PDA

View Full Version : glenmore ice off?

happyfisher
04-28-2013, 06:42 PM
is the glenmore res in Calgary still frozen over? are the shores open?

if anyone knows thanks for your time.

Happy

Blake
04-28-2013, 06:45 PM
It's breaking up fast now. Shoreline is open. Around the bridge anyway.

catchandeat
04-28-2013, 09:07 PM
hurrah! wish I could hit it opening day but i'm sadly at work, will definetely go on the weekend though! :sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout:

Pikehunter13
04-28-2013, 09:12 PM
hurrah! wish I could hit it opening day but i'm sadly at work, will definetely go on the weekend though! :sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout:

Yup! Big browns here I come.
I'm gonna be harvesting a few!

SCHOOCH
04-28-2013, 10:05 PM
I live a 2 min walk away so i will go have a peek tomorrow sometime....my son was over there on Saturday and said the ice wouldn't last too long. I will let ya know what i see............

Moefoe
04-29-2013, 02:08 AM
Yup! Big browns here I come.
I'm gonna be harvesting a few!

How do you catch Browns in there, all I get are pike and lots of them? Do tell!!

TheBatman
04-29-2013, 08:31 AM
I would love hit her up this week in the Canoe hopefully. I have a real itch to float on water instead of walking on frozen water. :D

What is best lures to use in the reservoir these days? I did not have much luck last year.

Lornce
04-29-2013, 10:30 AM
Watching the new this morning and Glenmore still looked like it had a lot of ice from the traffic chopper view.

SCHOOCH
04-29-2013, 10:58 AM
How do you catch Browns in there, all I get are pike and lots of them? Do tell!!

X2........I hit only 1 brown last spring, it was a hog and not 1 after it so im in for a Glenmore Brown lesson as well because mine was a total fluke!!!!!!!!!

SCHOOCH
04-29-2013, 03:57 PM
South Glenmore still frozen right to the shore.......too nasty out to check the north side......

Buck Krazy
04-29-2013, 05:41 PM
Lucky to catch anything, fishing there for the most part is VERY poor

BeeGuy
04-29-2013, 06:28 PM
x2

It's mostly small, juvenile pike.

It seems as though no one releases anything that is caught due to the reg's.

Bow flyman
04-29-2013, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the update, SCHOOCH. It definitely wont be fishable on opening day. I will have to wait awhile still.

SCHOOCH
04-29-2013, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the update, SCHOOCH. It definitely wont be fishable on opening day. I will have to wait awhile still.

I will keep you guys posted, hopefully i can check out the North end tomorrow but its not looking very good at this point!!!!!

Pikehunter13
04-29-2013, 11:01 PM

X2........I hit only 1 brown last spring, it was a hog and not 1 after it so im in for a Glenmore Brown lesson as well because mine was a total fluke!!!!!!!!!

2.5 inch Pink Pearl buzzbomb and the Green Pearl Buzzbomb work great.
If it's cloudy out use green. If it's sunny use the pink.

Location near the mcDonalds. Theres a hint

Buck Krazy
04-30-2013, 10:18 AM
Lol its gonna be shoulder to shoulder ther now. Good job!

The Fisherman Guy
04-30-2013, 05:07 PM
North side of Glenmore is open water, south side is opening up. Glenmore will be fish able on the opener.

SCHOOCH
04-30-2013, 05:19 PM
Ya i saw the open water on the North side today by the shore........south side still didnt look open but that changes every hour this time of year!!!!

WayneChristie
04-30-2013, 05:44 PM
as of today just after noon. :bad_boys_20:
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/glenmoreapril30_zpsbe6c9cb0.jpg (http://s787.photobucket.com/user/rollinghillbilly/media/glenmoreapril30_zpsbe6c9cb0.jpg.html)
sure a lot uglier than the water I was looking at in Hawaii at the beginning of the flight!

SCHOOCH
04-30-2013, 06:30 PM
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/glenmoreapril30_zpsbe6c9cb0.jpg (http://s787.photobucket.com/user/rollinghillbilly/media/glenmoreapril30_zpsbe6c9cb0.jpg.html)
sure a lot uglier than the water I was looking at in Hawaii at the beginning of the flight!

Welcome back Mr. Christie........i thought i told you that i needed to grant you permission to come back to this forum, you being such a bad influence and all and always picking fights!!!!!! LOL Im looking forward to getting what ya brought me back from Hawaii.......better not be those CRABS you were talking about!!!!!!:sSc_hiding:

jeprli
04-30-2013, 06:36 PM
For those that wonder what to use, anything works as long as you can find fish. Jigs, spoons, plugs, gliders, spinner, bait. All of these work great. I'll keep my hopes up and pay a visit with a fly rod and a switch, I really want to hook one on fly gear. Hopefully wind is at my back and will help with casting far out.

Good luck everyone, and put the fish back, meat from these browns and rainbows is very, very poor quality. I've taken one years ago and still regret it. Taste in my mouth was much sweeter while fighting the fish, eating it sucked and reminded me of stale sea urchin.

davis77
05-02-2013, 02:29 PM
you must be eating the wrong ones cause the big browns i get are so orange and taste wonderful.

kevinhits
05-02-2013, 02:51 PM

Welcome back Wayne.......LOL

To AO and of course back from hawaii:bad_boys_20:

ABWalleyeGuy
05-05-2013, 09:27 PM
Know what happens when you keep all the big ones? No more big ones! Clear lake. Enough said. Many many keeper 14" trout in the river that taste much better. Keep fish, just don't keep the big girls. I will never keep a fish over 5lbs and I hope most people don't. When you keep a big fish, nobody is ever going to have the pleasure of catching it again, and it will never be able to pass on its superior genes ever again. Or..... You can whack em, brag, and eat her..... Once.

