PDA

View Full Version : Lure Refinishing

BeeGuy
04-26-2013, 06:58 PM
Picked up some clear coat lacquer to cover some Williams warblers and Cleo's.

Anyone try this before?

I'm sick of the finish getting worn so quickly.

dekker59
04-26-2013, 09:07 PM
I've used the wife's nail polish before, works pretty good for me. I've also seen people use model paints and such for some pretty neat colours or to make it glow in the dark

new LT
04-26-2013, 09:22 PM
I re-sprayed some Gibbs Crocs worked not to bad used a small air brush.

think i still have a bunch packed somewhere that have been cleaned on wire wheel but not sprayed yet...... should try to find them.

falroy
04-26-2013, 09:42 PM
of all the things I've tried for lure finishes I find 1hr epoxy painted on with a disposable brush has given me a nice clear hard finish that doesn't give the lure an amber tint. I'm sure there is something better out there but this seems to work for me

Mudslide
04-26-2013, 10:01 PM
Painting shiny metal is a recipe for the paint flaking off at the first contact with anything. Etch the metal before painting either with a chemical etching primer or by physically roughing up the surface. Actually both would be ideal.

new LT
04-26-2013, 10:37 PM
Painting shiny metal is a recipe for the paint flaking off at the first contact with anything. Etch the metal before painting either with a chemical etching primer or by physically roughing up the surface. Actually both would be ideal.

You are so right first ones i did had some flaking, using a wire wheel on them almost left like a beaned or sandblasted surface paint stuck real good.

Fishnafterwork
04-26-2013, 11:43 PM
Clear coat nail polish work good... But I like the character of nicks and dings

The Reel Deal
04-27-2013, 11:01 AM
agreed

anything with a chrome-like finish will have to be removed or the paint wont stick, even if you use primer.

pri
04-27-2013, 09:42 PM

Anyone try this before?

Yes. Works great. Be sure to read instructions on container.

Freedom55
04-28-2013, 08:50 AM
Try www.luremaking.com

Scroll down to the paint section in the catalogue and there are airbrushes and colors galore.

Canadian company. 6 day turn-around time. Order by phone, fax or on-line.

Free

Geezle
04-28-2013, 08:55 AM
I've never considered repainting lures, however last spring I picked up a bottle of Brasso with the intention of shining up the backs of my tarnished spoons.

Unfortunately buying the bottle of Braso was as far as I got with that idea...maybe this year... :sHa_sarcasticlol:

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
04-28-2013, 06:34 PM
I'd use clear coat in a tin can similar to a gallon of paint , when I'd make my own jigs that was years ago dip it 4 times and your laughing .

huntin'fool
04-28-2013, 09:12 PM

Anyone try this before?

I'm sick of the finish getting worn so quickly.

I've never done it, but I do use this stuff for clear coating my euro mount skulls.

http://www.krylon.com/products/uvresistant_clear/

I imagine it would work for you as well. It is pretty tough and easy to apply. Available at your local Wal-Mart! lol