PDA

View Full Version : Slave Lake Anglers Cup Tournament 2013 Expectations

Bound2Fish
04-30-2013, 11:10 AM
Anyone entering in this tourney?

Just wondering what the atmosphere and fishing is like. Any input and comments are appreciated.

Freedom55
04-30-2013, 11:53 AM
We all breathe the same air, and all the tournament guys are the same; tournament anglers. No one ever tells you what's hot and what's not except how darn fast their boat will go. Like a car club. Ford vs. Chevy. E-Tech vs. Virado.

The fish are basically "cookie-cutter" with the odd big one thrown in. If you get a big one, you are close to the money. If you get two big ones you win!!

Two weigh-ins at a floating scale house. Shotgun start. Big water, big waves. Sometimes up to 4'+. Risky business. Sometimes dead-flat-calm.

Camping on the river, great boat launch. Fished it last year.

Free

Shmag
04-30-2013, 12:30 PM
I'm in it as well...have been for a lot of years now. Its a good derby, when I first started and had a smaller boat I stayed closer to town(east) and it seemed like most tourney fish were caught more to the west end. I now have a bigger boat for the last couple years and running more to the west only to find out most of the tourney fish have been caught in the east. haha.
Just when you figure you have the lake figured out you realize how little you know...point being its a big body of water and the tourney fish can be scattered giving anyone old and new an advantage or disadvantage.

I would encourage you to sign up, and have some fun. As far as freedom's comments that the fish are cookie cutters is bang on...However from what I seen of the fish this past winter I think its going to be a big change in it. The fish were looking really healthy with nice color and very chunky, actually its the best I've seen the walleye out of slave in a lot of years. A couple years ago I think you needed about a 3.25 lb average to win first...I would almost bet close to a 4lb average will be needed this year.

Join up and Good Luck !!!

Nakoda boater
04-30-2013, 12:54 PM
Shmag
What do you have for a boat now?

Shmag
04-30-2013, 03:00 PM
Shmag
What do you have for a boat now?

Im running a 21ft Tracker Tundra...

Shmag
04-30-2013, 07:27 PM
Im running a 21ft Tracker Tundra...

To this I should also add, on some derbies when the water was swelling, I felt safer in a 17 ft boat than my 21 fter. As the smaller boats can take most waves head on, when I was in tighter swells I had to 45 each and every wave with the 21 other wise the next wave was IN my bow.

I am expecting it to be calm waters for the derby weekend:sHa_shakeshout:. Just from the past and the way weekends would line up the 14-16th weekend has been calm...on the ones where the weekends would fall around the 18-20th has been the rough waters...hope im right...

Walleye101
04-30-2013, 08:02 PM
If you have a Lund, you will have no problems on Slave's roughest water's!:):)

bobalong
04-30-2013, 08:13 PM
http://anglerscup.ca/2012-tournament-standings-2/

hal53
04-30-2013, 09:01 PM
What are the dates????

Shmag
05-01-2013, 07:21 AM
What are the dates????

The slave anglers is June 14 & 15th...that would be a fri/sat. In the event that 1 day is cancelled due to weather they would use sunday the 16th as an alternative day

warriorboy10
05-01-2013, 09:18 AM
Anyone entering in this tourney?

Just wondering what the atmosphere and fishing is like. Any input and comments are appreciated.

If you can find a way to keep the bazzillion 2.2 pounders off your hook and catch a 3 once in a while you can do OK. Bait not required. Anything that swims catches em.

Well run tournament for sure.

Bound2Fish
05-01-2013, 11:10 AM
Sweet well I might have to attend. So far it sounds like no one really has a bad thing to say about the tournament.

bsnyder
05-01-2013, 06:30 PM
Been doing this one fer a lot of year.Really enjoyed it when we used to weigh in on shore, now is a little bit of a wait. Big water and yes , it gets rough.This lake is not for the faint of heart. Not uncommon to run 80 - 100 miles in a day with 2 weigh ins. Lots of fish in 2 pd range, have caught them on liqourish , even cigerete buts for a laugh. I prefer leeches , grace likes minnows.Have fun, see you there

Shmag
05-10-2013, 10:56 AM
Right around half full...lots of spots available to come and take the BIG money...Get your entry in !!!

Bound2Fish
05-10-2013, 08:49 PM
Right around half full...lots of spots available to come and take the BIG money...Get your entry in !!!

My friend and I have signed up. Im pumped to get out there and have some fun.

Just Cowboy
05-10-2013, 09:59 PM
Have good rain gear. If you want a tip pull blades and cranks with worms. Big blades, Wayne

bsnyder
05-11-2013, 07:22 AM
Have good rain gear. If you want a tip pull blades and cranks with worms. Big blades, Wayne

:bad_boys_20:" HI WAYNE":bad_boys_20:

Shmag
05-11-2013, 08:40 AM
My friend and I have signed up. Im pumped to get out there and have some fun.

