PDA

View Full Version : New Owner Sherwood Park Achery Lanes

300WSM
07-22-2008, 12:31 AM
Yes it's true, On July 31 there will be a new owner at Sherwood Park Archery Lanes. This is not a rumor!

From what I've seen he has good ideas for the near future, including some renos to the show and upgrades to the merchandise side of things. I suspect there will be a couple transition growing pains but over all should relatively smooth. Some new logos, website, merchandise, brands etc.

Expect to see more merchandise out of the boxes on display( ie treestands), looking into a broad head tuning area/ range. Possibly elevated shooting tier. A archery lanes geared towards customer service.

I think this is the change Sherwood Park has need in some time. I for one will be stopping in prior to opening day to grant them my long lost business, back.

Pop in, I've heard there is also an elk calling seminar Aug 11, with a world class elk caller coming in,(the name is slipping me now); cost I think is only $10.

Finally a hunting club/store for hunters and shooters alike!

Welcome

7 REM MAG
07-22-2008, 12:48 AM
does anyone know if the staff will be staying the same? dan dave glen nathan etc?

300WSM
07-22-2008, 01:08 AM
I believe for the most part yes

rugatika
07-22-2008, 01:15 AM
Congrats to the new owners. I bought my first bow there (A browning maxim I think) from them almost 14 years ago. Always had great service there. Here's hoping the new owners continue and expand on that tradition.

Rug

gunslinger
07-22-2008, 06:15 AM

redneck posse
07-22-2008, 07:18 AM
never liked Sherwood park lanes don't know why. but they always seemed kind of snobby when i was starting out, like they never had time to help someone that was starting out. that why i went to Jim at pipestone. just might have to go back and see if the attitude has changed.

depopulator
07-22-2008, 08:50 AM
I spoke with the new owner last week and his enthusiasm and plans for the place are long overdue. He is born and raised locally, and has always stayed true to bowhunting, even when we tempted him with glamorous rifle hunts;).

I believe we will finally have a archery pro shop that actually cares about our sport and our needs as hunters and 3D shooters. Me, I'll save my $$ until after July 31 and will be sure to support this local business.

300WSM
07-22-2008, 11:12 AM
RPosse:

All I can say is give it a try, I know for a fact they are gearing to the service en
d of things.

With the new owners all I can say is, the staff is suppose to stay the same, as they are knowledgeable and the owners are gonna push the customer service.

I can say I've had the same experiences in the past as you. I welcome the change.

Let's go little local guy.

300WSM
07-22-2008, 11:18 AM
Info on the the elk hunting & calling seminar:

Hosted by Rockie Jacobsen

Cost $10.00
Aug 11,08 (Monday) 7:00 p.m.
@ Sherwood Park Archery Lanes

Call the lanes to register, guessing you can also pay at the door(not sure though)

Come out support the new management and local shop!

Rusty P. Bucket
07-22-2008, 03:13 PM
Jeez, I love that place.

My girlfriend (now my wife) bought me my first bow there about 24 years ago. A completely wooden Browning Bantam with 6 cedar arrows. It seems like only yesterday too. I spent so much time in there as a young man that they should have charged me rent. The bums behind the counter and on the firing line were always excellent company and willing to help a rookie out. Sure, there were a lot of stuffed shirts, poseurs and elitists there over the years, but screw them, life is too short to take them seriously.

I suppose Joe is off to retirement then? If so, I personally wish him the best, that is a damned tough business to run and he deserves a break. I would like to wish the new owners good luck too, and will be around shortly pass along my regards and harass the staff.
:)

300WSM
08-06-2008, 08:28 PM
Hey was in Today to pick up some stuff, man I got excellent service for a change! Loved it.

Noticed some newbies gettin set up and the owners really seemed to take the time to explain things to the new comers, not to mention let them shoot!

mikeo2
08-06-2008, 08:48 PM
Yah I have been in there a few time after work shooting my bow and the new owner is a great guy, he has actually been in there for a little while now getting the hang of things. 300WSM if you saw a big guy with short hair shooting a blue coloured bow in there tonight that was me.

