PDA

View Full Version : Stewardship Licence Pilot Project

jstelfox
04-25-2013, 02:50 PM
How would you like to legally harvest an unlimited number of non-native brookies and rainbows, while helping native fish populations to recover!!?? If so, read on.

The Stewardship Licence Pilot Project permits anglers to harvest an unlimited number of non-native brook and/or rainbow trout from specified waters, provided that they annually pass the fish ID test and have participated in one supervised outing.

Since 2009, anglers participating in this project have harvested almost 3,000 brook trout from the specified waters (see attached data summary). Starting in 2013, harvest of non-native rainbow trout will also be permitted in a few specified waters in the Oldman River watershed.

The attached background information sheet provides some basic information about the Stewardship Licence Pilot Project, which is a spin-off of the Quirk Creek Brook Trout Suppression Project. When the Quirk Creek Brook Trout Suppression Project was initiated in 1998, brook trout comprised over 90% of the fish population in Quirk Creek. Since then, anglers have harvested over 9,500 brook trout from Quirk Creek, brook trout have declined to 30% of the fish population by 2008 and the biomass of cutthroat trout has increased to near record levels.

In order to participate in the Stewardship Licence Pilot Project, anglers must annually pass the fish ID test, which consists of 16 pictures of the four fish species (brook, bull, cutthroat and rainbow trout) that are found in the streams covered by the Stewardship Licence. Anglers can take the test either at our Fish and Wildlife office, which is located on the 2nd floor of the Cochrane Provincial Building at 213-1st St West, Cochrane, or at Trout Unlimited Canada's office at Suite 160, 6712 Fisher St SE, Calgary (phone 403-209-5185).

If you didn't pass the test on your first attempt, you are permitted to do the test a second time, while using a key that shows the key-identifying features. The effectiveness of the fish ID test and key in teaching anglers how to identify fish is apparent by the fact that only 15 of the over 9,500 fish harvested by anglers from Quirk Creek were not brook trout.

Anglers who have previously done a supervised outing can then be issued a Stewardship Licence. Anglers who have never done a supervised outing will have their names put on a list and will be contacted when supervised outings are being planned. After completing a supervised outing, you can then be issued a Stewardship Licence, which will permit you to harvest an unlimited number of brook and/or rainbow trout from the streams specified on the Stewardship Licence.

Jim Stelfox
Senior Fisheries Biologist, Southern Rockies Area
Fish and Wildlife Division, Alberta Environment and Sustainable Resource Development
Box 1420, Rm 228, 2nd floor, Provincial Building
213-1st Street West
Cochrane, Alberta, Canada T4C 1B4
Tel. 403/851-2205, Fax 403/932-2158
Jim.Stelfox@gov.ab.ca

BeeGuy
04-25-2013, 02:53 PM
:sHa_shakeshout:

bessiedog
04-25-2013, 03:20 PM
Excellent!!!

Email fired off!!!

icefever
04-26-2013, 03:11 PM
Went and wrote my stewartship test today now just have to wait till we can get out on the water for the water test. Anyone else wrote theirs. Personally I think it would be a good test for all fishermen to take

the local angler
04-26-2013, 05:12 PM
hey jim is it mon to fri only or can we write the test on the weekend too? i definately am up for this again.i dont get off work till 4pm so trying to find time to come down during reg hours is kinda hard.

Flieguy
04-26-2013, 09:42 PM
Personally I think it would be a good test for all fishermen to take

100% agree with that!

had my stewardship license last year, kinda fun to participate in :)

jstelfox
04-27-2013, 03:10 PM
hey jim is it mon to fri only or can we write the test on the weekend too? i definately am up for this again.i dont get off work till 4pm so trying to find time to come down during reg hours is kinda hard.

Thanks for your interest in this project.

Trout Unlimited plans to make the test available to anglers on the weekend in the near future. Please contact Brian Meagher (403-209-5185) to find out which weekend(s) testing will be available.

Thanks,
Jim

jacenbeers
05-21-2013, 05:11 PM
I am definitely going to become involved in this in 2013.

duorden
07-11-2013, 08:59 AM
Have always wanted to fly the Oldman, but never found the time. This year I am for sure going. Thanks to getting my stewardship license again this year, the trip will be worth it. I just have to remember to take the camera along. My thanks to you Jim for making this possible for me.

