper..,,so you can send it in the mail? I have an old muzzle loader down east do you think it can be shipped in the mail? Thank you

Yup, Canada post has no issues with firearms. As long as they are in an unmarked box and have some sort of "safe locking mechanism". I sell all my guns with trigger locks anyways.