Northern_Hunting_Mom
08-07-2008, 11:49 AM
They were great setting up my husband and daughter. Had them shoot with some instruction and fine tuned the bows. Spent over $1100 in there and it was all pleasant, good service without being pushy. They gave us 6 free passes too.

300WSM
08-07-2008, 06:07 PM
mikeo2:

I was hangin out with the new owner when you were shooting

Good to put a face to a name

Trav
08-08-2008, 12:23 AM
Yah I have been in there a few time after work shooting my bow and the new owner is a great guy, he has actually been in there for a little while now getting the hang of things. 300WSM if you saw a big guy with short hair shooting a blue coloured bow in there tonight that was me.

Mike

How is the APA I sold you working out?

mikeo2
08-10-2008, 06:25 PM
Trav, I freakin love that bow, it shoots awsome, I switched out rests though, to many arrows were falling through that one you had on there for some reason so I put an APA rest on it.

Trav
08-11-2008, 01:02 AM
Trav, I freakin love that bow, it shoots awsome, I switched out rests though, to many arrows were falling through that one you had on there for some reason so I put an APA rest on it.

cool, just would have had to adjkust the prongs inward to keep arrows on it

you got a sweet bow it shoots awesome

guidehunt
08-11-2008, 07:56 AM
was in last week ,they gave me great service and then some thanks .

Whitetail7
08-12-2008, 10:08 AM
Does anyone know store hours? I could always phone, but figured I would ask since I was online.

Hoochie Papa
08-12-2008, 10:34 AM
Store Hours

Monday 11:00am to 9:00pm
Tuesday 11:00am to 9:00pm
Wednesday 11:00am to 9:00pm
Thursday 11:00am to 9:00pm
Friday 11:00am to 9:00pm
Saturday 10:00am to 5:00pm
Sunday Closed (in Aug & Sept open 12-5)

Holidays Reduced hours on holidays, please call.

61A
08-17-2008, 09:45 PM
WOW,
It is amaizing how people can react to change. I for one ( sa it seems from the above posts) have had nothing but great service from the people at Sherwoodpark archery. Joe was an exceptional business man. It is a shame somany of you see otherwise. He is a hunter who has a outfitting business and he supports locals in their 3d shoots and he is the only range that I know of that has school programs.

I hope the new owners are 1/2 as great as Joe was. I hope the new guy can deliver all the things he said he will...new and bigger merchandice, and an elevated shooting area and broadhead range ect. I don't see where he is going to come up with the room...without taking away from the current range. Look how bad it sucks at Trophybook, now that they only have 3 lanes to shoot in. Ever try and practice there? Can never get any arrows in...

Well like I said, Joes is great and so were his staff...I think the new guy has large shoes to fill.

G-len

Mike_W
08-22-2008, 03:34 PM
I wonder if he was thinking of purchasing the autobody shop next door and turning the range? That the only way I can see expanding the range and mechandise area.

Anyone check out trophy book lately.....I walked in and didn't know if I was in the same place, great renovations! I guess theres new ownership there too.

stinkynuts
09-07-2008, 08:02 PM
i think dallas i very nice an knowlageable as he can come acroos strong sometimes his advise is good and he will sell you what you want and set it up good and make shure your happy so far it is nice to see him there fresh face fresh thinking i say i will be doing bissnes there for a long time i think as long as everything stays good

alpineman
09-15-2008, 11:21 AM
Just talked to Dallas and I won't be dealing with them don't know if he woke up on the wrong side of the bed but he was very rude with me, just called to see about certain products before making the 1 hour treck in there, after that kind of response I have no need in going in and purchasing off of them. I will deal elsewhere.

redneck posse
09-15-2008, 05:37 PM
RPosse:

All I can say is give it a try, I know for a fact they are gearing to the service en
d of things.

With the new owners all I can say is, the staff is suppose to stay the same, as they are knowledgeable and the owners are gonna push the customer service.

I can say I've had the same experiences in the past as you. I welcome the change.