AWESOME !!!...nice to see support coming from down south. Good luck guys !!!

Bound2Fish
05-11-2013, 02:07 PM
Looks like there are 81/150 entered so still lots of room if you want to get in on it and its only about a month away.

Shmag
05-22-2013, 05:17 AM
About 3 weeks away....91 entered out of 150 available...still plenty of room....

skykomish sunrise
05-22-2013, 12:55 PM
our entry is sent off and now just waiting for confirmation. Can't wait because this will be our first one at slave...Sebastian n rusty

Mark H
05-23-2013, 11:44 AM
This will be my first time on Slave. Can anyone recommend a good hotel?, don't want to haul the trailer 9hrs. A map with the boundaries marked would be cool also.
Good luck to all competitors.

Shmag
05-23-2013, 03:19 PM
This will be my first time on Slave. Can anyone recommend a good hotel?, don't want to haul the trailer 9hrs. A map with the boundaries marked would be cool also.
Good luck to all competitors.

It would probably be the Lakeview Hotel...it doesn't have a lake view,lol and don't get this mixed up with lakeside which also is not on lakeside..lol. Other choice would be the Holiday Inn.

Holiday Inn and Lakeview are probably the 2 best for truck/boat parking, also a super 8 but they don't have a very good parking lot for tandems. I would ask for a room with a view of the parking lot, nice piece of mind checking your package every now and then, but guessing you wont have any troubles at these 2.

I don't have any maps, if you are rigged with gps in your boat they will give the long/lat marking in the reg package. But if you wanted to see it on google earth it would be roughly from the first big point west of canyon creek on the south shore and pretty much a straight line to the north shore line.

Hope that helps some and Good Luck in the derby !!!

Mark H
05-23-2013, 04:19 PM
Thanks Shmag. To me that looks like just the eastern 2/3's of the east basin, that's a good thing... HUGE lake to try and figure out in a couple days.:)

Shmag
05-26-2013, 01:43 PM
95 entered out of 150 spots available...still time and room to get an entry in.

One thing I always thought was awesome of the organizers is creating "Team Army" which they sponsor 2 members of the Canadian Forces, rigged boat, accomadations, and entry fee...

Bound2Fish
06-03-2013, 11:46 AM
97 of 150 teams entered. The tourney is coming up fast and I am excited.

Shmag
06-03-2013, 12:31 PM
97 of 150 teams entered. The tourney is coming up fast and I am excited.

Yep, coming fast and still lots of spots available.

For the morning coffee drinkers timmy's and McD's is open 24 hrs, but only the drive thru's. You won't get your boat thru the timmys drive thru....most guys just park and walk up and knock on the drive window

McD's... I pulled my 21 ft thru their drive thru, but had to stop far away from their order box and cut the first curve very wide...lol

Good luck to all that's entered !!!

bsnyder
06-03-2013, 06:51 PM
Yep, coming fast and still lots of spots available.

For the morning coffee drinkers timmy's and McD's is open 24 hrs, but only the drive thru's. You won't get your boat thru the timmys drive thru....most guys just park and walk up and knock on the drive window

McD's... I pulled my 21 ft thru their drive thru, but had to stop far away from their order box and cut the first curve very wide...lol

Good luck to all that's entered !!!

I think I have another team from Big River coming:)

Shmag
06-04-2013, 05:03 PM
I think I have another team from Big River coming:)

Right on Bob.

Bump for Toddler

ReayMan
06-04-2013, 11:24 PM
We all breathe the same air, and all the tournament guys are the same; tournament anglers. No one ever tells you what's hot and what's not except how darn fast their boat will go. Like a car club. Ford vs. Chevy. E-Tech vs. Virado.

The fish are basically "cookie-cutter" with the odd big one thrown in. If you get a big one, you are close to the money. If you get two big ones you win!!

Two weigh-ins at a floating scale house. Shotgun start. Big water, big waves. Sometimes up to 4'+. Risky business. Sometimes dead-flat-calm.

Camping on the river, great boat launch. Fished it last year.

Free

Free hit the nail on the head! Could not have said it better!! See you guys out there!

Bound2Fish
06-11-2013, 02:39 PM
Getting closer now... Cant wait. Supposed to rain all week and weekend so bring your rain gear.

Jamie Black R/T
06-11-2013, 03:18 PM
ill take buckets of rain over wind outta the north.

see ya up there...good luck all! :)

Freedom55
06-12-2013, 04:41 PM
I'm told that fishing had not commenced on Tuesday by some tournament guys that were there since Sunday. There was too much wind, making the lake unsafe. Now there is too much rain and other bad weather. Any updates on the pre-fishing??

Free