Norman
07-11-2013, 10:18 AM
Did my outing yesterday and took 5 home, had a great time

Flieguy
07-11-2013, 10:37 AM
sibbbald creek was producing last weekend on a #14 stimulator

achtanelion
07-11-2013, 03:33 PM
This seems like an awesome way of dealing with non-native/invasive species. I'm wondering though, about the possibility of extending it to certain stocked waters. Up around edmonton there are a number of stocked lakes that have had perch introduced. It'd be nice to see this program extended to unlimited perch harvest from those lakes.

J

huntsfurfish
07-11-2013, 05:27 PM
This seems like an awesome way of dealing with non-native/invasive species. I'm wondering though, about the possibility of extending it to certain stocked waters. Up around edmonton there are a number of stocked lakes that have had perch introduced. It'd be nice to see this program extended to unlimited perch harvest from those lakes.

J

Hope it doesn't extend to that. The reason for not allowing a harvest is to discourage(illegal) stocking, not reward them.:)

Every lake up there would soon have perch.

achtanelion
07-11-2013, 08:55 PM
Hope it doesn't extend to that. The reason for not allowing a harvest is to discourage(illegal) stocking, not reward them.:)

Every lake up there would soon have perch.

I understand why they don't allow unlimited harvest, I just think it's misguided. I don't believe there are a large number of illegal stockers, but they have an outsized effect on the fishery.

The problem with perch is that a few perch will very swiftly become a whole heck of a lot of perch, especially in small trout lakes where they have next to no predation. They take over the ecosystem so thoroughly that they end up stunning everything in the lake.

Unfortunately, F&W's responses seem to be limited to either poisoning the lake, or turning off any aeration and hoping that all the perch die off (with the trout dieing as a side effect). I understand that budget constraints prevent any high intensity interventions, but it'd be nice if they'd let the public help out.

I think that the number of illegal stockers that get "rewarded" would be far fewer than the number of public stewards that would get the "reward" of helping manage the impact of the perch on their local fisheries.

If the problem's no effective predation, then allowing high intensity predation through human intervention would seem to be a low cost way out. I'd also like to see a no toss backs rule instituted for perch infested lakes.

You could even make the rule change contingent on no more introductions.

J

spinN'flyfish
06-24-2014, 05:28 PM
is it to late to join? i'd like to help the ecosystem...

the local angler
06-24-2014, 05:41 PM
there is a delay for this years permits and stuff, should hear something in the next week or so, anyone can still participate.

spinN'flyfish
07-17-2014, 10:05 PM
haven't heard about this from tuc but does anyone know if its startin' yet?

Lornce
07-18-2014, 06:45 AM
haven't heard about this from tuc but does anyone know if its startin' yet?

Also wrote my test this year. They are just planning outings. You will hear from them if you wrote the test this year. Wish the test was part of every fishing licensing.

EP2
07-18-2014, 08:04 AM

J

The program is to protect native fish stocks, not "mud-trout" (as much as I love stocked lakes).

Interesting to one day maybe see it extended to some Athabasca tribs for brookies.

gnugen
07-18-2014, 08:19 AM
The program is up and running and several dates for the written portion were held this/last week in Calgary. I'd suggest getting in touch with Lesley to get on the emailing list.

jacenbeers
07-18-2014, 06:56 PM
I love this project. I think it is a fantastic way to not only help our native species but also something to encourage me to get out and explore streams more. I spend lots of time in rivers and lakes and ponds and not enough in streams. I passed the test last week and will be going out for my field testing tomorrow. In the afternoon tomorrow I can start suppressing brookies.

Flieguy
07-18-2014, 06:58 PM
I love this project. I think it is a fantastic way to not only help our native species but also something to encourage me to get out and explore streams more. I spend lots of time in rivers and lakes and ponds and not enough in streams. I passed the test last week and will be going out for my field testing tomorrow. In the afternoon tomorrow I can start suppressing brookies.

great job! I had mine for 2 years but haven't got it this year... I'm moving the opposite direction and shying away from my creeks in favor of some stillwaters

Lornce
07-28-2014, 01:11 PM
Went for my Stewardship outing on Saturday. It was combined with an electro fishing sampling. Really interesting. Came away with a creel full of brookies that i caught.

Okotokian
07-28-2014, 01:14 PM
With my fishing prowess, this licence would be of absolutely no value. I RARELY catch anywhere close to my limit. LOL