We as fishermen are the best conservationists. It's up to us to make sure our favourite pastime will still be worthwhile in 20 years. Or..... You can pillage for a couple years and move on to the next lake to plunder.

I'm not against keeping fish. I do. Just not the future of my favorite addiction.
Good thing it's canoe and kayak only on Glenmore! There isn't a ton of those large, old trout in that lake. Put them back for others to enjoy please.

Soapbox out.

BeeGuy
05-05-2013, 09:35 PM
x2

throw the little ones back so they can get big too

Pikehunter13
05-05-2013, 11:59 PM
Know what happens when you keep all the big ones? No more big ones! Clear lake. Enough said. Many many keeper 14" trout in the river that taste much better. Keep fish, just don't keep the big girls. I will never keep a fish over 5lbs and I hope most people don't. When you keep a big fish, nobody is ever going to have the pleasure of catching it again, and it will never be able to pass on its superior genes ever again. Or..... You can whack em, brag, and eat her..... Once.

We as fishermen are the best conservationists. It's up to us to make sure our favourite pastime will still be worthwhile in 20 years. Or..... You can pillage for a couple years and move on to the next lake to plunder.

I'm not against keeping fish. I do. Just not the future of my favorite addiction.
Good thing it's canoe and kayak only on Glenmore! There isn't a ton of those large, old trout in that lake. Put them back for others to enjoy please.

Soapbox out.

I already took a brown home, BIG O'l Brown trout. Tasted awesome.
25 1/4 inches long and about 7-8 lbs

I got a lot of meat out of him
Nothing wrong with the water in the glenmore.

Regulations say I can keep upto 5 trout :)
Glenmore Reservoir
May 1 to Oct. 31 – Trout limit 5; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Pike limit 3 (no size limit); Perch limit 15; Bait fish not allowed.

Moefoe
05-06-2013, 02:48 AM
I already took a brown home, BIG O'l Brown trout. Tasted awesome.
25 1/4 inches long and about 7-8 lbs

I got a lot of meat out of him
Nothing wrong with the water in the glenmore.

Regulations say I can keep upto 5 trout :)
Glenmore Reservoir
May 1 to Oct. 31 – Trout limit 5; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Pike limit 3 (no size limit); Perch limit 15; Bait fish not allowed.

Yeah nice fish:thinking-006: Was actually gonna open up a new thread on Glenmore but taught i'd give it a shot here first! I know a thing or two about fishing but for the life of me I can't figure out that frickin RES...all pike and nice ones too! Back when I was a kid by the canoe club, big perch with a float and minnow...not only have I not caught a nice Trout, I haven't even seen one caught! Of coarse I know there in there, seen em leaping 3' out of the water for no apparent reason on summer evenings and heard about them being landed..............do I really have to buy some buzz bombs?? Help a fella out!!:angry3:

SCHOOCH
05-06-2013, 07:30 AM
Went last night for a few hours with my little girl and we ended up hitting a beautiful male about 6-7 lbs on a storm suspending white/green, guy next to me lost one about the same size on a buzz bomb. Once i get intellegent enough to learn how to post photos i will put the photo up. Both browns hit about 5 minutes apart then died off, right about 845pm.

jeprli
05-06-2013, 08:02 AM
Nice catch, a bit overweight considering the lentgh!

Drullexx
05-10-2013, 09:46 AM
Going to fish the Glenmore tomorrow! :)

Hoping to rent a canoe to get out on the water. Is it open enough to do so?

Thanks!

willlyt
05-11-2013, 12:52 PM
Fished Glenmore last evening; the wife brought in a solitary hammer-handle northern. Reservoir is fully open. Massive clouds of bugs on the western end where the river meets the res. Lost a perch near the river mouth on a bobber, and had several light, light nibbles. They were there, but not particularly interested. I had a weak hit on a weed-less red devil spoon. They just weren't biting hard.

I bought a buzz bomb for the first time yesterday, still haven't used it, but have been curious as to their success. I see an awful lot of folks that tend to swear by them, so I do believe I'll give one a try. Are these things as good as people say they are?
:thinking-006:

kevinhits
05-11-2013, 02:14 PM
Fished Glenmore last evening; the wife brought in a solitary hammer-handle northern. Reservoir is fully open. Massive clouds of bugs on the western end where the river meets the res. Lost a perch near the river mouth on a bobber, and had several light, light nibbles. They were there, but not particularly interested. I had a weak hit on a weed-less red devil spoon. They just weren't biting hard.

I bought a buzz bomb for the first time yesterday, still haven't used it, but have been curious as to their success. I see an awful lot of folks that tend to swear by them, so I do believe I'll give one a try. Are these things as good as people say they are?
:thinking-006:

I have also bought a couple of Buzz bombs and wondering the best time to use them and what species is best as well

Drullexx
05-11-2013, 07:20 PM
As mentioned above, the Glenmore Reservoir is entirely ice free and open for fishing. Actually went for my first time today, caught a pike. My first too!

Caught it using a basic brown grub along the shore. TONS of people out today.

newguy
05-11-2013, 07:30 PM
jazz caught wayyyyyyyy over her limit!!

BeeGuy
05-11-2013, 07:32 PM
jazz caught wayyyyyyyy over her limit!!

By law will nail you for a $100 fine if they see your dog in the res.

BeeGuy
05-11-2013, 07:34 PM
just ciurious as where to fish and what rigging is need at the moment using a wire leader with a good size 5 of diamond spoon

Lose the wire leader and use 3 feet of 15lb+ mono as a leader.