Let's go little local guy.

okay i finally took your advice and checked them out after giving up on them three years ago. i was surprised what a big difference everone was friendly and helpfull even joked with the one guy. nothing at all like it used to be.. very good change i'll be back!!!!!!!

BigRackLover
10-08-2008, 11:35 AM
Yup,

I bought my bow from Joe 7 years ago, but it never seemed that he went the extra mile in servicing it so I quit going. I've been to store twice now and great, friendly, knowledgeable service from Dallas and others (despite been reallly really busy in there).

I still notice that there prices are always higher than other shops (For example Rage broadheads are $50 and I've found them for $30 online and most places are $40.)

A little politness goes a long way these days and they fixed my arrows in a few days despite the huge back log because I told him I had no spares left and in the end he did not even charge me cause we bought some gear and licenses.

Overall - superb experience, I left feeling that I'd promote the store and come back myself. I won't buy everything from his store but I will not hesitate to go back that's for sure. Plus I forgot how large the range is ... woowzer!

I still like the quietness/atmosphere at Pipestone though ... not quite as busy.

But in the end you can't seem to go wrong when buying a bow at Sherwood. My friend just did and Dallas through in 6 carbon arrows for free ...

Northern_Hunting_Mom
10-08-2008, 11:48 AM
I thought the store was open until 9 on Saturday when we went in at ten to 5. We still managed to get arrows cut and spend $140. Enjoyable place to go.

depopulator
10-08-2008, 01:31 PM
I stopped in last friday and spent the afternoon shooting my bow there. They had a great hunting video playing (I bought it), and Dallas was throwing all sorts of bows at me to try, including his personal Parker setup (really nice bow that Parker!). The atmosphere is definitely more casual and relaxed nowadays. I did end up leaving a couple hundred bucks lighter (not planned), but I found several hard to find items that the shop is now stocking, plus the camera arm that they ordered in for me. The service and atmosphere alone was worth every penny !

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
10-08-2008, 02:45 PM
Oh I know . We were in there Friday as well , not sure if your the fellow he was helping , with bows but definitely a change . I mean Joe and the previous staff did alright , but when It was busy no assistance whats so ever. I'm not knocking it .I think its great to see a young face in there . Good job to those guys . He also told us , that If we wanted anything that he could get it in . Ive been looking for a couple years at getting a red dot sight for my bow, similar to what guys use for crossbows , and that kind of stuff. He told us to simply bring in or phone in the order number and he could get it in here the shop in about 3 or 4 days .He never said how much of a mark up he would give , but I thought it was really nice . I found the sight I wanted and ended up ordering 4 days earlier from cabela's. But I just find it amazing how helpful these guys have become . The week before that I had a mishap with my quad and my bow. I didn't have it fastened down tight enough and it fell off the front of my quad and kind of ran it over , so they took at look at it and it seemed to be fine . Nothing major , It still draws back and fires the way it did before , just with a little roughness to it . It will be all good . Cant wait to get my new sight .And once again thank you guys down there , great guys .

Albertabowhunter
10-08-2008, 08:27 PM
I must say I enjoyed Joe, He was always willing to offer advice if you wanted it, and sometimes when you didnt, but he was always positive. Inmy opinion, he will be missed. I think Dallas has big shoes to fill, and from what I have seen and heard he's on the right track! SPA will still be my main place to shoot over the off season... Good to hear Dallas is willing to go the extra mile to order things in, I have a few special items I want.... Have to get him on it soon.... 3D season starts in 3 months!

solocam3
10-11-2008, 08:59 PM
WOW,
It is amaizing how people can react to change. I for one ( sa it seems from the above posts) have had nothing but great service from the people at Sherwoodpark archery. Joe was an exceptional business man. It is a shame somany of you see otherwise. He is a hunter who has a outfitting business and he supports locals in their 3d shoots and he is the only range that I know of that has school programs.

