PDA

View Full Version : Battery holder for 8ft fish cat

Fish along
04-28-2013, 10:22 AM
WHEN IBOUGHT THIS ORIGINALLY IT HAD ONLY ,THIS MESH STUFF,AT THE BACK,HARDLY A GOOD BASE FOR A 12 VOLT ,SO I PICKED UP A PIECE OF ALUMINUM,APROXIMATELY 18X24INS , DRILLED HOLES IN IT TO LASH IT UNTO THE TUBING AT THE BACK, WITH ELECTRICAL TIE DOWNS. SO WHEN I TRIED IT OUT ON ITS MAIDEN VOYAGE , IT WAS WEIGHING DOWN AT THE REAR,SO I GOT A 12 INCH INNER TUBE , AND PLACED IT UNDER THE ALUMINUM BASE, TO SUPPORT THE BATTERY WEIGHT. SINCE I LEFT THIS ONE UP NORTH,I NEED TO BUILD ANOTHER ONE .MY QUESTION IS DOES ANYONE HAVE AN EASIER IDEA IF SO PLEASE TELL ME,,THANKS:angry3:

rmatei
04-28-2013, 10:39 AM
Find yourself a couple of used plastic cutting boards. You need at least 3/4 of an inch thick, so use 2 of the standard type or buy a 3/4 from Butchers & packers. No corrosion, fairly light and strong enough to hold the battery. You can drill holes in the boards and use u bolts around the pontoon tubing. If you want you can use a 3/4 thick piece cut 6 x 8 and mount to the main board for a transom bracket.

new LT
04-28-2013, 01:56 PM
I had similar issues with mine with the weight of the battery,I found I was able to move my pontoons back or frame forward which ever way you look at it. I also put a swivel plate on my seat and drilled the holes a little more forward on the frame, between the two it compensated for the extra weight on the back.

As far as the large cutting boards you can get them at Wholesale club on the corner of 111 ave- 149 st

If you still need extra flotation you can get these foam tubes at princess auto
they can be shaped like a pontoon to track better in the water.

Fish along
04-28-2013, 02:17 PM
I had similar issues with mine with the weight of the battery,I found I was able to move my pontoons back or frame forward which ever way you look at it. I also put a swivel plate on my seat and drilled the holes a little more forward on the frame, between the two it compensated for the extra weight on the back.

As far as the large cutting boards you can get them at Wholesale club on the corner of 111 ave- 149 st

If you still need extra flotation you can get these foam tubes at princess auto
they can be shaped like a pontoon to track better in the water.

These foam tubes about how big are they?

new LT
04-28-2013, 02:41 PM
These foam tubes about how big are they?
http://www.princessauto.com/pal/product/8442329/Tubing/4-ft-x-6-in.-Octagonal-Foam-Tube

Bhflyfisher
04-28-2013, 03:24 PM
Curious as to how big your battery is, and how big the electric motor is? Even when i had my 10ft pontoon i was running a small 30lb thrust electric, and a small battery. Was fine with a bit of a seat adjustment. Charge was fine for a solid day and a half. But as soon as i'd put on a bigger battery, and my 38lb thrust motor, it was a huge pain.

Fish along
04-28-2013, 04:20 PM
curious as to how big your battery is, and how big the electric motor is? Even when i had my 10ft pontoon i was running a small 30lb thrust electric, and a small battery. Was fine with a bit of a seat adjustment. Charge was fine for a solid day and a half. But as soon as i'd put on a bigger battery, and my 38lb thrust motor, it was a huge pain.

yeah its same weight as an ordinary car battery.and 36lb thrust minn kota.

drhook
04-28-2013, 06:41 PM
I flipped my seat bracket upside down for lakes when I use the motor and battery. I sit up higher allowing me to swing my legs to the side and rest my feet comfortably on the one pontoon. Battery fits centered on the pontoon, under the seat inside a battery case now. When I float a river I flip the bracket around again so I sit lower and use the oars.