I hope the new owners are 1/2 as great as Joe was. I hope the new guy can deliver all the things he said he will...new and bigger merchandice, and an elevated shooting area and broadhead range ect. I don't see where he is going to come up with the room...without taking away from the current range. Look how bad it sucks at Trophybook, now that they only have 3 lanes to shoot in. Ever try and practice there? Can never get any arrows in...

Well like I said, Joes is great and so were his staff...I think the new guy has large shoes to fill.

G-len

Yes, Sherwood Park Archery has a great history of excellent service and follow up and community service. Joe is alweays out in AHEIA's "Women in the Outdoor" course at Alford Lake instructing and working with AHEIA's Youth Group. Joe should have more time now!!! I bought my first bow (a Browning Explorer II, 4 wheeler back in 1982 from the original owner (Jack Kempf, a great guy and Bowyer) Hope I spelt his name right, from them. Dallas has some big shoes to fill for sure and maybe some customer service etiquette to learn. My wife stopped in to get a WIN form for my daughter and he had no time for her, like what was she doing in there bothering him. She wont be back. When I went in to get some licenses later it was his wife and Joes wife behind the till and I mentioned that to them and she appoligized to me. Then later I went in again and there were two guys lined up at the till and Dallas came up to me and asked if I needed any help and I said I needed some Tags and he said these gentlemen are here for tags as well. So that was good. Communication is a big key to Customer Satisfaction.

diamond k
10-11-2008, 10:33 PM
I was in the other day and was basically treated like I was bothering them by trying to buy something. Not saying I wont ever shop there again but I will go to trophy book or order from cabelas/BPS first if it is possible. If not i will go to SPA but not my first choice anymore.

300WSM
10-13-2008, 05:33 PM
In my little pee brain I can't help but wonder if the guys who don't like the service are some of the people I've seen in the shop.

One Gentleman straight out asked Dallas to make him an arrow that would fly the same as his 2 arrows he presented(not made anymore). Dallas proceeded to weight both arrows (450 gr and 400 gr respectively)mmmmm different weight arrows. Dallas explained to the guy that the arrows were different weights and showed him the scale, then asked him which arrow he wanted to use as they were different lengths. The guy replies "just make them fly the same as both of these arrows fly the same."

This is where I roll my eyes and look for an adult beverage.

Dallas explains for over 15 minutes to this guy that at 20 yrds it is possible that these arrows are close but at further distances there is no way that these arrows will have the same POI.

Dallas again explains that he can get an arrow to duplicate flight but this guy has to pick the one he wants duplicated.

This customer gets all in a huff, presumably because Dallas has repeated himself 3 times as I was standing there and did not find his tone or demeanor offensive. I thought it was handled very professionally.

I mean people, come on! DO SOME HOMEWORK ON YOUR OWN! After dealing with 10 of these people in a day I'd be a tad on the owly side myself.

Pretending you know something does not actually mean you have a clue about what you are talking about. Do we come to your place of employment and tell you what is the best way to do your job. I doubt it!

Solocam3 sorry about your wife but if she followed the customer I just explained I could see why anyone could have came across the wrong way.

For those that wonder, I don't own shares. I just a regular guy who spends extra time with hobbies I love.

Good work Dallas and Jenn and staff!

redneck posse
10-13-2008, 05:42 PM
i don't know i've been in there 4-5 times in the last month. geting now that the guys in there give ME the gears for not haveing put an animal down yet. will be going back on wednesday to see if they can order me a sight that i found in cabelas that they wont ship up here. i like the service and the guys in there.

prinny53
10-16-2008, 10:42 PM
My nephew was in there a couple weeks back. He was looking to get his tags but had lost his WIN card and didn't have it on him. He was told that the only way they could get him his tags would be to pay a $9.00 surcharge to do a check to find his WIN #. After agreeing to pay the charge, he was unpleasantly blown off and basically told to pound salt and to find his tags elsewhere. My nephew then took his business to Crappy Tire where they did a search for his WIN # for free and got him his tags.

I'm not sure if this is an isolated incident but if that is what customer service is all about, I'll take all my business to trophy book or order in on Cabela's.